January 26th, 2009
11:42 AM GMT

DAVOS, Switzerland - I like to arrive in Davos a few days before the World Economic Forum begins when I can experience the picturesque Swiss town without the thousands of delegates. During the Davos week, getting a hotel room here is impossible.

Many stay in apartments, or worse, in nearby towns (oh the shame of it!). This year I made a bit of Quest Personal History (QPH)! I am so early I am the only person staying in my hotel. The existing guests checked out (a group of German skiers) and the manager asked me what time I wanted him to come in to make my breakfast, since I am the only person here.

In all my years of travel for CNN Business Traveller, I have stayed in big hotels, small hotels, grand hotels, shocking hotels… but I have never been the ONLY guest staying in a hotel.

By this evening, other early birders will have arrived and I shall have to ‘share’ my hotel! In the days ahead I shall write about the issues at Davos.

Until then I shall enjoy another moment of QPH… today I will ski! I know of no real research into this, but delegates always ask each other, “have you ever actually skied during Davos?” The answer is usually long and rambling about why best intentions have been thwarted; panels, meetings, lunches “got in the way."

This year I will get up the mountain, then when the question is asked I can be very smug and say “of course I have skied, oh, and I even had the hotel to myself!”

Hotels and skiing… this is indeed going to be an historic Davos meeting!

Tune in to CNN International each evening at 1900 GMT to catch Richard’s new show, Quest Means Business.

For more coverage of this year's World Economic Forum, go to our special Davos page.

1. Hotelroundup.co.uk

I hope the boys know about this, they would be so ecstatic!

January 26, 2009 at 1:04 pm |
  2. Shefaet

Super...Unbelievable...

January 26, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  3. Arve Hegerberg

He is a lucky man ,beeng all alone in a davos hotel.I can imagine his joy when he is walking toowards the skilifts and on the top can go to the slopes and have a nice relaxing tour down the hillside,looking forward to a good hot irish coffee in the lounge.Not many of us will be as luckey as mr.Quest,he really achived a quest.Have a nice meeting.

January 26, 2009 at 2:32 pm |
  4. d. griffith

Don't watch any scary movies especially The Shining.

January 27, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  5. Robert Saly

Hi
    reg. Davos 2009. Is it not ironic that so many high calibre people come to talk about the financial crisis but they arrived in private jets and big limos....should they not start setting some example in this crisis of the century?...maybe they should.
    Regards Rob from Switzerland

January 27, 2009 at 6:58 pm |
  6. Cho, Jae-hwan

Gosh! I envy you Richard.
    Have a nice stay in Davos. I heard that magnitude of events are reduced because of the current situation. But you're the lucky man! Didn't you injured during your ski in Davos?
    I hope not!

January 28, 2009 at 3:32 am |
  7. Antonella Laubacher

Really enjoyed seeing your actual trip there as I used to go to school there and struggled to get there in those days too, so nothing much changed for mere mortals. Also thought your interview with the founder excellent and the final question will the bankers apologize I will follow with interest to see if they do, some of them...

Enjoy it!!

January 29, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  8. icon pack

P.S. Please review friendsicon34.deviantart.com/art/Design-Icon-Set-312204953

September 21, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
  9. Edmark

kochiz: Pucha es que yo no leo a los gurfaes del disef1o de informacif3n! Habia visto ese reidsef1o que Greg Storey habia hecho al sistema de informacif3n de amenazas de la Casa Blanca. Su blog es uno de mis favoritos (de su LONGBOARD saque la idea para la columna Bookmarks de este blog).Juan Pablo Tapia: Amigo JP, al parecer no. Ya que cuando en el ticker (que ya no es un ticker) inferior la noticia es de deportes sale en verde, cuando es de economia sale en morado, etc.gatamelatta: Yo amaba esa frase de Mies van der Rohe, hasta que escuche9 la versif3n de 37signals: Less is less . Porque decir menos es me1s, es decir que me1s es bueno. Menos es mejor, asi que Menos es menos .

November 3, 2012 at 11:03 am |