February 4th, 2010
08:51 AM GMT

Here in Hong Kong, investors can "feng shui" their finances.

The Year of the Tiger starts February 14th. But the Feng Shui Index, produced by Asian investment bank CLSA, marks the start of the year today - February 4 - as the first day of spring according to the solar calendar.

Solar/lunar issues aside, it's gonna be a bumpy year.

Tiger years are usually marked by dramatic changes. According to the guide, "Markets (in Hong Kong) will be volatile with a surge in the first month followed by a decline that turns upwards in June, dips and then swings up again in September."

The Feng Shui Index identifies the year's big winners by analyzing the elemental sign that they're aligned with. For example, companies associated with metal elements will have a great run, and the index predicts that gold will break $2000 an ounce this year.

But water-related industries - like shipping, logistics and transport - could see their positions weaken.

The popular index made its debut in 1992. Despite its tongue-in-cheek tone, some of their past forecasts have been on the money - like gold breaking $1,000 an ounce and the resurgence of the China property markets during the last year, the Year of the Ox.

In terms of the Zodiac, a great year is in store for those born in the year of the Dragon, Sheep and especially the Horse. A relatively good year is ahead for Rats, Cows, Rabbits, Roosters, Dogs and Pigs. But for the Tigers, Snakes and Monkeys out there - it will be a rough one.

I'm a Tiger.

Thankfully, there are feng shui measures to bring a bit of good luck in a bad year like the wearing of red underwear (I'm not making this up).

That to be continued... in another post.

1. Ken

Why dont you get a red underwear? i got mine when i was 24 as a pig. Good luck for me then? Haha...depends on how much you believe. But I think it is kind of funny traditional Chinese ' feng shui' issue that foreigners are interested in. You may learn more to improve your finances and with good luck in this year. How much you believe in it?

February 5, 2010 at 7:29 am |
  2. http://www.justchacha.com/

I've seen several different versions of fengshui in the year of tiger. My sign horse. I really hope I have good luck this year.

February 6, 2010 at 2:45 am |
  3. George Walker

Feng Shui is used mostly by old fashioned chinese. I dunno if it really works.;.*

June 17, 2010 at 3:42 am |
  4. Zenio

I'm a Tiger too, so I thought this was going to be my year. Well, was I wrong! I encountered a couple of big backlashes this year, and now I know why.. Although it's the year of the Tiger, it's not a good year for Tigers strangely enough.

September 9, 2010 at 3:45 am |
  5. Soap Dispenser `

i am a very strong believer in feng shui and somehow there is a truth behind its predictions";:

October 11, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  6. Chrome Towel Radiator :

somehow i believe in Feng Shui, my house was built based on the suggestions of a Feng Shui master**:

October 22, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  7. Rust Paint

i really believed in Feng Shui and we always seek the advice of the Feng Shui master whenever we build a new apartment *."

December 13, 2010 at 5:24 am |
  8. how to advertise consulting services

Nice article. Keep it up.

December 15, 2011 at 2:52 am |
  9. Gustavo

Almost all I can exerpss is, I'm not sure what to exerpss! Except certainly, for the excellent tips which are shared within this blog. I can think of a thousand fun strategies to read the reports on this site. I'm sure I will ultimately make a move employing your tips on those things I could never have been able to deal with alone. You are so thoughtful to let me be one of those to learn from your useful information. Please know how significantly I am thankful.

November 5, 2012 at 8:03 am |
  10. Tiffany

Feng shui will help you understand everything and come up with the best solution possible. You just have to let the flow go. A feng shui master in Malaysia once said that this technique can help in the overall success of everyone who will let it in their lives.

June 3, 2013 at 3:31 am |