February 18th, 2010
01:21 PM GMT

Pilots at Lufthansa, one of of the world's largest airlines, went on strike Monday, grounding hundreds of flights per day.

Thousands could be affected by a four-day strike.
Thousands could be affected by a four-day strike.

The four-day walkout by Vereinigung Cockpit, the pilots' union, came after a last-ditch effort at negotiations over pay and job security failed, the company said.

iReport: Are you worried?

The strike threatened to disrupt travel on more than two dozen partner airlines, including United, U.S Airways and Continental, later on Monday. About 800 of 1,800 scheduled flights per day through Thursday have been canceled, the company said.

Cockpit said strike action had been supported by about 94 per cent of those who had taken part in a ballot.

Are you scheduled to fly next week with Lufthansa?

Are you worried your plans might be put on hold? Would you be angry if a strike happened?

We want to hear your stories of how a strike might affect you - please leave your comment below.

Lufthansa has also been responding to some of your questions and complaints directly via this blog, so there's a strong possibility that what you submit will get a response.

1. Anthony Smith-Chaigneau

If it falls on the 4th we would be upset. We are attending a wedding in Malta and that would spoil something very personal to us. The airlines need to sort themselves out as they are degenerating into squabbling organisations unworthy of patronage.

February 18, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  2. Shawn lee

We are going to fly from Milan to London by Lufthansa on 24 feb, when we knew about this, we emailed them what can be done but they totally ignore us, we are currently on holiday in Europe, if we missed the flight, we will waste alot of money in our hotel and tour package we booked. Disappointed with Lufthansa!

February 18, 2010 at 7:14 pm |
  3. Sam Sapuay

I'm due to fly on 26 Feb from Ankara to Munich then to Hongkong via Lufthansa, after which I'll catch a Cathay Pacific flight to Manila. I can imagine days after the strike a lot of passengers will be rushing to fly to catch up on the missed days and it can become mess. I'm worried I would be bumped out of my confirmed booking.

February 19, 2010 at 1:19 am |
  4. Ashkey Kerray

Im due to be leaving Kuwait early morning on the 23rd to arrive in frankfurt when we will then be going on to london, which falls as soon as the strike is meant to happen. I will be with a group of 26 students, we are all drama students hoping to get to london. We have all ready organised and paid for the shows we will be attending during the week we are there. I really hope this dosent effect us!

February 19, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  5. Stephen Hutton

Was flying with Lufthansa to the US next Thursday 26th Feb, Lufthansa altered our booking with no charge to the Friday, job solved!!

February 19, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  6. Hans Henrik Friis

I am attending a charity event Monday 22.2. in the evening in London, followed by two days of meetings. I booked my flight from Cologne to Heathrow before the strike was announced, and yes it would be a major inconvenience if I were delayed or my flight was cancelled.

I sincerely hope that Lufthansa will make the necessary arrangements if they have to cancel my flight.

Lufthansa's pilots are not doing themselves any favors by calling for strikes now, for three reasons.

The stagnating German economy. The growing unemployment in Germany and then Lufthansa's handling of the many cancelled flights during the hard winter we have had here. Perception tends to become reality. To ask for higher pay now does not go down well with public opinion.

The raising unemployment in Germany, the German economy because the service level during the hard Winter here in Germany left a lot to be desired, hundreds of cancelled flights and the perception that Lufthansa did not handle the situation very well. In the publics eye the financial crisis and the ever increasing unemployment rate

February 19, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  7. Axel Bean

The perception that LH pilots are going on strike for higher pay is fundamentally wrong. The problem is that in Germany you can only strike on matters of salary, not issues like working hours or job security.

So the premise of a pay raise is used as the reason to go on strike. All the pilots want is that their company gives them job security. And they are willing to make concessions on other areas like for example salary.

The public debate in any strike in Germany will be influenced by the party that has the most media leverage, in this case the company and not the union. Now like in the past this will turn into a mudslinging contest.
    If you worked for a company that forced you to become cheaper and more productive and then threatened to outsource your job to so-called cheaper parties wouldn't you go on strike? Maybe the rising unemployment in Germany has partly to do with the fact that companies there are outsourcing more and more.

Also business models are increasingly influenced by shareholder value. You may ask yourself why, after ten years of (record) profit and one year of crisis (in which LH either made a small profit or a small loss, we will know which in March) costs are going to have to be cut by 1 billion euros. The answer is to please the shareholders, because the employees will not benefit.

At the end of the day it's taking a stance against outsourcing, and this can happen in any industry. you could be next and when your time comes don't say you weren't warned...

February 19, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  8. Roland Gorman

When exactly will the strike begin? Sure, I can read, February 22 ... but when and where? I have a ticket for 10:00pm on February 21 out of Washington, DC - it will already be February 22 in Germany at that time. Should I be worried?

February 19, 2010 at 2:43 pm |
  9. Ruth Winblad

I have a flight out from Sweden to Italy on the 22nd, back home again evening of the 23rd. I tried to cancel both flights in order to book with another airline but that was not possible. My booking was not refundable unless Lufthansa themselves cancel that specific flight due to the strike....... They told me my only options were to rebook to a later date (which I can't since my meeting is on the 23rd) or cancel without getting any refund.

February 19, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  10. Axel Bean

It will start at 5 to midnight and will last for three days. All flights originating in Germany will be affected. If the incoming plane for your flight leaves Germany before this time (looks like it, you can do the math yourself) your flight will probably go ahead as scheduled. You can check 1-800-645-3880 within the US for flight info.

February 19, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
  11. John

I was flying to Frankfurt and then on to Chicago on 23rd – I'm not taking the chance and have rebooked with Lufthansa to fly on Sunday 22nd instead. I am a little flexible so am glad that LH offered to change the flight at no extra cost

February 19, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  12. Kevin

Seriously, the unions need to get a clue! This is 2010 and the economy is hurting, jobs are hard to find and if you have one you need to be happy.

The unions are causing businesses to fear change.

EASTERN AIRLINES + STRIKE = THOUSANDS of LOST JOBS!

This is not the way to handle the situation!

February 20, 2010 at 12:16 am |
  13. tamara

My partner is scheduled to fly February 23rd from Riga to Manchester, with a stop in Frankfurt. Currently She is visiting family and friends and I am unable to communicate this news to her and won't be able to do so until Sunday! Yes, I'm worried for her! Yes, I would be angry if she had to make arrangements for another flight, and I know she will be quite pi$$ed. The flight to Riga incurred costly last minute changes due to actions of the airline. If she has to change flight again, I hope she is not charged.

February 20, 2010 at 1:03 am |
  14. Bobby

I am flying biz class Sea to Fra to Jed next week. I have called LH repeatedly to rebook on another airline; LH in the US is most unhelpful and told me to call back to Jeddah, where I bought the ticket to rebook on another airline. I have gold card with Star Alliance; LH is making no effort at all to rebook on other airlines; only to reserve another date on LH after the strike. I am very disappointed at how crappy LH is treating biz class pax who want to change reservation to another airline next week.

February 20, 2010 at 5:49 am |
  15. Todd Deem

I'm scheduled to fly from Luanda Angola to Frankfort on the 22nd to go home after 4 weeks working... I'm hoping for personal reasons to go home on time. I can understand the pilots frustration, as well as the boards position, but leaving customers in the cold usually hurts both sides and both end up losing in the end especially in a public trust company such as reliable transport

February 20, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  16. Danny Stocco

I'm scheduled for a morning flight from Venice to Moscow on the 22nd. Luckily Lufthansa sent out emails informing of the strike on Friday 19th, so I had all the time to contact them, and they moved me onto a Swiss flight for the same destination only an hour after my scheduled flight. All at no charge.
    Good stuff.

February 20, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  17. Lufthansa

Hi everyone,

We know everyone who's booked next week is worried about the impact on their plans. While there's a chance the strike will be interrupted, unfortunately some flights already had to be canceled. The modified schedule for 22-25FEB is posted on all country sites at http://www.lh.com/ along with our rebooking policies – that's where the most current information can always be found.

Aside from our homepage, we are also posting updates to our official Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/lufthansa/ and to the Lufthansa forum at http://www.flyertalk.com/. Twitter users can receive updates in German from @Lufthansa_DE or in English from @Lufthansa_USA.

If you know your flight is affected and need to be rebooked, our call centers are working around the clock to help, although longer hold times than usual should be expected. Passengers who booked through another carrier or a travel agency might want to try contacting those offices first, as their call volume is probably lower than ours.

We'd like to address some specific comments on this page as well:

@ruth: Rebooking is something we can offer but unfortunately there are a lot of people competing for a limited number of seats on other carriers. If you use Twitter, you can DM your booking code and we'll have a look as well, if you like. Also keep checking the strike schedule as it could be that your flight will eventually be canceled, entitling you to a full refund.

@tamara: We did send e-mails to notify passengers who were affected and had readable e-mails in their bookings. Maybe she received it if she has access in Riga.

@bobby: LH offices have the authorization to rebook all passengers on 22-25FEB flights to many other carriers (not all!) up to 26FEB. Rebooking after that is not authorized for free but may be done at passenger expense if they so desire. I will contact the US call center right now and reiterate to them that where you booked your flight doesn't matter since we got the authorizations yesterday afternoon. If you're a Twitter user, DM us your booking code or flight/date/last name and I'll take a look.

@todd: Many longhaul flights are affected beginning 22FEB; please check the schedule on lh.com a few times before your flight to make sure you know if your flight is impacted.

Thanks to all our passengers for their extraordinary patience and understanding. We're doing all we can to support you during this time that's difficult for us all.

Best regards,
    Michelle Schiff, Account Manager LH.com US
    @Lufthansa_USA

February 21, 2010 at 1:54 am |
  18. Curtis Posuniak

I am scheduled to fly from Poland back home to Detroit, MI on the 23rd. This potential strike is not good and will have a far reaching impact on my choices when flying to Europe in the future. Please advise how my added expenses will be reimbursed if a strike occurs and I am forced to delay my departure. I urge a resolution to this potential volatile situation. Lufthansa should be working diligently to ensure that their passengers flight plans are book on other airlines, so our personal lives are not impacted as a result of a strike.

February 21, 2010 at 3:31 am |
  19. May

I thought that the cancellations were supposed to be 22nd-25th Feb. Our flights were supposed to be on 26th Feb to Munich, but I have been told that it has been cancelled! We have been told that we could reschedule our flight but not on the same day (eventhough, I have checked the Lufthansa website and there are currently flights available a few hours laer that day, which wouldn't inconvenience us), but the office is currently shut at the travel agents who we booked with (?!). Also that we can (we booked a package deal) keep the hotel booking, and look for another flight ourselves, and claim a refund. I am told that refunds will be made by Lufthansa (not tthe travel agent), and that this will take 2-12 weeks!

February 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  20. Lufthansa non-crew employee

How this strike affects me? Well worse case I could lose my job. I see our figures, we have been hit big the past year ( so have all airlines). Just as we are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel- this happens. We stand to lose 33 million euros a day because of this strike. I can also say that LH emloyees at other non-german offices have already lost their jobs or been forced for non-paid leave. Not related to this strike, BUT the pilots are rocking a boat in already uncertain waters.

When I see that a Pilots average salary total more than the check-in person that checks you in, the baggage handler, the weight and balance person( IMO just a critical job as a Pilots), and the cabin crew combined, we need to ask when is enough, enough. And for flying not more than 80 plus hrs a month.

February 22, 2010 at 10:17 am |
  21. philippe mora

I am right now at FRA, it's not as bad as I thought. I rebooked my flight from Paris yesterday on Air France and leaving this afternoon on United to San Francisco. Arrived at Frankfurt Airport around 9am.

There are queues but I was expecting chaos – I fly 350K miles per year and have had the priviledge to endure the joys of Frankfurt Airport's I-don't-care-about-customer-service Lufthansa employees so many times – so today it's not that bad.

Over the past three weeks with the snow it was far worse !!!

February 22, 2010 at 10:22 am |
  22. Pamela

My family and I have been affected by the strike. We were supposed to travel from Germany to the US tomorrow but our flight was cancelled. We were able to get another flight, but at the inconvenience of our families and friends in the US and our employers and colleagues.

Cockpit is making the wrong enemies, namely with the customers. While I'm not against strikes per se, I do believe they are used all too liberally in Europe to achieve workers' goals. As a teacher, I have had the opportunity to strike and have not joined in, in particular because I realize it's the students (patients, customers) who get the short end of the stick and I'm making my 'problem' their problem. I hope Cockpit and Lufthansa get things worked out and don't let us down again. If they do, I'll have to take my business elsewhere – perhaps permanently.

February 22, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  23. Walter Scott

Unions have outlived their usefulness. As the world economy continues to develop people are going to have to realized that in order to stay competitive they have to develop stronger skills, skills that are in demand or jobs that are location dependent. Airline pilots have prestege, great pay and one of the shortest work months of any job. It seems to me that they should learn from the UK Post Office Union trying to fight against automation. Are the Union's okay with being tied to the economy, investors, medical costs and fuel prices? The company sure is. And striking that affects consumers how are not involved in the negotiations is nothing more then a version of corporate blackmail.

February 22, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  24. Sidarta Cypriano

I have my flights next week booked with Lufthansa as usual. I choose this airline company due to be the best in Safety and in Aircraft maintenance. Now the Pilots are on Strike and one of the reasons is Job Security....Now I´m really unconfortable with this reason.
    I´m a LH Senator passanger and almost every month I make Long Haul flights from Brazil to Europe with Lufthansa´s "Air Fortresses".
    What we can expect from this?

February 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  25. Simon

I am scheduled to fly to India on Wednesday the 24th of Feb 2010. The strike has been announced from Monday – Thursday. I am flying with my wife and Kid into the Chennai airport and some of our relatives and friends have also reserved their tickets to pour into chennai on the same day so we can spend atleast a day together. The next day I have been booked on local flight to go to Mumbai. This strike has been a shocker for us when we first heard of it last night. I had called to confirm my seats and found that it has been cancelled. Waiting for our travel agent to get back with plans. I have to be in Chennai, India on that day, period.

I would not say that the pilots are ridiculous as they might have tried several things but this should not have happened. Lot of people fly in emergency of several kinds. The pilots should have found out a different alternative. I hope I get a seat on any other flight on that wednesday.

February 22, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  26. Annejet

I have a flight reservation for the 23rd from Toulouse to Munich. According to the LH website, this flight will probably be operated, which is great news. However, it now seems that there will be a second strike which also affects flights departing from France, namely that of the French AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS. Sigh... I have to be in Munich on Wednesday morning, but with the Lufthansa pilots AND the French air traffic controllers on strike it will be rather difficult to find a plane that will actually get me there... I do have sympathy for the pilots. The French air traffic controllers, however, are a bunch of spoilt children: they only work 100 days a year and still they're complaining!

February 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm |
  27. Gallienus

I agree that Unions have outlived their usefulness. I have a master's degree in Chemical Engineering and as such am not a unionised employee. It is typical for the company to ask to put in 60 hrs work weeks and when we're paid for just 40.

Recently a friend who doesn't have any colledge degree got a job at Exxon (the Oil/Chemical Co.). His base salary is higher than mine. He liked the company, liked the pay, thought they took good care of employees and had no desire to join the union (which is optional). He did so because there were implicit threats that "Something Could Happen" to an employee in a chemical plant if you don't join the union.

Whenever you hear of Union workers you hear about people who don't care about the company, given rotten customer service, or break your luggage, and get paid big bucks for having minimal education. Personally I think Unions are a malignant artifact leftover from the late 19th/early 20th century and are detrimental. I hate Unions and union workers.

February 22, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  28. linda

i'm scheduled to fly on the 26th from Budapest- Frankfurt -Toronto with LH. I saw that all the flights to Toronto were canceled between 22-25 . I am traveling with my 5 year old son and i'm wondering if my flight wont be overbooked. What can I do to make sure that we will be on that flight and not sightseeing the airport for who knows how many hours?
    Tahnk you

February 22, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  29. Darrin

If this strike continues into the weekend this could affect the biggest moment in my and my wife's life.
    We have been trying to have kids for 10 years with no success and we have been in the adoption process for 3 years now. Saturday we are supposed to fly into Frankfurt as part of a layover to get to Almaty, Kaz.
    We HAVE to be in Almaty on Feb 28 for our appointment.

We are on the cusp of bringing someone home we have longed for for so long. Customers are not just flying for Vacations and Holidays. This is our lives your messing with. Lufthansa, please I beg you to get this sorted out very quickly.

February 22, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  30. Jerry Gillooly

I have an LH flight from Detroit to Frankfurt at 12:59 AM CET on the 26th, after the strike is supposed to end, but it has been cancelled. Travel agent is working to re-book. My connection leaving Frankfurt is still scheduled, so, if it has to be re-booked to conform with the first leg, I hope it won't cost me.

February 22, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  31. Lufthansa

Hi again everyone,

Several questions came up since we posted last and CNN graciously invited us to respond. My apologies in advance for the length, but I wanted to respond to individual questions:

@Todd Deem: Your Lufthansa flight from Luanda is currently scheduled to operate as normal; please check LH.com frequently for schedule updates which are posted as soon as we know about them.

@Danny Stocco: It's great to hear that our e-mail reached you and that your trip is now protected. Thanks for the kind mention.

@Curtis Posuniak: Your flights back to Detroit changed and you were protected on another carrier for the same date. I didn't know if you knew this already so I sent you an e-mail confirmation over the weekend.

@May: Lufthansa has received authorization from most other carriers to protect passengers on their flights; there should be no reason you need to cancel your trip unless you no longer want to travel (unfortunately refunds do take some time, particularly given the volume of ticket changes at the moment). You should contact your travel agency first as their phone lines may be less busy than ours, but any Lufthansa office can also help you with rebooking at no cost.

@philippe mora: Thanks for letting us know about the situation in Frankfurt; we have also heard that it is very organized all things considered, and that is largely due to the ongoing patience and understanding of our passengers.

@Pamela: We're really sorry your trip was impacted but it's great to know that you were protected; hope your travel is smooth from here out.

@Sidarta Cypriano: Thank you for your loyalty over the years, we value our relationship with you as a Senator cardholder. We do regret that your flight plans were impacted; however as an experienced traveler you know that this is an unusual situation. Lufthansa continues to do everything possible to support all passengers and return to normal operations.

@Simon: While we're also disappointed to know that your family's trip was affected by the action, it's good to know that you will be able to keep your plans in Chennai. We wish you smooth sailing from now on.

@Annejet: Wow, you managed to avoid one bad situation and now another looms on the horizon – I'm really sorry to hear that and will keep my fingers crossed that it won't disrupt your plans.

@linda: Traveling with kids presents special concerns, I know this well. The flights that operate immediately after the action ends will probably be more full than usual and there may be minor delays; however our ability to accommodate passengers on other carriers has helped a great deal. At the moment we expect normal operations on the 26th, but you can always check our schedule at LH.com to be sure.

@Darrin: I fully understand your concerns and we want to make sure you get there during this important time for your growing family; I know those appointments are difficult to get and impossible to reschedule. At the moment your flights are operating normally and if there are any changes LH.com will be updated; we also proactively call and e-mail passengers whose flights are affected on an ongoing basis. Best of luck to you and congratulations on your decision to adopt a child!

@Jerry Gillooly: We're sorry that your flight was canceled (it was probably due to delayed availability of aircraft/crew which are in Frankfurt until the action ends), but you have already been rebooked by your travel professional who contacted us. If you need the new itinerary please contact her directly.

We know this situation may inconvenience and unsettle our passengers who rely on Lufthansa to take them everywhere for all kinds of reasons. I can personally confirm that my colleagues around the world are going above and beyond to support everyone as best we can. Although lines and hold times are longer than usual, we have increased staffing at customer touchpoints. We'll do our best to contact you if your flight is affected, but our flight schedule is always updated on our homepage at http://www.lh.com. There are also other ways to reach us for general requests (rebooking should be handled by telephone):

Twitter users can receive regular strike updates at http://www.twitter.com/Lufthansa_USA and http://www.twitter.com/Lufthansa_DE.

Facebook users will also find news posted on our fan page at http://www.facebook.com/lufthansa.

Finally, if you are a member of FlyerTalk, we invite you to join a discussion in the Lufthansa forum from our expert moderators, members, and myself as the company's liaison.

Again we appreciate your patience and understanding as we do our best to protect your travel plans.

Kind regards,
    Michelle Schiff

Account Manager, LH.com US
    @Lufthansa_USA
    On FlyerTalk: LHrelate

February 22, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
  32. Captain Ross Aimer (UAL Ret.)

Bravo LH pilots.
    Finally a group of pilots with some cojones!
    I wish my former colleagues in US could show this kind of courage and conviction to preserve the piloting profession which has been under severe attack by the greedy airline management.
    With great respect and solidarity,
    Captain Ross "Rusty" Aimer (UAL Ret.)
    CEO
    Aviation Experts, LLC
    San Clemente, CA

February 22, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  33. Rod

LUFTHANSA HAS ABANDONED ME IN IRAN

This was my third time coming to Iran. I normally flew with Turkish Airlines but this time I gave it a shot fot LH even though it is 20% more expensive.

Result of my bet for this supposedly top of the line European liner: Now I am stuck here in Tehran and the only alternative they give me is to take a plane two days after the strike finishes ...and no guarantees.

GUESS WHEN I WILL BOARDING LUFTHANSA AGAIN.

Right now I would rather fly any BananaAirline than LH.

An increadibly frustrated Spaniard in faraway Iran.

February 22, 2010 at 7:49 pm |
  34. Rod

To Cap Ross Aimer:

I would love to see you and your coj..nes stuck here in the middle of nowhere paying extra hotel and extra expenses for a technician appraising LH.

What kind of pilot are you that are happy to hurt so many passengers which are the real ones that pay your salaries.

BREAKING NEWS ROSS: your brave pilots have just suspended their heroic strike. What you have to say now?

TO ALL PASSENGERS: DO YOUR OWN COUNTER-STRIKE: DO NOT FLY LUFTHANSA DURING 2010 (and then the strikers will see who is the real deciding body in the airline)

February 22, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  35. Rod

By the way ....nobody is going to moderate/delete the comment of that supposedly Ross Aimer ???

It contains at least two insults.

February 22, 2010 at 8:13 pm |
  36. Majda

I am scared about all this trobles in airtransport.
    I am expecting my dougter coming from Spain in the Sunday morning. I hope she will come. She lost the last christmas holidays because of weather problems in London and now it seems be equal. We lost money too and shegot pneumonia and was very ill because of cancelation of flights in that cold days.
    My son is a pilot to. He works hard, every weekend only for normal salary and nothing plus!!! I know it is the end of marvelous pilot job or career. Bravo LH pilots! But this should not have happened. Lot of people fly in emergency of several kinds
    Thank you CNN users for this blog....

February 22, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
  37. Captain Ross Aimer (UAL Ret.)

Dear Rod,

I am sorry your "vacation" plans or possibly your business dealings with the criminal and repressive regime in Iran were disrupted.
    The Lufthansa pilots are facing an increasingly dangerous treat to their professional lively hood.
    LH management is borrowing a page out of their counterparts at Swiss Air's play book where with a stroke of a pen those highly experienced and professional pilots were replaced by the lower paid less experienced commuter carrier's Cross Air pilots!
    If you are too ignorant, very anti union or plain selfish not to understand these facts, try Iran Air out to Eastern Europe then Ryan Air rest of the way.
    Reading your rants, it sounds like you belong there!

Best of luck,

Captain Ross Aimer

February 23, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  38. Akbar Din

It is not first nor the last time you will see this. If you think unselfishly, the Lufthansa pilots are trying to prevent the situation that now exists in the U.S. Here the CEOs and management steal from the workers, give themselves hefty bonuses and the government looks the other way.
    I will change my travel plans but will certainly fly in Lufthansa again when the pilots return.

February 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  39. Rod

Ross,

It is clear that nobody is moderating this comments so you can keep pushing your insults as your only argument.

I am glad that you are already retired.

Most probably you will spend the rest of your already wasted life admiring others for doing something you were not able to do and you will also remain insensible to people suffering in collateral damage.

You confirm the image anyone can have for a terrible pilot.

Do not mind to answer with your usual insults if you do not want to. I am not coming back to see this page again.

Enjoy your personal paradise (where everyone else is crooked except you) staring from the outside in your rocking chair.

February 23, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  40. markh325

Looks like most folks here are missing the point.... It's not the union that's the problem. They didn't want to go on strike. Who wants to go on strike if it's not absolutely necessary to preserve one's job? This is easy – management simply should compensate the pilots for the work they do with a reasonable contract and career expectation. It's the LH managers who have refused to be reasonable here. It's LH managers who caused this problem by outsourcing pilot jobs. It's LH managers who have been intractable. It's LH managers, hiding behind their mahogany desks, not facing the public, who should be held accountable. Hat's off to the LH pilots who have brought this issue out to the flying public. If the passengers have been inconvenienced, they should be demanding resolution and restitution, from the people who have the authority to fix the issue. That would be the LH managers – not the pilots who have simply made the issue public.

February 23, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  41. Jeff Kleymann

As a Pilot for United Airlines I commend the pilots of LH for attemting to tackle the insidious scourge that all airline managements have brought to the piloting proffesion. It is way past time that we stand up to these corporate pirates and take back our livelyhoods!
    Captain Jeff Kleymann

February 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Wes (LH Pilot)

Trying to explain pilot issues to the public is like trying to explain physics to a two year old. People seem to think cheap air travel is a right. It is not. There is no airline without pilots. Pilots have a highly technical job that requires years of training, experience, and vetting to get to an airline like LUF.

I have no need to explain why I want to protect my job to the general public nor do I care what you think about my desire to protect my job. I provide a service, a service that is absolutely required for you to travel. That service costs money and I have no intention of subsidizing your cheap travel out of my pocket anymore.

LH mgmt is trying to outsource our jobs and we are going to fight them every inch of the way so when you are looking for someone to blame cast your eyes to mgmt.

Go ahead and feel all the contempt you want to about each of us flying those several hundred million euro machines. Your contempt does not really bother me, at all actually. My professional need to protect my job rests not one second on any of your opinions. Go ahead and quit flying LH, there's another passenger looking for a good deal that will fill the seat.

If LH mgmt doesn't want to meet my bottom line then they can just shut the place down for all I care. If the public had their way, I'd be working for free. Not going to happen.

In the same manner that your pay and working conditions are none of my business, my job conditions or salary are none yours so stop whining.

February 24, 2010 at 3:53 am |
  43. Buffalo

Rod

You obviously have some anger issues and need some help.

Your posts also show your "me, me, me" attitude. It's not all about you, so before whining and pontificating try and find out what the strike is all about. But you won't do that – it requires effort, it's not about you, you wouldn't understand anyway, and it would interfere with your diatribe. You are one of those passenegers who demands a very cheap ticket on one hand, but then also expects to be treated like you bought a full-fare 1st class ticket. And if the pilot's lose their pay, vacation, retirement or even jobs you don't care as long as rod is taken care of.

grow up selfish little boy

February 24, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  44. J K Bertel

If you're hit by an airline strike in Europe, you might consider the European speed trains instead. Incredibly short travel times aground, e.g. 90 minutes from Bruxelles to Paris, or hardly 3 hours from Bruxelles to London. Lines go f.eks. from Warshaw to Berlin, Zurich to Copenhagen, Marseille via Paris and Brussels to London. Or save time by using the overnight trains – rolling hotels with breakfast served at your bed!

See http://abc4trip.eu/speed-trains-vs-airline-and-air-traffic-controller-strikes-in-europe/ for links to the high speed train lines!

February 25, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  45. Captain Ross Aimer (UAL Ret.)

Wes the (LH Pilot) by far has the best answer.

If every union pilot stood on this principle as Wes does, the profession would not be in such a mess.
    Why do we have to explain anything to morons like Rod?
    Let him walk or try to learn to fly his own 777!

February 26, 2010 at 1:36 am |
  46. Hans Henrik Friis

Credit where credit is due, Michelle Schiff from Lufthansa did indeed contact me after my comments on this blog and my interview with Max Foster.

Lufthansa handled my concerns very well and assured me that my flight from Cologne to Heathrow 22.2. returning 24.2. were actually flying – which they did.

February 28, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  47. Padi Stephen

hi richard,
    thnaks for your program and letting us know type of businesses we should involve our capitals in . but i'll really appreciate if u could extend to afican businesses so we Africans can also invest in africa. than

March 11, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
  48. bdsm

I bookmarked this link . Thank you for good job !

May 17, 2010 at 1:57 am |