February 3rd, 2010
03:38 AM GMT

"Warrior" is a 75 year old shoe brand from Shanghai. Its original mission? To outfit China's athletes with a simple and lightweight canvas trainer.

Known in Chinese as "Hui Li" (回力), the brand was a footwear favorite in China from the 60s to the early 80s. Today, not so much. Most Chinese youth prefer to be seen in Nike or Adidas.

But these days, "Warrior" is out to score a new audience in the West by positioning itself as a sort of hipster trainer with a story to tell.

And let it be known, these are award-winning shoes. According to its China-based website, "Warrior" shoes have "successively won the State Silver Medal for Quality, the prize of the Chemical industry Ministry for high-quality products and the prize of Shanghai for products."

Booyah. Or, as they say in China, 加油!

1. GEORGE

BUY AMERICAN.....................

February 3, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  2. Karl Blessing

Competing against Nike or Adidas would already be a hard sell.... But who in the west really wants to buy a "Made in China" product any more as a competitor to the likes of Nike. They're not just competing with Nike and such, but their own negative image of Chinese quality.

February 3, 2010 at 8:38 pm |
  3. mark denard

Beautiful stylish shoes I picked 2 pairs last week and every friend

asking me where I bought them from.

February 4, 2010 at 12:51 am |
  4. rocko

arent nike shoes made in asia anyway?

February 4, 2010 at 2:57 am |
  5. Tom Holiday

Nike, Adidas, NB, Warrior whatever they are all made in China or somewhere else in the East. Its all about branding

February 4, 2010 at 4:35 am |
  6. Diep Quoc Vuong

How to compete with Nike ans Adidas in the West, where most people tend to steer clear of China product. They should compete in their own market.

February 4, 2010 at 4:47 am |
  7. Jude Chua

Karl, I'm an Asian but not from China. Like most consumers, I agree that quality is not the strength of China- made products. However, Even leading US companies such as Nike and Adidas outsourced their labor works from China to maximize earnings by saving overhead costs. You'd be surprised to buy a pair of Nike or Adidas sneakers and find the tag "Made in China".

February 4, 2010 at 5:49 am |
  8. Edward Eng

This is gonna be super tough. What celebrity (Chinese or American) is gonna wear some outdated Chinese sneaker? People in China want to wear what's popular just like any other culture. They're gonna need a whole rebranding campaign. Hope they have deep pockets and large mouths.

===================
    Edward Eng
    getchee Staff Writer
    ===================

February 4, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  9. Luis

Nike or Adidas, really American, most of their products are make in Honduras, Thailand, etc...

February 4, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  10. Shacura

they're cute. . .. could make a cute outfist
    cost?

February 4, 2010 at 2:15 pm |
  11. G

Yes George, buy American. How many pairs of Nike or Adidas have you owned.....?

February 4, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  12. Karl Blessing is Retarded

"Who in the west really wants to buy a "Made in China" product ?"

Where do you think Nike manufactures most of their products?
    From the wikipedia page: "Nike has been criticized for contracting with factories in countries such as China, Vietnam, Indonesia and Mexico"

February 4, 2010 at 7:14 pm |
  13. Matthew

Are u all fools? Everything is made is China, including Nike and Adidas, & Polo, & Sean Jean, & Roc-a-ware, & everything else us lazy over entitled North Americans don't to make ourselfs

February 4, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  14. Warrior

Folks, Nike's are made in CHINA.... Booyah

February 4, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  15. Karl Blessing

More of a matter of the "image" regardless if most items are already made in China or related nations. Warriors in this case is going to be seen as 100% Chinese, and as such would hurt them more than it helps.

February 5, 2010 at 2:54 am |
  16. Isaac, Australia.

Uhh Matthew, just because alot of clothing is made in China or other parts of Asia has nothing to do with American's or anyone for that mattr being lazy, it has to do with the companies wanting to make a larger profit by paying less to people in poorer economies.

Blame capitalism if you must blame something, that being said it is still the lesser of many evils.

February 5, 2010 at 3:54 am |
  17. Spooly-T

TO George's BUY AMERICAN comment...
    Funny, where are u buying ur Made in USA shoes?????
    If I only bought American, my house would be empty, w/ exception of my Chevy that I owe more money on than it is worth..

February 5, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  18. chris

dude i don't care where they are made....those are sick shoes.

February 6, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
  19. Tony LA

I love it when people say China products are cheap and inferior. It goes back to the term you pay for what you get. The companies from the United States commission Asian countries because the labor and cost is cheap/low. Understand China can make very good quality if you are welling to pay for it.

BTW Karl you should read up on your history. A small shoe company in the 1960’s tried to take on the big giant Adidas. The small company was Blue Ribbon Sport or what we know as today Nike.

February 6, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  20. Loiuis

George, Buy American?

Is there actually an American shoe company? Last time I went shopping for shoes, every single shoe on the rack I looked at (Including so-called "British" brands) were all made in China. ALL of them.

Kinda hard to buy American when we don't have any American shoes for sale...

February 7, 2010 at 8:53 pm |
  21. BavarianBear

To all Americans and Chinese: ADIDAS comes from Bavaria, Freestate of Germany. Two brothers, (A)dolf and (DI)eter (DAS)sler founded this company after WWII. Most ADIDAS products are made in Asia. Got it ?

February 8, 2010 at 4:11 am |
  22. DewmanTN

I heard last year that Newbalance was made in the USA. Unfortunately when I went to buy a pair, I found out they are now getting most of their shoes from Asia too.

February 9, 2010 at 5:52 am |
  23. R. Mc Donial, SW Missouri

To all of the people who don't know New Balance still makes ~25% of their shoes here in the states. So if you really want to buy American, then pick up a pair of New Balance shoes. If you don't believe me then check out the New Balance site for yourself.

February 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  24. Allen

Who's Chuck Taylor? Why doesn't he get some close combat training or some bodyguards? That way he can fend off these Chinese warriors bent on assassinating him. I don't think buying new shoes will help: you can't run forever.

February 9, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
  25. DR

spooly-t,, Bet I owe more on my Toyota..with less value than your Chevy!!!

February 9, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
  26. Kebin

I don't care where they're made, those shoes are gross.

February 17, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  27. Evan

I buy New Balance shoes, chooses ones particularly made in America. So it is possible despite Nike making most of their shoes in Indonesia I believe.

February 17, 2010 at 3:39 pm |
  28. wesley (ORIENTAL AWESOME)

If anyone is interested in these shoes, I am an agent!
    email me at wes-billett@hotmail.com

oriental awesome

September 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
  29. nike shoes china

I've been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts on this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this site. Studying this info So i'm satisfied to exhibit that I've a very excellent uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot definitely will make certain to do not put out of your mind this site and provides it a look on a constant basis.

August 24, 2012 at 7:44 am |
  30. icon collection

Now all became clear to me, I thankk for the help in this quetsion.

hpixel

September 23, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  31. icon pack

Many thanks for the information.

November 4, 2012 at 4:31 pm |