March 25th, 2010
12:09 PM GMT

Another round of strikes by British Airways will go ahead this weekend as passengers brace for more flight cancellations and delays.

Will you be affected by a strike?
Will you be affected by a strike?

The planned four-day walkout which begins on March 27 follows the one last weekend by crews dissatisfied with pay, benefits and staffing levels.

iReport: Are you worried?

BA will be able to run a full operation from London's Gatwick Airport and London City Airport this weekend because so many cabin crew members will be working as normal, the airline said in a statement late Tuesday.

At London's Heathrow Airport, BA will be able to run up to 55 percent of its short-haul flights and up to 70 percent of its long-haul flights, the airline said.

Passengers booked on flights that have been canceled by the strike will be offered seats on flights with BA or other airlines, or will be offered a full refund, the airline said.

Some union members walked off the job last weekend disrupting dozens of flights across the UK and around the world.

We want to know what you think.

Are you planning on flying with BA this weekend? Are you going to be disrupted by the strike?

Please leave your comments below and let us know where you're writing from and we may be in touch.

Filed under: BusinessQuest Means Business

1. fc

There are times when even sensible people seem to prefer acting in denial to face reality and do business ! . Of course it is very frightening looking at it "raw". But in this type of environment it may stil be the safest way. Someone will get to it...hopefully in time to avoid facing someday "the point of no return".

March 25, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  2. lauratheexpat

I had a chance to witness the strike firsthand last weekend. I was not flying BA (in fact, I booked another airline primarily because I feared a strike action would disrupt my trip to/from Geneva). But while at LHR, I stopped by Terminal 5 to see what was going on. What struck me was how orderly (and calm) everything was. I talked to a customer service agent and asked her if she had been busy that day – she said, "No, not really." From my perspective, it seemed as if BA had everything well under control. If the situation is handled in the same fashion this weekend, then disruption should be minimalized.

Of course, that doesn't make things very good for the flight attendants' cause. I won't weigh in on whether I find their complaints legitimate. The ability of UNITE (and perhaps other unions) to air grievances through strike actions has been severely undercut, however, and I think they will have to find new ways of expressing differences if they want outcomes in their favor.

March 25, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  3. pink zoe realm

I am Puzzled by your Comment that "some Union members walked out", it is a fact that NO one in any press agency knows how many walked out last weekend, plus I have noticed the deliberate non reporting of BA bosses spending Millions on discrediting Sir Richard Branson and his Virgin Airways back in the 90s, which no one went to prison over it, plus you are not saying anything about the fact BA staff only last year agreed to work for nothing to save BA,
    I think it time People in press end this pathetic "We Neutral Stance" when clearly very few are & the same can be said for those of you in the press get it that we heading to a World where when your jobs are under threat, NO ONE will be able to speak up for you, BA bosses & Brit MPs have shown, it is a Them & Us situation in Britain,
    the coming Rail Strike will also show this to be true as well.

March 25, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
  4. THERESA

I am not affected by another round of 'BA' strikes.

March 25, 2010 at 2:20 pm |
  5. THERESA

I assume, due to the amount of media coverage preceding the strike action, people may have been able to make other arrangements.

March 25, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  6. vizi

BA loss is Lufthansa gain

March 25, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  7. Steve Fenton

I will be enjoying the front end of a Cathay Pacific flight to Europe on Saturday, this will be the third round trip up front they have lost out now with their silly games.

March 25, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  8. George

As I have done before with regards to my clients in my travel agency, if an airline strikes, regardless of the reason, I re-book my clients on other airlines, then, as my way of boycotting the strike, I never book clients on those airlines again, same is true for what is happening now, I simply refuse to book my clients on BA from here on out.

March 25, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  9. julie

I wonder what the union told the crew members would save their jobs if they strike, Did BA managers have a chance to explain their side of the economics to the crew members directy or one on one and highlight that not only would they lose their jobs but also all their collegues who work with BA if BA went under, You'd think they would try to understand how management t was trying to protecting a few for the better of all. Can't bewlieve the people in the cabins are so stupid not to see the handwriting on the wall. If they took a cut in salary or maybe did share work they could have kept the airline going.

March 25, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  10. Luis

I am a gold card holder wih BA thats still hasnt forgiven Willy Walsh for the disastrous opening of Terminal 5, Heathrow.

His brash management style has lead to an escalation in his personal crusade against the unions further damaging the brand and disrupting the travels of loyal customers like myself.

Q. Is there noone with the balls to ask him to move to one side in order to replace this CEO with less egocentric managment skills?

BA should not be about a CEO´s battle of wills with a union- It is a company that desparately requires someone with the capability of restoring customer trust.

Lets have a visionary take the helm, before we lose this great airline forever.

March 25, 2010 at 10:23 pm |
  11. Random

Unions...especially given that BA has been proven to make more than the competition continue to self-destruct companies. Why can't they just settle for market compensation? After all – the world is a market. Go out and get a professional/educational degree if you want to make more.

March 26, 2010 at 4:09 am |
  12. sam thompson

Cabin crew:
    Your strike creates hardship, costs and anxiety to thousands of innocent passengers and their families. You have ruined weddings, business deals, family reunions, hard-worked for holidays.
    Your customers paid for your services in full, months in advance.
    They have no choice but to submit to the situation you brought upon them, pay the high cost for an alternative last minute ticket, cancel their hard earned and fully paid holidays with no hope of refund or insurance (travel insurance companies do not cover strikes)
    Your strike – due to YOUR free choice and actions, not imposed upon you by management as you seem to say – is a BULLYING tactic and an abuse of your privileged situation.
    If you hate your boss so much please leave your job to one of the thousands of others who would love to jump in your shoes.

March 26, 2010 at 6:38 am |
  13. Steve

I have now been disrupted twice by the strikes

1) Flight was cancelled so I booked another airline at my cost only for BA to contact me the next day offering to move me to another airline, they could have done that at the same time the cancelled it and not put me in a spot.

2) 1 of the 4 BA flights I have booked for next week has been cancelled and whilst my local BA team say they can move me to a BMI flight they can not do it themselves my booking agency have to do it. The Agency is struggling to get a response from BA to approve this. (Note the BA operation they are contacting is not 24*7).
    So I wait and have waited now for 3 days to get a response.

(The flights are to meet up with my kids and grandkids in Florida so you can imagine my concern)

I can understand there is a lot of extra work due to the strike but it seems that the actual paying customer is the "piggy in the middle".

In this day and age I do find it frustrating that whilst BA and the Unions are playing their "lets shoot each other in the foot" game both seem to have forgotten exactly what their job is and who in fact generates their livelyhoods.

The news is full of acusation and counter acusation but I am not reading anything about empathy for the customer.
    They both ignore the fact that there are many other airlines out there who provide exactly the same services, many at a better cost. My flights were booked with BA for convienence not price and look what I get.

I can understand the need for BA to save money and for the Unions to protect their workforce what i don't understand is how / why either thinks this is the way to resolve it.

They should both remember that they do not have an automatic right to my business they both need to earn it and they are not right now.

March 26, 2010 at 8:06 am |
  14. John K

BA deserves to go out of business. Then we'll see what the cabin crew have to strike about, while they go about finding new jobs!

March 26, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  15. Francois

Its just ridiculous that these BA staff members are allowed to strike as they wish. They affect so many people and hurt the company that pays there salary so much.
    When is this going to stop, when does government step in.

March 26, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  16. Shane

I am going to chime in here, but this is a comment about Airlines in general, not just British Airways.

For all of you traveling in the USA. There is an alternative mode of transportation that is actually quite pleasant!

Its called Amtrak folks!

I live in California. Most of the traveling my wife and I do is back and forth between the San Francisco Bay Area and Seattle, Washington.

Have I had a could of bad experiences on Amtrak? Yeah, I have. But the good outweighs those negatives.

I have no complaints about the staff on Amtrak, and they have always been both professional and courteous. they have always been extremely service minded and very pleasant.

But taking the train is not just about the good service or the staff, its about returning to a simpler time of travel, and honestly a mode of transportation with a view that no Airline Company can ever compete with.

So before we starting crying about the Union Issues, and the fact that most of the Airlines just treat their employees like cannon fodder, and their customers like the are expendable commodities, just remember there is always an alternate means of getting where you are going.

Yep, that includes taking a cruise liner to where you need to go too.

Travel by ground or water may be a bit slower, but that is the point. It's at a more RELAXING pace that jet-setting your life away at 600 Miles Per Hour at 40,000 Feet!

March 26, 2010 at 9:38 am |
  17. John Peter Harrison

I have been affected in so much that my March 31st flight from Basel to London cannot be guaranteed. The result. Another ticket purchase to Gatwick, and an eye watering trip to Heathrow on the M25 to connect to a long haul flight with another carrier. Oh the joys..

March 26, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  18. RIP

REALLY!!
    THE JOBS THE CABIN CREW HAVE ARE REALLY WELL PAID AND THE PERKS THEY RECEIVE ARE BEYOND REALITY!!
    SO I THINK, THAT THESE CABIN CREW FOLKS SHOULD REALLY PAY FULL FARE TICKETS LIKE ANY OTHER PASSENGER AND I GUARANTEE YOU THEY WON'T EVEN BE ABLE TO AFFORD A FLIGHT FROM HEATHROW TO GLASGOW! AS FAR AS THE HOTELS THEY GET TO STAY IN WHILE THEY ARE ON DUTY, THEY CAN ONLY DREAM TO AFFORD THEM OTHERWISE. SO, REALITY CHECK IS MUCH NEEDED BY THESE CABIN CREW MEMBERS WHO REALLY SHOULD BE SENT TO FLY FOR AN AIRLINE IN AFRICA FOR ATLEAST SIX MONTHS BEFORE BA WILL TAKE THEN ON IN ENGLAND... THAT AUGHT TO TEACH THEM SOME SENSE!

March 26, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  19. Mike

Flying a long-booked trip trans-Atlantic to Athens Sunday. Had to switch from the nearest metro airport to the most distant and lengthen the wait in terminal 5.

March 26, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  20. 747HVY

Really and when was the last time ,did any of them work 120 plus hours in a month. It is mandatory like at any other work group beside the flight deck...
    However did any one check to see the flower shops they own and
    the other extra business deals that are going on also while the company pays there medical coverages ....just a thought....

March 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  21. Kausar Talat

I have switched to Lufthansa
    BA leadership must take notice of the degradation of their equipment and service instead of blaming union. BA frequent miles which they talk about so much are practically uselelss. People who tried booking using mile may know what I am talking about. YES, T5 did not help either. The brand has lost its appeal

Since I started flying BA, I notice gradual degradation in BA service. Cabin Crew attitide also reflects how management treat them.

Some time you dont have any choice except to take drastic actions as union did.

March 26, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  22. sherry

I cannot beleive that with so many people losing their jobs in the past 18 months, others taking pay cuts, just to hold on to theirs. The cabin crew have the audacity to have a dummy spit about their money and conditions. After a year out of work I am earing the same wage that I was paid in 2003. Am I throwing a tantrum, NO I am grateful that I finally have a job, when still so many others don't.
    Get back to work stop crying and be grateful for what you have got.
    If all the passengers striked what the hell would you do !!....you would lose your job and then you would have something to cry about.

March 26, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
  23. T J Raj

Very sad that in this day and age, the route of inconveniencing innocent bystanders is still considered legitimate. My daughter, who studies medicine in Ireland and was flying back for Easter through Heathrow, has had her flight cancelled. Do the hotheads who think that winning is all that matters not realise that the only people who suffer are BA and the employees. My daughter has had a BA flight cancelled for the second time in one year. She refuses to allow me to book BA again. "Anything but BA, Dad" is the mantra for the rest of her academic studies.

T J Raj FRCS
    Toronto, Canada

March 26, 2010 at 7:55 pm |
  24. Barberella

I am Gatwick BA Crew and went to work last weekend. All I can tell you is that there were 40 crew just sat around with all volunteer crew being sent home. This weekend I had days off but volunteered to work if required, BA have called me today to say I wont be needed. I dont think I have come across anybody yet at LGW who actually striked or will do so this weekend. I think about 1000 crew up at Heathrow are striking but out of 14,000 crew it is a very small minority. By the next strike don't be surprised if BA are running an almost normal service.

March 26, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  25. simon

My partner works in crew operations at Heathrow. She told me that she was working as usual during the last BA Cabin Crew strikes but noted that the flights out of Heathrow were not being by crewed by normal BA CabinCrew but by Pilots and Engineers! Also that many flights departing Heathrow were in fact empty.
    BA CEO claims that there are many volunteers willing to crew the flights during the strike dates but this simply is not true and thus why he has had to charter a number of aircraft from other carriers.
    Also BA claimed that a high percentage of flights from Heathrow departed during the strike dates. This is not true because many of these flights were never operated by BA but by code share partners.
    The Cabin Crew currently remain strong and true to their word are not crossing the picket lines despite BA claiming differently.
    Willie Walsh needs to sit down with the Unions and rethink before the whole costly affair bankrupts a once first class UK brand.

March 27, 2010 at 12:41 am |
  26. Jessie from Auckland, NZ

I will say this......with regards to the harsh economic times that we are now living in.......they should be grateful that they even have a job.

Aren't they just sabotaging themselves and others? If it is a genuine one.......then by all means........ or aren't they just being a bit selfish. Someone giving them wrong advice or something?

April 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  27. Jessie from Auckland, NZ

Very sad to hear what is happening with this airline. I hope they can sort it out before too much damage has been done already. Such a crying shame.

April 2, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  28. Jessie from Auckland, NZ

What the hell is going on??????The thing has really hit the fan.

April 2, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  29. Jessie from Auckland, NZ

Better start singing Rule Brittania, I think by the sounds of it.

April 2, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
  30. stove installer milton keynes

Great goods from you, man. I've take into account your stuff previous to and you're just too wonderful. I actually like what you've received right here, certainly like what you're stating and the way in which through which you say it. You're making it enjoyable and you continue to take care of to stay it smart. I can not wait to learn far more from you. This is actually a tremendous web site.

July 13, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  31. roof painter auckland

You can definitely see your expertise within the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

July 22, 2012 at 11:02 am |