July 30th, 2009
05:01 AM GMT

CNN – It's official. Yahoo's Search is soon to become Bing. In the hours that followed Microsoft's announcement of its deal with Yahoo, talk has turned to whether they can realistically achieve their goal of taking down Google.

Google's search engine has near total market dominance in the United Kingdom, with around 90 percent of users choosing Google, compared to around 65 percent usage in the United States. When CNN's Adrian Finighan went out on the streets in London he was hard pressed to find anyone who didn't use Google's Search Engine.

The success of Bing will hinge on whether or not it’s able to persuade users to switch search brands. I have to admit I'm a little bit skeptical.

Google is so popular that it's a verb as well as a household name. There are few brands that achieve this kind of popularity. I can only think of a handful of others: Hoover and, as a Brit, Sellotape.

What do you think? Should Google be worried by the deal? We'll be looking at the story again on Thursday’s World Business Today.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: BusinessTechnology

1. Nam(South Korea, Busan)

I don't like these same players. We need to change. Don't you think?

July 30, 2009 at 8:21 am |
  2. Nam(South Korea, Busan)

I don’t like these same players. We need to change. Don’t you think?

July 30, 2009 at 8:25 am |
  3. Shiv

Not sure about Bing.....but, I must admit that seeing 20 search results (and all relevant) related to my name when searched in Google is quite flattering! Unfortunately, Bing only returns 2.........as far as online search is concerned, Google's appeal is still a safe long way from any worthwhile threat from Microsoft or Yahoo or even both together.

July 30, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  4. Manuel Vilhena

Google is a great brand and they provide the best search engine. It won't be easy to take them market share. While that, I will keep on googling information that I need.

July 30, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  5. pete

Microsoft has been decaying since their heyday in the earlier 90s. The Vista fiasco exposed a company that placed marketing above technical finesse, so unlike Google were creating bright ideas and new technologies looks like routine.

As for Yahoo it has been just plodding along all these years in complete mediocrity.

So, two losers join efforts against a clear winner. Oh well, MS still got all those billions to throw in publicity, so expect them to hang around for a few more years. :))

July 30, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  6. Rajat Thomas

For no reason should google be worried!
    Google is the first thing you type if you don't know exactly what to look for in the internet.
    It is a company that appeals to the young generation! Microsoft is a giant and people usually do not prefer giants.
    But having said this, I like these developments.... it will keep the company on their toes!!

July 30, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  7. Muthyavan.

Well it is another attempt by Microsoft to regain its superiority as Number one in the computer world after months of courting Yahoo to a fresh deal. How the consumers are going to choose their requirements in the future is yet to bee seen. One thing that is not badly affected by the current economic downturn is the electronics supporting computers and the mobile phone industry. Research and new developments in these fields are pushing companies like Microsoft,Yahoo and Google to neck to neck competitions.

July 30, 2009 at 12:08 pm |
  8. cvk

Google has nothing to be concerned about. All Bing has is pretty pictures behind the search screen. Google has the answers I'm looking for when I enter the query. That's what it's all about for me.

July 30, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  9. david

Google (without coming off as some conspiracy theorist nut) has totally corrupted the original ideals of what the internet should be and what it could become. First off, they gave in to China on its demand to be able to screen users and block access to certain sites. Shame on them. So the international access to information that was going to transform the world and the knowledge that would help emerging democracies grow has been completely perverted by their complete market dominance.

Then take into consideration how they position their search results. Search on any topic and the number one result will never be the most popular site related to the subject matter, nor will it be the site related to education or information velated to your subject matter. It will inevitably be the site that has paid for their position and / or paid big dollars for web developers to create html tags that google sees. Its more big business dominance.

This was so evident when Yahoo and Google split. Suddenly all my sites virtually dropped off the radar at google while remaining in good position at Yahoo. Hope Microsoft and Yahoo kick their asses.

July 30, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  10. Wayne

First I have to admit that I've never been a Microsoft fan. I use some of the products but not anything to do with non-essential services.

Second, since the term "yahoo" was what the horses called the stupid humans in "Gulliver's travels", I can only assume that a "yahoosoft" or MicroYahoo" could only result in a good looking wannabe.

I believe, however, that the U.S. market will have less to say about their success than the rapidly growing Chinese market. If the combo can "Yawoo" the Chinese, well that's another kettle of fish, or rice as the case may be.

July 30, 2009 at 9:03 pm |
  11. kobe

i would like to see yahoo services like mail, messenger, and others merge with microsoft's new offerings. if they could integrate office applications editing (word, excel) with yahoo's webpage it would be great! i will not need to install office apps in my pc, and i can edit word docs even in non-windows machines. if they can do this on mobile devices too then i'll be online on yahoo most of the time. i'll be able to message my friends while editing my documents at the same time all in my smartphone.

August 2, 2009 at 5:37 am |
  12. Sam K.

It looks like a one way road for Microsoft, who has a 90% share in the OS market. On the other hand Google has an equally huge share in the search engine area and puts on efort to establish it's own software on market computers.
    In the long term it looks more like a rival between cloud computing and home PCs. Google definitely has an technical know-how advantage when it comes to WWW. The clue will be free software and services.
    But can Microsoft compromize with anything free?

August 2, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  13. Jan

In such matters it is purely a matter of habit. Most people will type the letters google.com in their sleep. Not only that, but the layout- etc is already deep inside this generations mind.
    In my opinion it is not a question of one being necessarily better then other, but rather the success of Bing depends more on psychology.
    Lastly we do not 'purchase google' in a store with our money. It is merely a tool, the day we begin researching and choosing among such basic tools is when we have nothing better to do. With today’s busy lifestyle I do not see that happening anytime soon.

August 10, 2009 at 9:30 am |
  14. Rishav Shrestha

When I first opened up Bing, I thought it took a while for it to load but it (Bing) did look serious. So I did some searches, and the results were, well, just the same as in the old MSN search.

What the? It's the same old Microsoft whiskey in a new bottle.

Verdict. Not impressed.

August 13, 2009 at 5:40 am |
  15. Dave

I use google as a tool with meaningful results for trouble
    shooting microsoft products
    Until bing learns how to hit the nail on the head with meaningful
    results for all apps and utilies the way google can they have my vote

August 18, 2009 at 5:48 pm |
  16. SBA Loans and Fast Micro Loans Are a Specialty

The Mission of Sunovis is to Help Rebuild The US Economy, One Loan and One Business At a Time. Small Businesses, SBA Loans and Fast Micro Loans Are a Specialty. The Sunovis founders and professionals will help you achieve your goals. Sunovis Also Helps Small Banks With SBA Loan Services.
    Sunovis professionals are very experienced in ALL aspects of lending, with more than 100 years of combined experience in banking.
    GoTo:>> http://www.sunovisfinancial.com