June 10th, 2010
12:44 PM GMT

In the latest blow to the summer travel season in Greece, tourism workers have announced that they will hold a 24 hour strike to protest against recent government imposed austerity measures.

Are you affected by tourism strike?
Are you affected by tourism strike?

The strike, which will be held on June 30, will see roughly 100,000 restaurant, hotel and bar employees walk off the job to protest cuts in government pension funds and other belt-tightening measures.

The Panhellenic Federation of Catering and Tourist Industry Officials, which is the union representing tourism workers, say the strike is designed to highlight the challenges facing the industry.

“We want to inform the Greek people, the domestic and the foreign tourists, of the big problems in the industry that is forcing us to proceed with labor actions,” president of the union, Leonidas Karathanasis, said.

“We understand the difficult situation, but we are not doing this to create problems. However, we have reached a state where we can’t go any further.”

The union also announced a four-hour work stoppage strike on June 16.

The strikes are being seen as another harsh blow to the already weak tourism economy, which accounts for 15 percent of the gross domestic product.

Tourism officials estimate that about 30,000 nights in Athens’ hotels were cancelled because of violent riots on May 5 which killed three people.

Industry insiders also expect a drop of 15 percent in revenue at the country’s hotels.

We want to know what you think.

Have you changed your travel plans because of the delicate economic situation in the country? Has the low Euro and cheap prices lured you to the Greek islands this summer? Are you going to be in Greece on either June 16 or June 30?

Please leave your comments below.

1. Graham

I was considering buying a property in Greece and I was watching the Pound/Euro rate improve which would help me and also encourage UK tourists but the problems in Greece have put me off the idea now. Greek working people must understand that tourism and overseas investment are critical to its recovery from its governments financial mismanagment so if they strike they are just damaging their future prospects, not protecting them. They will have to take the austerity and work even harder if they ever hope to get back to where they were.

June 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  2. Vi

With the rate that people are being fired, it is a wonder that there are still workers to strike.
    The bottom line is that Greece is an amazing place to have holidays, however "scary" they are trying to present the situation. We, the greeks studying abroad, will run back to spend the summer there. Because one thing that cannot be underestimated is the beauty of the islands, the beaches, and the sun..
    Sorry for being romantic, but this is how it is for us that miss this battered loving country of ours.

June 10, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  3. Tony

Not at all, I will go to the Dalmatian Coast in Croatia. I was there last year on a cruise excursion and it was absolutely gorgeous! Great value too.

June 10, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  4. Volk

If you ask me, the only way to quell the strikes in Greece is an effective fight with corruption. Last week an ex minister admitted that he accepted bribes from Siemens. Even ex-PMs and current party leaders are linked to the Siemens scandal and other scandals. Greece was never short of corruption but nobody was convicted until now. These are the people who depleted the country's resources. The current government should step up and ensure that they are penalized to the full extend of the law to set up examples. Otherwise strikers have every right to protest as they are currently the only ones paying the price. Taking the austerity and working harder would only mean that others can continue to steal.

June 10, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  5. Paul

We have been wondering whether to vacation in Greece or Turkey this summer and have been concerned about strikes (we live in France and it is a way of life here and a pain in the ....). So, it looks like we'll be spending August in Turkey, great culture, food, and beaches!

June 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  6. marion

Good choice, Paul!

June 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  7. Pete F.

I was going to go to an all inclusive resort in Sivota Greece this summer, but now that the Tourism sector has decided to strike, there is no way I will risk it.

Greece you are writing your own suicide note by going on strike or even threatening to. Who will want to take the risk, if Turkey is open for business? Shame on you Greece for cutting off your nose to spite your face – you deserve abandonment!

June 10, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  8. Pierre

In May we modified our vacation plans. Instead of spending a week in the Greek islands, we decided to go to the Amalfi Coast, in Italy. Our motivation was the concern of being blocked somewhere.

June 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
  9. Artur Meireles

Its unreal how the greek people is digging their own hole!!! Instead of helping they make it worst!!!

June 10, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  10. Joost

They are out of their minds
    we in Holland have to controbute 30 billion euro to save the Greeks
    And they want to on strike, lets keep the euro´s in our own pockets
    and see how they gonna manage to survive.
    one big corruption black hole

June 10, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
  11. Chris

Eeek. I'll be there the 30th. Supposed to take a ferry from Santorini to Praos that day! We'll see what happens I guess.

June 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  12. Paul

I live in Germany and visit Greece several times every year and I own property there. I was just in the Thessaloniki area 2 weeks ago. Talking to my friends and locals, their biggest complaint: The media blowing everything out of proportion.

June 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  13. Patricia

We just got back from a trip to Greece on June 7th. The people were very friendly, service was good, food as fantastic as ever (my husband and I were there in '94 pre-Euro). Prices were actually fairly reasonable compared to Italy and other European countries for comparable items. We loved the trip and would go again in a heartbeat. There was a ferry strike while we were there but we didn't use the ferries that day.
    Greece is still worth visiting. My love affair with it is still strong as ever. The lower Euro versus the dollar was a big bonus. I will be back.

June 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
  14. Tina

Ahhh Greece, the poorest country with the richest citizens... WAKE UP!

June 10, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
  15. Frank

Nope will not impact me. i just will not go to Greece.

June 10, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  16. Chuck

Joost – dont worry buddy we're not starving here and weather or not we get your bailout money it'll make make no difference to me because i will not see one penny of it.
    the majority of greek people dont want your money or anyone elses. we would rather default and get out of the eu and go back to the drachma- the standard of living was much better back then. however it is our corrupt government that wants the bailout money to further put us into more debt, the same ones that have created this mess to begin with. we have the freedom to protest this corruption and we shall peacefully take it to the streets to speak our minds.

June 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  17. Barb

Just where would we run to, my 84 yr old little Greek mom and me, when a thousand hotel rooms close as workers walk out, streets are blocked for 24 hours at a time, no emergency services are reachable, seaports and airports closed..........all at JUST A MOMENTS NOTICE!!
    ...........We cancelled a 12 day visit–we would be there right now. NO way would I expose my mom to that situation..
    .Greek friends here, who have property in Athens, warned us also. The have first hand information from their homeland families and warned us to stay home for now.

We are so disappointed, but we know better than to venture into such unrest.

Very disappointing to miss such an incredible trip, but going there now is just asking to be caught in the center of a countrywide mess.
    The people need to strike against the corruption and make their point. But we can monitor all that from here.

June 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  18. Capt Ram

Wonderful the Greek Islands, not many places as nice as here! come and sail here with us sailing-charters dot org

June 10, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
  19. Chuck

Barb- im sorry that you had to cancel your travel plans but it seems like you’ve been misinformed as to what really goes on here. first of all the media blows it out of proportion. not everyone in the tourism sector participates in the strikes only people that are affiliated or are part of various labor unions, so maybe 25 percent of total workers- there is a plethora of available hotels everywhere so finding a place to stay never becomes an issue. transportation is also never an issue because if the public sector decides to have a strike (busses, trams, trains, subways) then the private transport (taxis) does not strike, there is an agreement between the two. Whatever you’re being told by your family and friends is outright ludicrous.
    Lastly my question to you is where exactly is the “unrest” and the “countrywide mess”?

June 10, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  20. Rich Caress

I spent 11 summers working in the beautiful Greek islands between 86 and 97, I remember the tavernas, and owners who would always bring a free plate of entrees and a glass of retsina. You never saw a car younger than 10 years old.
    Now, everyone is driving a top of the range motor, and they charge you 1 euro for a glass of tap water, and you are surrounded by plasma TV's while you are having breakfast!!
    Greece is no more..

Zeus must be turning in his grave!!!

June 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  21. Christina O'Shaughnessy

Greece, its people and its islands can never lose their charm.
    Definitely intending to visit this year; and, of course, very sad over the miserable economic situation of the people. But Greece, now more than ever, needs its tourists this season. Let's show some solidarity, folks!

christina1@ireland.com

June 10, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  22. Chuck

Barb i have another question for you:
    How in the world do strikes happen "JUST AT A MOMENTS NOTICE" when cnn is reporting about it weeks in advance?

June 10, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  23. Paul

My parents went to Greece in the late '80s while on a visit from the U.S. to see us in Switzerland. Virtually all of the museums and historical sites were closed by strikes. They wasted a good deal of their time and money and left feeling very frustrated.

I consider Greece to be a borderline third world state – about as reliable as North Africa or Turkey. I don't see how the Euro zone accepted them.

These lazy people should get off their ...es and get to work. They have a lot of shoveling to do to get out of the hole they've dug themselves into.

June 10, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  24. pipoye

Why add to the problem (strikers), if you can be a part of a solution.

June 10, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  25. Amanda

I have traveled to Greece and a nice place for a vacation. Lots of sun, but not the best idea with the strikes. I would hate to get stuck because people went on strike and the bus, plane, or/and train was not running. After the government works out there problems great place to go, but I would hold off until things settle down in the country.

June 10, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  26. Greece out Turkey In

Come to Turkey.

inclusive terms 50 dollar beginning price.

June 10, 2010 at 6:27 pm |
  27. Greece out Turkey In

also five stars....
    *****

June 10, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  28. Michael and Elaine Daskaluk

On June 16th., our cruise ship will be docking in Athens. After travelling all the way from Las Vegas, we will probably have to stay on board the ship. Fun!!! (only kidding). The workers and the unions don't know how good they have had it all these years with other countries paying their wages.

June 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm |
  29. diane

i was really really excited to go to greece this summer, but i guess thats not happening, the rest of europe will do i guess.....

June 10, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  30. f1mktsol

Considering the average Greek only works about three days a year, I guess a 24 hour strike is a big deal. I just hope there is no mass starvation during the ordeal.

June 10, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  31. JoJo

Don't the Greeks realize that all of the violence & strikes will lead to businesses & tourists avoiding their country & thus make their financial crisis even worse?

June 10, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  32. Kelly

People listen up!!!
    Greece is a gorgeous country and has very nice friendly people. Everything is created by the media and all the dumb people believe 'em!! I have one thing to say!!! Unfortunately Greece and Greek people have too many enemies which are created from Jealousy!!!
    Greek people don't starve and even with one euro in their pocket they know how to survive!! So with or without tourism Greek's will survive! They survived years ago with worst situations!! So if people are afraid to go to Greece dont go!! is your lost!!! I am taking my entire family of 8 there and I am not Greek!!!!! Yeasoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  33. Alexandros Gerakis

I am regular (almost daily) reader of CNN site.I am Greek,live in Athens and strongly opposed to strikes in tourist section, especially during this period.However,I dont know nothing about this strike.Did you have checked it twice?.I am very sorry, as a Greek citizen, to hear that so many people 've changed their plans to visit Greece.If CNN ask this question, without apparent reason, affect in a wrong way people attitude and moods to our tourism which is very important to our economy.The readers who exprees critical comments are right from my point of view,but beleive me things are very quiet now and you can enjoy again this summer uneventfully and I am not a traveler agent.

June 10, 2010 at 6:57 pm |
  34. wred

I'm missing where this will help Greece in the long run. Tourism is the strongest product Greece has right now and to potentially scare away even a small percentage of tourists makes no sense. I have family in Greece so I'll visit regardless, but I'm really tired of the Greeks complaining about a government that THEY elected. You don't like it, get involved in politics and make changes...or maybe it's just easier going back to drinking your coffee and just complaining about it instead.

June 10, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  35. kappa

Well, It is not true that "roughly 100,000 restaurant, hotel and bar employees will walk off the job" on June 30. I even doubt if the participation in this strike will be over 1-2%, as is the case lately with most of the strikes in the private sector.
    What is true, is that union leaders of this and of other unions feel nowadays oblidged to proclaim strikes – in order to justify their own existence by "doing something". But most people working in the private sector know well that their interests are not identical with those of their union leaders – not anymore, or at least not these hours.
    On June 30 there will be not one hotel, bar or restaurant that will be closed here-you can be shure of that. The only strikes a visitor in Greece should be really cautious of, would be those in the transport sector (ships, plains etc).

June 10, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  36. Olav

Going there with family, fortunately just between the strikes – just – and for that I am pleased. Can probably not fully recognize the desperate situation the Greeks are in, but I can not understand why something that makes the problems bigger is the only way to go for the Greek unions. Some years ago a company planned to close a pizza factory they own in a remote hamlet on the Western part of Norway. The workers decided to work harder and put out more pizza. The company backed, and doubled the investment there. At least. Perhaps the Greeks should do something similar? If I was working in the Greek tourist industry, I am not sure if I would like my union to do something that scares the tourists away.

June 10, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  37. Recent Greek Tourist

The majority of people in the Greek Tourism industry are hard working and good people. Most of the tourists want to experience the greek culture witness the beauty and enjoy their vacations. Striking will sour their experience and impact the family run businesses. Why are you people so stupid – yes cutting off your nose.....There are other ways to demonstrate – striking sends the wrong message.

June 10, 2010 at 8:24 pm |
  38. jim the greek

i want to say something to writer Peter f.he said=shame on u greece..and is better to be abandont...mr..have u ever wonderded..that the basis..for on what u write on(conputer)..astronomy...maths..philosofy...bla..bla..it;s common knowledge...started from the Greeks,,?who gave u the Lights?u know something?..all the world must pay a rent to greece because of these!!so..who u think u are who think that can say leave greece at her misserable fate?

June 10, 2010 at 8:42 pm |
  39. Richard

We paid in full for a scheduled 3 week tour of Thailand, but because of the civil unrest there we told out tour agent we did not want to go. He suggested Greece instead. We looked into Greece and it looked worse than Thailand, throwing stones & Molotov cocktails, smashing windows, burning vehicles, etc. Why should we jump from the frying pan into the fire! Greece with its wonderful history, beautiful views & buildings on one side and and the nuts running around destroying the place on the other, instead of having peaceful demonstrations. Well Greece and Thailand just lost a few thousand tourism dollars from us because we will find another country where you don't have to look at destruction and dodge rocks and bullets.

June 10, 2010 at 9:10 pm |
  40. JohnJohn

My wife and I and our 2-year old are leaving tomorrow for Greece! We can't wait. We've been before and simply find Greece its people, the food, the scenery, the islands, the cities, the country-side, the most beautiful in the world. The Greek people are amazingly hospitable, kind and generous and we don't care if a few of them strike here an there. It's Europe for heavensake...they strike all the time! Better Greece than any other place!

June 10, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
  41. Albert

Well, many tourists may have to change their plans, but there are other wonderful mediterranian countries that can offer much to tousrists. How about Monte Negro, Albania, Turkey, not to mention already established tourist destinations such as Italy, Spain, France....

June 10, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  42. KS

Give it a chance!
    Don't believe all that is said in the media!

Yes there are problems in the country but it is still an unmatchable choice for holidays under the sun and it is now even greater value.

Dont dramatize things – come and see for yourself. I've been living abroad for 7 years but still enjoy a couole of weeks on the islands or mainland.

June 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  43. Augie

The truth is, living in Greece I can understand the frustration that the people feel towards the government, but I absolutely cannot understand why they are making decisions that are doing more harm than good to themselves and to their image. I can also say with all honesty that Greece is still as wonderful as ever to visit, and I suggest, to anyone interested, to visit the less-advertised places that are not located along the major ferry routes... I live on the island of Thassos and the small ferry company here has only had a single 4-hour strike to rightfully protest, but they kept it short because they did not want to cause problems for the tourists or the local economy. Most have never heard of this beautiful island, but Thassos is one of Greece's best kept secrets and the situation here is nothing like what the media is saying about Greece in general.

June 10, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  44. dina

Wow... I like Greece and the Greek but they really need to get a grip on reality. We are facing major financial cuts because of them and they are still on strike? And now in one of the few profitable industries they've got? Come on...

June 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  45. Jack

Will we even be able to tell when the hospitality workers strike in Greece? Most of them just stand around and smoke anyway.

June 10, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  46. Magdalena Maria-Anna

There is not a single country in the world as beautiful as Greece! Neither Turkey or Italy or Spain have such amazing islands and coastal areas, so if you do not visit, it will be your loss! Greek people didn't steal the money, their corrupt governments did over a period of 35 years, so don't punish the people for what the situation is today! If you are a 'pro' at travelling, you should know that, our history and civilization go beyond austerity measures and strikes...

June 10, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  47. anita

I am half-Greek, I love Greece, I love my people and I would go there–no fear.

June 10, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  48. dimitri

I spent a charming year on Crete and in Corinthos in 1968. I seek an answer from a "backpacker type. Can I live somewhewre in Greece for perhaps as little ba 600 euros a month. I live frugally, mostly studying readin, PC etc. Any ideas. Angry replies are not welcome.

June 10, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  49. D. UK.

Why all this hate against the Greeks? Don't you see that everyone is doing their best to get out of this situation? The prime minister, to begin with, is visiting ...Libya! He was also in Hungary back in February, I think. One would expect North Korea to be coming soon for him. Everything is working like clockwork (not)!

June 11, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  50. V

I'm going to be in Santorini on June 30. It's our 1 full day there. Can we get an expert commentary on what we should expect? I can't imagine EVERYTHING will be closed, right?

June 11, 2010 at 12:12 am |
  51. Randallq

@ tina
    "Ahhh Greece, the poorest country with the richest citizens... WAKE UP!"
    I agree – however laying down and crying is not the way to make a situation improved. You need to prosicute the guilty if there are, and move forward with PRIDE. You look like a bunch of crying babies.
    IMHO – Deal with your offenders and be better tomorrow!

June 11, 2010 at 12:15 am |
  52. kk

Just got back from two weeks in Greece and had a fabulous time. The sights, the people, the service - great! No problem. Apparently there was a protest near (at?) the Acropolis while we were in Athens, but we didn't know about it, and it didn't effect us. As someone here mentioned earlier, it seemed that most of the Greek people we spoke to were ticked off with the media for blowing things way out of proportion. I had been a little nervous about going, but now I would encourage anyone to go, even it you encounter an inconvenient few hours or even a day. No restaurants? Buy some cherries and cheese and bread from a market and have a picnic! There are ways. Make it an adventure. ... And I wish the Greek people luck and sensible heads somewhere to get out of this mess (I understand Greece will soon be joined with other EU countries. :(

June 11, 2010 at 1:53 am |
  53. Mik

Poorest country with the richest citizens... WAKE UP!
    Don't trouble the whole world!
    Leave the Euro zone please...
    GO back to your misery!!!
    Or please let me buy some of your island he he he...

June 11, 2010 at 3:18 am |
  54. Deepwater805

A few years ago I was my companies country manager in Greece. My Greek secretary used to tell me that Greece in a very poor country, full of rich people, and that it is a national obsession to avoid taxes, with the laws set up to make tax evasion easily accomplished. The Greeks have no one to blame but themselves.

June 11, 2010 at 3:19 am |
  55. Pocham

We decided against Greece and are going to Bulgaria. Too many unknownsi in Greece that could ruin our vacation.

June 11, 2010 at 3:44 am |
  56. Jana

while I can absolutely understand the frustration I think this is one of the dumbest moves to show that. the only people affected by that strike are the one's that are actually bringing money into the country, tourists.
    We have already booked our vacation on Rhodos for August but if I had known this would be coming I would have booked a holiday in Croatia instead.
    I love the Greek islands, Greek food, culture and people and we've been visiting different islands over the past 4 years and were planning to keep doing so but if they should mess with the one vacation I have per year, that will certainly change mind. I'll wait and see what goes on in August...

June 11, 2010 at 4:36 am |
  57. john

turkey is number one. cheap, quality and fantastic...turksh food is perfect..

June 11, 2010 at 5:08 am |
  58. YIANNIS

I AM A GREEK EUROPEAN CITIZEN AND I AM REALLY SURPRISED AND DISAPPOINTED BY HOW THE OTHER EUROPEANS ARE SO EASILY AFFECTED BY THE NEWS AND ALL THESE VERY "RELIABLE" ARTICLES.I USED TO THINK THAT THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR IS MORE GREEK BUT THE LAST MONTHS I REALIZED THAT IT HAS BECOME MORE GERMAN.PLEASE THINK AGAIN WE ALL EUROPEANS AND WE ALL NEED TO HELP EACH OTHER AND GET INFORMED BY PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNOW THE SITUATION AND NOT BY SOME JOURNALISTS WHO HAVE NO SENSE OF DIGNITY, HISTORY AND ECONOMY.PLEASE BE CAREFULL BECAUSE MAYBE LATER THIS CAN BE TURNED TO ANOTHER PART OF EUROPE.

June 11, 2010 at 5:44 am |
  59. Michael

Was planning on going to Greece, already booked the ferry, glad I did not pay a deposit. Going to stay in Italy instead. What choice do I have with two kids? Think the Greeks are nuts as they are not just shutting down for one day, anyone who has plans to be there on either side of that day for 2 weeks will cancel. After the civil unrest, that surely is the way to get tourism back on track.. not. If you destroy tourism, what do you have left? nothing.

June 11, 2010 at 6:01 am |
  60. Dennis

I got here last week (Peloponnese), it's beautiful and the weather is awesome 36 C ... all services running normally, the people are very optimistic and agree that the media has blown things way out of proportion. The beaches are full, the hotels/villas in my area are booked and the food is amazing as always.

Greece, there is no substitute.

Yia Sou!!

June 11, 2010 at 6:37 am |
  61. Mikki

I live in Athens the strikes are not as bad as the newspapers and tv make it out to be,Greeks have a certain boundry to strike in and they dont leave that boundry.The strikes dont happen all over Athens just in a certain Area were the parlamaint building is thats it.And troubles at times are caused by hooligans who have nothing else to do NOT BY THE GREEKS PROTESTING PEACEFULLY.No matter what is said and done Greece is a fantastic holiday destination .

June 11, 2010 at 6:42 am |
  62. Shagy

I'm vacationing in Athens and the Island of Corfu in August. No chance in hell I'm backing out of that. Greece (especially the Greek Islands) is second to none in beauty.

June 11, 2010 at 6:59 am |
  63. DN

Greece is amazing but can be expensive and service levels low, go a bit further north to the beautiful coastal areas of Albania, Montenegro, and Croatia, excellent values, great hospitality (especially in Albania), and really quite marvelous!

June 11, 2010 at 7:02 am |
  64. M. Kynigos

I will be in Greece and sailing the WONDERFUL greek islands under any conditions. Strike or no strike I will not miss to visit Greece and Greek Islands. The recent economic crisis had forced Greeks to reduce prices significantly and make the visit more attractive. But to have an opinion about Greece and Greek Islands you have to visit the place and compare it with other places. It is not comparable. We are speaking about the only Paradise on Earth. Do not wait to die to go to Paradise. Visit it when you are alive. Either on strike or no strike. It is worthy.

June 11, 2010 at 7:10 am |
  65. Konstantinos Lemonis

This is by far my favorite country in the summer; what is there to say about the beautiful islands the warm sun and the crystal clear sea waters.
    The Greeks are so proud that they have put on their best face and are eager to welcome every single tourist.
    I would rate this year as the BEST opportunity to visit the country and a strike or two are far less disruptive than the two week long troubled stranded travellers because of the volcanic ash or the strikes of airline employees across the world.
    Last but not least I STRONGLY recommend you visit the New Acropolis Museum; few countries can boast a better venue and few have such a proud history!
    Let's ALL visit Greece SUPPORT the Greeks and help them build an equally GREAT Future!

June 11, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  66. Leonidas Karathanasis

It is not allowed for anyone to play bad publicity games against our country, the country where democracy was born and which recognizes,like all democratic countries the constitutional right of strike. The general strike in our professional sector, does not create, in any case, situations that disturb the safety conditions of living in Greece. We welcome in our homeland all tourists who visit it or plan to visit it in future.

Leonidas Karathanasis
    President of Panhellenic Federation of Catering and Tourist Industry Employees

June 11, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  67. greeknewbie

I just came back from Greece on Friday, June 4th, 2010 from a two week vacation. During the entire vacation, there was a public transportation strike in Athens and that caused a two hours delay in the traveling plan. Other than that, everything went perfectly as planned. Although it was my first time visiting the country, I feel it is important to share that Greece is a very friendly and lovely country. I was deeply touched by the hospitality and warmth of the local people. I feel that no matter what strikes will be reported in the media, the reality is quite tolerable and, from my perspective, fairly acceptable in comparison to the heartfelt beauty of the land and its people. My sincere good wishes to Greece and its people.

June 11, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  68. jim the greek

i respond to Mik...u wish to buy one of our islands..not even in ur drwams...hehehe,,,

June 11, 2010 at 6:49 pm |
  69. John H.

We have a travel group of 5 couples and were booking a cruise for September when the riots started. We were then going to do a cruise that skipped Greece but included Turkey. Then Turkey did the Brazil/Iran two-step followed by the blockade buster. We looked back at Greece, which was getting calmer. Now, we've decided to go to Alaska.

June 11, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  70. Skevos Zembillas

Living in Greece 6 years now I can say the Dodecanse islands are same as always. The time to come to Greece currently is very good because you can find better deals overall for services. The people are very friendly compared to many other destinations in Europe. They almost all speak English and most will go out of their way to be helpful to any tourist. If there is a strike it may delay you for a day but I would say it is not the end of the world. I was stuck in Italy with the ASH cloud for 4 days so sometimes things are out of our control.

June 12, 2010 at 5:51 am |
  71. 1929spectre

The economic situation here just for the tourist industry is extremely ominous ,many who rent restaurants here last year were unable to make enough money to pay there rents,this year they are not even opening ? The resorts are starting to resemble economic wastelands ? The people who work for hotels are usually paid at the beginning of the next season ,many have not been paid this season,and hotels shut down ,or gone bankrupt ?those who employ companies or individual tradesmen are not paying there bills,in alarming increasing numbers .How will this country pay its bebt obligation with a collapsing tourist industry ?News agencies like this one have tried to whip up a green shoots of recovery for global trade etc ,you decide if its true ?

June 12, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  72. Joanie in Wisconsin

We are arriving in Athens by ship, on July 1st. We did not book any tours as we aren't even sure if the ship will be serviced by dock workers or not during the 24-hour strike. It just doesn't make sense to me that thousands of tourists are willing to throw good money into the Greek economy each week, but they'd rather turn us away. It's a lose-lose situation and makes no economic sense. The gov't can't squeeze blood out of a stone, and a strike won't make any difference.

June 18, 2010 at 2:25 am |
  73. Noah Martin

I love to taste some greek foods because they are very spicy.',-

June 22, 2010 at 3:28 am |
  74. Tina Kilpatrick

We are presently in Greece for holiday. This has been one of the worst vacations we have ever had. The transportation strikes prevent you from moving about freely. Imagine the amount of money lost to the country just because you are unable to enjoy the country. The people here are very selfish, unwilling to assist in the simpilest requests, and could really care less if visit their country or not. I will spend my vacation dollars elsewhere as there will be no return to this country for me. If you are thinking of coming to Greece for holiday, PLEASE go somewhere else.

Tina Kilpatrick, USA

June 24, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  75. John K

I am American working with the US Navy at NSA Souda Bay for the last year. From the heady days of the elections last October to the current crisis, I have witenessed first hand the decline of the Greek econom and its effect on daily life on Crete.
    The people almost universally believe that the previous administration (like in the US) has destroyed the finanacial underpinnings of a once booming economy. Through corruption, dishonesty, and criminal activity the average citizen blames the last government (Athens) for allowing a very small percentage of the population to reap the lion's share of the wealth, while placing not only the Greek people, but the very system itself at peril. In short, like a grwoing majority in our own country they are out for the heads of those who have through greed and arogance placed their once stable, productive, and energetic way of life in great jeopardy.
    A common comment from locals is that until the criminals of the last administration are brought to justice they will not retreat from the every growing anti-government efforts which include frequent strikes aimed at the once thriving economy in order to bring attention to those who would rather not become the focus of their unrest – perhaps this is something we Americans should serioulsy consider in our own crisis at home?
    As Mr's Bush, Cheney, Paulson, Rumsfeld, and Rove reap the economic rewards of what is now seen as a calibrated intent bring our country to war for the economic gains of a very few, the rest of the American taxpayers now suffer under the burden of their missmanagement, and simply dishonesty. Like the Greeks, the administration before the one deferated in October of 2009, inherited a booming economy, a balanced budget, and nearly a half-billion dollars in surplus. In short, the house was in good order and the future promising for all, not just an elite few oil and financial personalities.
    Also, in a far too familiar fashion, the last administration literally burned down the house before tunirng it over to the current one.
    Perhaps one of the youngest nations in the world should consider the mistakes of one of the oldest.
    Those that deny history are of course, condemded to repeat it.

jekv

June 25, 2010 at 7:48 am |
  76. Elizabeth Taylor

Greek Foods are tasty and delicious maybe because of the spices they put in it.`~

September 6, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  77. Greece travel deals

Great information. It's very useful for me. I do agree with your opinions, it's really a good and flexible job....
    Very well said, thanks for sharing.

September 7, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  78. allangering

In some places, the bad Greek economy combined with fewer tourists over the past two years may create a perfect storm. It just may not make financial sense to refresh and open up that seasonal hotel or restaurant; this will be more likely in the less-touristy locations and islands.

September 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  79. icons design

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you rae not right. I am assured. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM.

hpixel