April 8th, 2010
01:10 PM GMT

The iPad may officially only be available in the United States, but that isn't stopping shoppers in places like Europe and Hong Kong from getting their hands on one.

Hundreds of iPads were seen on sale in Hong Kong - some for as much as 60 percent higher than their retail price.

How much would you pay for an iPad?
How much would you pay for an iPad?

Among those flocking to Hong Kong to own the iPad are mainland Chinese customers, said Alex Tang, who resells iPad for eSatto. Some mainland Chinese bought in iPads in bulk from the reseller to resell yet again in China for a higher price.

"One trader bought 20 from me for HK$6,500 (US$837) and planned to resell in China for RMB6,500 (US$952), using the exchange rate to make a profit," he said.

Inside an hour a CNN reporter found seven stores selling iPads in stores on the crowded streets of Mongkok, one of the most densely populated areas in the world and Hong Kong's hub for "gray market" goods - the importation of legitimate merchandise unlicensed for resale abroad.

We'd like to know what you think.

How much are you willing to buy an iPad for? How far would you go to owning one?

Filed under: BusinessQuest Means Business

1. islandbeat1

Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but my oldest son wants one. I won't spend more than $500. We will wait for the second generation iPads, when all the kinks have been hammered out.

April 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  2. Woody

I was at Best Buy in Kentucky just two days ago. No one was in line to purchase any. They were there to be had if anyone wanted one. All I had to do is ask for one and pay the money. But after reading that people were having trouble getting them to hook up to wi-fi. I see no reason to get one at this point. I do like the idea . However you can not even print using it. I do not know that for fact. So until I here better news about the wi-fi I will wait. I have been burned too many times trying to be the first to have something. That only gives me a headache.

April 8, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
  3. ana petrov

First of all, it´s a kind of toy and I wouldn´t buy one. But if I had an opportunity / different necessity I wouldn´t pay more than $500.

April 8, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  4. Faith

I agree with the islandbeat, the next generation IPads will be better. We continue to give big money to these company only to a poor product. And then the cost if very high. The Iphone did not work the first time and look how many people got burned. We don't have jobs and we are spending $500.00 on IPads. Crazy.

April 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  5. Theresa

I meant to ask you, Q, if you've bought one yet.

I'll wait awhile before I pick one up for myself. There could be copycats coming out later. I like the thin, bookish style. Its something I'd pay a couple hundred for just because I'd like to be able to read online mags and books in bed or in the bath. ( I doubt they have a steam/water proof IPad. The name gives one a more 'absorbant' impression of the product. )

April 8, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  6. ans

remember what happened with the first gen iphone? not too soon after the anticipated release, the iphone went 3g with upgrades and they lowered the price. didn't apple get sued for that? i forgot what happened in the end. but anyways, I don't want to take my chances with the ipad. chances are that history will repeat itself and will leave these crazed ipad owners scratching their heads thinking "didn't this happen before'?

April 8, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  7. Christina

If I am willing to buy an iPad, I am willing to pay the price it costs – but I don´t think that I need one. A friend of mine has bought one on day no. 1, I tested it and .... don´t need one.

April 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  8. Lisa

Love, love, love mine! Have yet to experience any problems with it let alone the wi- fi connection. In fact, I am using it right now from a wi-fi hot spot. This is where we are, technologically speaking, headed folks. Don't resist it, just go with it.

April 8, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  9. zacatecas_guy (twitter)

i dont have money even for a pizza and a pepsi ! haha ohh my,, anyway ! y have two excellent laptops and a dsl service but not for much time longer ! LOL

April 9, 2010 at 2:00 am |
  10. Trevor

I wouldn't pay more than $50 for this hunk of junk

April 9, 2010 at 5:42 am |
  11. Ruth Hirt

Features of the iPad is user-friendlier. One can enjoy browsing, better relaxes the eyes than with the smaller iPhone, doesn't easily slip out from owner's sight and grips. Its value should not be lower than 450.US$

April 9, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  12. Brian Marsden

Honestly, the iPad seems more like something I would get my nephew, who is 10, not something I would get myself.

April 9, 2010 at 9:46 pm |
  13. ilir Kapaj

I would pay up to $100 for iPad. Now the price is really high, hope it will go down after 6 months or a year.

April 10, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  14. Ruth Hirt

Are regulations not imposed, if they are, is China, let alone Hongkong exempted? Is that not an utter defiance to fair trade? How fair really is fair on what is supposed to be condemned? Are the nations' arms in the World Trade tied over/against China? Politics? As ever.

April 10, 2010 at 11:32 am |
  15. Aran K

It's apple and marketing again. "oh! smart people buy our crap"

Why would I need an Ipad if I can use my laptop anywhere I go?

April 17, 2010 at 4:42 pm |