April 10th, 2009
10:04 AM GMT

1. Delphine, Paris, France

Great post, Richard. Concorde was the most beautiful aircraft. A real success. One of my dreams was to fly once on it... I can definitely forget about it. I love aircrafts, love airports! The most exciting adventure starts in airport... Everything is possible... even annoying strikes.

April 10, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  2. FleetBuzz Editorial.com

Concorde was not the best in its class- there was nothing else to compete with it. It remains the biggest aerospace failure financially second only to Europes other big failure, the A380.

Its amazes me to no end that people fail to realise that current subsonic airplanes DO fly faster than airplanes from a half decade ago- a point conveniently missed by Mr Quest.

Thankfully, Concorde is in the best place for it- the history books.

Its an icon of business failure and somehow people are bizarrely celebrating that.

April 10, 2009 at 10:26 am |
  3. Manuel Vilhena

Hello,

Yes, I believe that the "glamour" of flying has ended. In Ryanair flights that is obvious.

There are though, some companies that it is still possible to fell it a little bit. Undoubtedly BA is one of those.

Best wishes,

Manuel,
    Coventry, UK

April 10, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  4. Pati Mc, Camp Hill, PA

Hallo Richard!

I was fortuante enough to see the Concorde in flight and ladning. Beautiful, graceful, remarkable craft. I can only imagine what it was like to fly her. So sad that they are no more. Seems so undeserving an aircraft to be "drydocked" as it were.

As Delphine from Paris so eloquently stated "the most exciting adventure begins in airports". Well said! Best feeling in the world!

Thanks for the memories and Happy Easter.

April 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm |
  5. Darwin-Caribbean

A great plane, would have liked to see improvements in that technology, being used in today’s commercial planes. Why does it still take 8hrs to travel across the Atlantic?

April 10, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  6. REG CROWDER

The magic has gone out of the door-closing ceremony for me, courtesy of one of those discount airlines that will remain nameless. Let's call it Bryan Air.

A young stewardess turned the handle to lock the closed passenger door. She looked worried and called for her supervisor. "It didn't click," the younger one said. "They told me it is supposed to click."

The supervisor looked at her watch and said, "Don't worry about it."

I tightened my seatbelt, put my eyeglasses in my pocket, and prepared for a crash on takeoff. We didn't crash. I wasn't amused. That is what started me thinking about substituting trains for air travel whenever possible, which is what I do now. (I don't especially dislike flying. But I'm starting to hate airports with an unbridled passion.)

Getting back to the Concorde, there is a reason nobody followed up on it: The Concorde was a huge money-loser, every day, for its entire history in aviation.

There was never a prayer of the Concorde being anything but a money pit.

That's why nobody ever came along with something to compete with the Condorde. It made no economic sense. The one thing aviation doesn't need is another interesting way to burn money.

May I remind you of the old joke?

Do you know how to make a small fortune in aviation?

How?

Start with a big fortune.

******************

The U.S. government many years ago looked into the possibility of subsidizing the development of a supersonic cargo plane. They called it the Supersonic Transport, or SST. No amount of accounting manipulation was sufficient to make the SST look like it had a chance of success on the marketplace.

A miracle. It made no economic sense, so they dropped it.

If it is absolutely necessary to be face to face with somebody on the other side of the world, and conventional air travel isn't fast enough, there is a solution: Teleconferencing. It is cheaper, faster and emits a lot less carbon than flying the Concorde.

REG CROWDER
    Financial & Investment Writer
    London, England & Brittany, France

April 11, 2009 at 7:31 am |
  7. Anders Sagadin

Hi Richard,

What an aircraft, I was lucky to do a flight twice from Charles de Gaulle to New York – just loved that Concorde, the sound when taking of was just awesome, it was more a rocket than a plane, the whole construction was so much ahead in time, and it was beautiful! I remember these flights every day siting in my office looking on that handcrafted model I bought in Paris that night before my first take off. Thanks for bringing back memories, wish you a good weekend.
    Thanks, Anders Sagadin, Sweden

April 12, 2009 at 5:41 pm |
  8. Max Enroth

Im glad to see Richard Quest is back.

April 13, 2009 at 4:33 am |
  9. Fred

Great plane for sure. Beautiful, elegant, fast. A dream.
    But unsafe. Only 18.000 flights and 70 tyres explosions during take-offs; such a frequency is simply not acceptable. One of them resulted in a crash kiliing more than 100 people.

April 13, 2009 at 8:39 am |