August 19th, 2009
10:29 AM GMT

1. David Potts

A Canadian friend of mine bought a suit from this firm and it was excellent. I've tried to catch them on tour but the dates and venues have always been inconvienient. The advertise quite regularly in the FT etc...

August 19, 2009 at 10:34 am |
  2. Harold

i think that the Economic Recession would soon be over in the following years. there are lots of positive indicators in the world economy.

September 1, 2009 at 3:37 am |
  3. Frank

I bought two suits, each with an extra pair of trousers, a wool-cashmere blazer and six shirts from Raja Fashions six months ago. After a fitting in my city they arrived by mail less than three weeks later.

They are beautiful clothes and fit perfectly. The suits are English wool and I receive compliments for mu suits almost every day. They look extremely expensive! I will buy one or two more suits from Raja soon as I now tend to only wear these suits and neglect my off the rack suits.

Highly recommended.

October 31, 2009 at 11:45 pm |
  4. Michael

I had purchased a suit from Raja Fashions 6 months back when I was on vacation in Hong Kong. I have never in my life faced such frauds before. I had ordered a black pin-stripe suit for HKD$5,500. When I went to collect my suit 3 days later I was given a cheap dark blue suit with some shiny stripes on it. When I told them that this was not the suit that I ordered, Raja and his colleagues started arguing that it was infact the same one that I ordered.

I had no other option as to pickup the same suit. Furthermore, when paying the bill I was unknowlingly charged HK$55,000 instead of $5,500. I only found out when my bank called to confirm with me if I made such a big transaction. When returning to their shop to consult on this matter, I was suprised to find it shut! I then went to the local police station only to find out that they already had over 50 exisiting complaints on similar scams by Raja Fashions.

I have never purchased suits from them and all I can do is advise all you other potential suit buyers to not purchase any sort of garments from him.

Good luck!

February 27, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  5. Fred Walton

I agree Mr Raja of Raja Fashions is the best tailor in Hong Kong.

June 25, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
  6. Dominic

If you choose to deal with Raja make sure you negotiate like hell. Whatever price they suggest is the "list" price for a suit or shirt, cut it at least in half to begin negotiations. If they won't move significantly from the list price, walk away. If you're dealing with them from a distance expect delays and frustration in getting the suit to fit. You may have to wait many months to get your product. All this is from personal experience – potential buyer beware – these are all the things Raja won't tell you.

July 2, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
  7. Mark

I bought a couple of suits from Raja during a trip to HK a year or so ago. The suits were ok, but not what i wanted. Once you walk into their shop be prepared for a very hard sell. They will constantly try to upsell more suits or more expensive materials. Try to ask for a certain cut or style, and they will tell you "no, thats not what you want, you want this...".

Be prepared for numerous fitting up visits, at times which can be awkward if you are on a business trip or have a packed tour itinery. You see, although their shop is packed with rather pushy salespeople, they only seem to have one taylor who only comes in about 1 hour each day. Dont assume you can get a suit made in a couple of days – i was in HK for 8 days, and although i went to Raja on day 1, i did not pick up the finished article until the last day, due to going back a few times for alterations here and there ( and I missed a couple of appointments with the taylor).

Oh, and unless you are paying a significant amount, the material you will get will be rather crappy. No problems with the bill – it did add up as expected (I checked very carefully).

But now, I have 2 hand made suits sitting in my cupboard that i have never worn because they dont fit quite right, and dont look quite right, and which i think i paid too much for.

Would I go back? Actually, yes, but I will make sure I go prepared by knowing exactly what I want and exactly how much i am prepared to pay, and to haggle like hell or walking away.

September 19, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  8. Fred Walton

The Best Ladies tailor who made suits for my wife is Raja Daswani of Raja Fashions

September 29, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  9. Cooker Hoods

ecomonic recessions could really mess up great economies–,

October 20, 2010 at 11:59 am |
  10. Brian

I have been to Hong Kong several times and have experienced several tailors. My Raja Fashions experience involved
    hard selling , rudeness, and the result was a sloppy job in both suits and shirts. There are several other tailors worth looking into, stay away from Raja.

March 20, 2013 at 4:05 pm |