January 26th, 2010
12:49 PM GMT

Davos, Switzerland (CNN) - Arriving in the Swiss Alps for my first taste of the annual Davos talkshop I felt like a boy on his first day of school as I filed awkwardly off the train behind a party of “conference veterans” from a British-based press agency.

CNN Davos hub

CNN technician Darran Eubanks in the CNN bunker

These weary vets had come to my attention during the stunning journey up from Zurich as I was snapping away at the procession of picture-postcard views. My artistic reverie was suddenly interrupted by a bored-sounding voice lamenting the need to “do Davos again.”

I thought perhaps this bored journalist had endured one fondue experience too many.

As a Davos “virgin,” I failed to see how a gathering of some of the world’s most influential people from the world of politics and business, from Nicolas Sarkozy to Bill Gates, could be anything but exciting – well thought-provoking at least.

Ignoring further comments about the World Economic Forum being a ski holiday for many of the 2,500 delegates, I headed for the CNN bunker - located deep inside the impressively fortified congress center – certain this year’s event would yield some positive stories after the gloom of the past two years.

After all the theme this year was all about the three “R's" - the need to “rethink, redesign [and] rebuild” the world.

See CNN's full Davos coverage

As I waited to put my bag through an airport-style x-ray machine, I chatted with a Swiss-based journalist about what she hopes to get out of the next few days. “I hope we’ll see some evidence that politicians and business leaders are actually back in control after the turmoil of last year,” she said. “But if nothing else it’s good for local businesses.”

And with that I moved on past several machine-gun toting guards and rows of satellite trucks belonging to the world’s media, before I finally entered the convention center itself and yet another checkpoint manned by suited guards this time.

With VIPs including Sarkozy due in town, this was something I would have to get used to. It soon emerged that the security guards have fun with the media by constantly changing the routes in and out of this maze-like facility.

I just hope the delegates appreciate Davos is serious business these days.

1. Zach

Davos is hardly the place where solid results are formed.
    It has always been like that.
    Here is the recent proof; Mr. Sarkozy will be in Davos. He is one of the most recent symbol of 'promisin big, and returning very little'
    So lower your expectations for Davos and enjoy your days in Alps.

January 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm |
  2. watson

you look too relaxed there. The cabling is in a shoody state so as part of the 5Ss all your team points are being deducted.

January 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  3. Dr.Virginia Lubell

Having lived through the Great Restructuring of New Zealand in the 1980s I can say I grew up politically!

Capitalism has turned to Corporatism, mergers and acquisitions have meant the decline of any type of competition. Multi-nationals roam the world causing havoc. They should all be broken up.

Social Democracies have been turned into crippled economies as manufacturing has moved off shore ... trading jobs for cheap imports.

In order for there to be a 'trickle down' there first must be an aggregation yet no one has defined how much should trickle down or whether that concept is moral or ethical ... producing excessive wealth for an increased few and desperate poverty for millions.

Removing taxation from the elected governments thus reducing shared and collective services while promoting a 'user pay' system is often the vehicle for aggregating wealth through a new form of hidden private taxation so that share holders can earn profit.

When finances no longer finance industry or infrastructure but finance finances then we all know we live in a crap shoot.

Business should not rule the world. Businesses should serve the ethos for saving our dying planet and healing our war torn world. That has always been true and always will be.

Upon returning to the US this year, I have been overcome with sadness that the Supreme Court has just given permission to corporations to spend as much money as they want in political campaigns. How arrogant of our Humanity that we gave our precious world and our lives over to that side of ourselves that says: The business of business is business.

January 26, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  4. Ron Brinn

Davos 2010...The 3 R's

Restore: Trace, Track and seize a trillion in Global stolen assets.

Repatriate: Provide seized funds for economic development in
    source countries.

Renew: A Global Finance System in service to public and private goods.

For details:

See: World Bank StaR programme...Stolen Asstets repatriation.
    Ron Brinn
    New York

January 26, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  5. mindwanderer

Richard | absolute highlight | #FSM Financial Snowman | #Davos |my vote : http://twitter.com/richardquest | up from #Davos St. Bernadino http://twitpic.com/zqqx4 |

January 26, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  6. Projector Lamp :

my girlfriend always love to have some ski holidays that is why i also love ski holidays :

October 30, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  7. icons download

It is remarkable, rather useful phrase

November 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  8. Michell Haskamp

When travelling to the slopes think long and hard about how you get there. Flying is still the most popular option however the costs and the time spent in the air, in queues and on the road quickly mounts up. You’ll also have the cost of transfers to and from Stress levels, both adult and children can easily max out at the airport. It’s possible now to catch the train to many resorts in Europe with little or no transfer time. Taking the overnight train means that you’ll be on the slopes the following day after you and your family have had a good nights sleep.^