April 14th, 2009
11:01 PM GMT

Today President Obama gave an important speech that said nothing new but did it very elegantly. He reminded us where the crises had come from, what was being done and his vision for the future. It was refreshingly honest as he admitted, again, that this crises would not be over soon. So I asked you What changes have YOU made in your everday life – here are some of your responses – add more below)

=========================================================

craigeyles@richardquest one change: have noticed the rise in take away foods in Aust. Cut down on conglomerate take outs.

Luzy_M@richardquest Im more conscious now when it comes to spend money,I think twice, Most of the times I end up by not spending

demetriusmartin@richardquest straight up coffee instead of a latte!

spartanmensrea@richardquest i would have put off graduate school. My dad won't retire so he can pay for me to get my Law Degree. Makes me feel selfish

MichaelDCC@richardquest when going out I also pack some food to go.

squawkbox@richardquest I'm finding that I'm spending mostly the same on daily purchases but I've put off larger purchases until things are better.

MsJG@richardquest One change: I'm still a coffee snob, but am making my own macchiatos & mochas at home instead of buying them @ the shop.

quantumobserver@richardquest – Hi Richard, definetly searching for bargain hotels online for my business trips and being creative on my cooking. Regard ...

imjustlooking@richardquest Changes made? No vacation during past two years ... need it though .. want to visit Ireland badly ...

nut_freemom@richardquest Focusing on sense not dollars, keeping family activities low key and close to home. Not so much "flim flammery!" :-)

spaceshippartic@richardquest buy less of everything and redesign old outfits instead of buying new ones

reddevil10_nj@richardquest for a young indian like me it has been a reminder about the cyclicality of the economy.

monalia@richardquest we are profiting from the crisis; the shop next door went under so we are renting the space because our business is expanding.

olevvaher@richardquest Does not work from 8:30AM to 5.00PM, I am a freelance

NJTonlineI'm resurrecting my old clothes, darning them as required and reintroducing the 'retro look' to my friends. It's catching on.

1. Katie

I have eliminated fast foods both for cost and health reasons. We are consistently eating much better for less. Also not buying things we don't need, but we are still planning our vacation this year. I switched the daily newspaper to weekends only, changed from a monthly cell phone plan to a prepaid one ( don't use the cell phone enough to warrant the monthly plan)....those two things alone saved over $700 annually and were easy to do.

April 15, 2009 at 2:53 am |
  2. Peter Vaz

We have become parasites to weather all storms, saving electricity and using hammer bells to summon the white collars. Our stocks are bleeding and the white house keeps on repeating the same old political sentiments ie. The Road to Hell.Hot Dogs are more important to the media and the President while millions around the world starve for the food due to economic crisis. Millions of children in developing countries right now will go to sleep, empty stomach while the President of USA has the money to feed the dogs. Richard please open the eyes of the politicians or grill them in your program.

April 15, 2009 at 4:03 am |
  3. Dan Fitz

I changed my saving plan to be more like the average person from china of 40% and less like the US person of 1%.

April 15, 2009 at 5:30 am |
  4. Dave Dawson

Dear Richard,
    RECOVERING FROM THE RECESSION: If you need a focus for the difficult days ahead; It was always about staying ahead of the Devil & keeping yourself on a sound financial footing.
    The rest of it is about squeezing the Devil out of the System & keeping him out of it.
    PROSPERITY is truly the Game of the Gods & GOD IS THE EXPERT.
    Regards, Dave, UK

April 15, 2009 at 9:51 am |
  5. Patrick Libuda

One change I've made, loving every moment of my life, and everything and everyone in my life. Gratitude and happiness are my back bone to success for my future.

April 15, 2009 at 12:34 pm |
  6. Shari Atukorala Sri Lanka

I love your both your shows Quest means Business and Business traveller, I love them both, they way u host the shows is really nice and so humouous at times, I am also an ardent CNN fan and Im on ireport as well. Good luck to you in your quest for future assignments.

April 15, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  7. Michael C. McHugh

Obama is the best president of my lifetime, hands down. He's at least as smart as Clinton and Nixon, but has more honesty and integrity. He's at least as good a communicator as Reagan, and has far more substance. He's at least as much a reformer as JFK and LBJ, and I hope will get things passed that they were unable to do–JFK ran out of time and LBJ was destroyed by Vietnam.

Obama should keep a picture of LBJ in the Oval Office, very close by where he can look at it every day, just to remind himself "Don't let this happen to you." For that purpose, probably the best picture of LBJ would be the one where he's face down at his desk, crying as he writes a letter to his mother about why her son died in Vietnam–as his Great Society dissolved in riots and protests. Obama's reforms are too vital to risk anything like that nightmare happening to us again.

April 15, 2009 at 5:20 pm |
  8. Tobias, Netherlands

I used to hate watching business news until I discovered you. Keep it up. We surely need you because in this global slowdown, everybody should mean business!

April 15, 2009 at 6:03 pm |
  9. Sarah

Hey! I don't like twitter or I would follow you. All I have to say, is that my least favorite human being on the planet is on Larry King and so I had to leave the room. Donald Trump. He's so awful and no one else agrees???? What on earth. He's so egotistical, so mean, and so stupid. "The Apprentice"–whatever. He has money, and that's all. He's so wierd!

April 16, 2009 at 4:17 am |
  10. Shahid Sarwar

I have totally gone the other way. Yes, i have changed but have gone in to earn more and keep my spending as it was. Yes, if I earn more – I spend. If I spend, the money moves on and if the Money moves on – the economy moves on. Its actually the media which has starled everyone and people are not spending hence the economy is not moving. Please spend to keep the economy moving....

April 18, 2009 at 11:00 am |