August 3rd, 2010
10:13 AM GMT

This is your chance to quiz Richard Quest and Ali Velshi.

From Dreamliners to deep sea drilling - You choose the topics and in one minute, they’ll tell you everything you need to know.

BUT what happens when Ali and Richard go head to head? Who will win? Send us your questions and they’ll be quizzed – live on Q&A.

1. Manish

Hello Mr. Quest, I am big fan of yours. However, I felt looking at this episode of Future Cities, you have mixed up two issues. One of the issues is of migrant population and another is about housing shortage (for middle class). New Delhi is not just one city it is actually a cluster of multiple towns called as NCR (National Capital Region )of Delhi making it one of the biggest urban areas (size wise) in the world. While your report focuses on city of New Delhi, it ignores the fact that the initiative of enhancing the status of city to a region (i.e. NCR) over last decade or so has already paid dividends on both fronts i.e. resolving the housing for middle class and also helping migrants to spread into satellite towns in NCR rather than remaining concentrated into city of New Delhi. Your report seems to focus on very limited number of instances where Government of Delhi has removed shanty towns that had mushroomed illegally over some of prime lands and relocating occupants to rather remote locations. For someone like me who has lived best part of four decades of his life in the streets of New Delhi will not be able to understand what your report actually wanted to show. For someone who doesn't know India would only believe that people in New Delhi actually sleep on a rickshaw (as your report seem to suggest) – which is not correct.

August 3, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  2. Treese

Excellent idea. Doubt I'll be quizzing them much. I don't know anything about money – except how to spend it.

August 6, 2010 at 2:55 am |
  3. Vineet

This Question for Q and A

With the fast growth of the BRIC Economy , will there be multiple financial power centers in the coming decade?

August 9, 2010 at 7:40 pm |
  4. bob hurwit

for the life of me i dont understand why more attention has not been reported to the millions of self employed people who are out of work or at least taking no paychecks. we fall between the cracks because we are unable to collect unemployment and no way to report out lost earnings. This includes everyone from the shoe shine boy, small flower shop, restaurant owners, and even architects and doctors. Cnn reports on a daily basis the standard reported unemployment figures as delivered by ? – but what about us !

August 11, 2010 at 6:47 pm |
  5. Ewelina

The forest around chernobyl are burning. These forest have been affected by heavy nuclear fallout during the chernobyl nuclear disaster. How will this affect global climate and is it possible the we might face a nuclear winter?

August 11, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  6. claude kagan

more than a hundred yeas ago the English speaking world was trapped by the greed of wall street into a tradition now merely known as QW$RTY. In order to sell more typewriters the keyboard was designed to be inneficient, that is easy to do locate keys for maximum finger travel across the keyboard for English, for english speaking people. It worked as you all know The Gritish keyboard is only slightly different from the American, deliberately lousy. This is well know but well ignored. It was patented and patents are always Good, it is assumed. Wrong.

The US military decided to try the alternagte keyboard layout which has been standardized int he USA as ANSI XD3.207 in 1971 and is capable of more than 20 to 30 percent enhancement of performance, that is to sayh that much less wasted time moving your fingers in all directions leading to long term dislocation as found and reported by OSHA, another secret.

OK so the Americans follow like sheep, Does Britain also follow like sheep or are they using the alternate which is available by four mouse clicks on ALL computers made since 1998. The Daqnish have a different keyboard for DANis language, and other countries are studying the issues.

if you want to see peamerican wormen tyuping for the US navy see the two film clips on http://www.youtube.co1/ancelme or documents on sam76.com

As clark Howard would say, time is money, save time and save your wallet. I bet he uses QWERTY, hence he is a false prohhet

cost of conversion four mouse clicks, and stickers to put on the keytops and some sweat equity.

Claude Kagan

August 12, 2010 at 12:20 am |
  7. Tom-Vermillion, Ohio

Mr. Quest, what is the ordinary European's view of what's going on here in America with respect towards the political and economic situation? What are their feelings?

August 12, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  8. Colleen Parsons

Dear Ali and Richard,

I am not an economist, nor a mathematician, but it seems quite obvious to me that the only way we can heal this country financially is to allow the Bush tax cuts to expire (republicans won't have to lift a hand) and let the rich go back to paying their fair share in taxes. It would allow much needed capital (to the tune of 300B) to flow back into individual states, ensuring important agencies, ie., medicare and health and human resources, stay afloat to help the needy. When Clinton left office, there was a surplus and people were doing well due to the rich paying their taxes. If one makes $110,000 on up, they do not pay Social Security taxes (hello??) no wonder SS has no money! During the Clinton years, the wealthy were paying 29-30% in taxes and during the Bush years he dropped it to 7-12% and left the poor and middle class to fill the void of 30% taken out of our paychecks. We cannot continue to have this upside down economy. If you have to anger the rich and big businesses who outsource our jobs, do it. Cleaning house has always made some people unhappy, but end up smiling when their house is clean and running smoothly. The poor and middle class cannot support the entire country and the rich should not be taking a free ride on the backs of the rest of us.
    Also, people who can't afford it are being forced into furloughs and pay cuts to deal with states' budget shortfalls, but why is it that the governors, senators, etc can't have a freeze put on their pay or have it "garnished". That alone would save millions of dollars per year due to higher salaries, seems pretty simple, but what does the average american know that the "best minds" in the country don't??!

Finally, the Supreme court ruling that corporations can lobby for political gain is disgusting. This needs to be changed as well or this country will no longer be for the people by the people, it will be simply an embarrasement-for the rich by the rich!!

Sincerely,

Ben and Colleen Parsons

August 12, 2010 at 5:17 pm |
  9. molly

Hi Ali,
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. You just commented about the low interest rates individuals make on their bank accounts. There are banks that are offering over 3% interest. Please say something about that. Thanks.

August 12, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  10. Inverness

Hello Ali Velshi,

I watch your daily 2 hour news segment at 1:00 p.m. on CNN all the time. Wanted to comment on your topic from Monday, August 2nd regarding the salaries/pay of Blacks vs. Whites.

My comment is a derivative of that topic: There should be a news investigation about Private Industry hiring Blacks during this ecomonic recovery. I believe that Blacks are being left out.

I believe that in particular among Porfessional higher paying "White Collar" jobs there is a huge discrepancy among Whites being hired vs. minorities, in particular Blacks.

There are many highly skilled Black professonals that were displaced during the downturn (including myself) yet unable to land a professional job. They say that companies are hiring, but not Blacks

My job was eliminated due the downturn in the Spring of 2009 in the Automotive industry in Michigan. Over the 14 months since my job loss, I have had a few or more interviews, and each time it appears that the interview went well for the job; also, I might be one of the finalist in the selection process, yet never get the job.

I think Blacks are being passed over for several reasons, none of those reasons good. One of the reasons may be some kind of retribution.

Bottom line, I think CNN should investigation Private Industry hirng practices, to see if they are meeting EEOC requirements. Perhaps CNN should send a mystery applicant in for an interview, like they do for exposing housing descrimination. I also suspect that some Recruiting Agencies are involved as well.

Mr. Ali Velshi you would be the best Reporter to break this story, would like your feedback, thanks.

August 12, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
  11. Dave Shirlaw

Question for Q and A

When the auto industry ran into trouble, Ali used to show lots of pictures of acres and acres of unsold vehicles. What becomes of unsold vehicles?

August 12, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  12. Steve

If in England a cookie is a biscuit,them what is a biscuit called? What is the main ingredient in Bubble and Squeak? Are any animals harmed in the preperation of Toad In A Hole?

August 12, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  13. Smithy Hewwit

Why is British humor so much better than American Humor?

August 12, 2010 at 6:25 pm |
  14. karen

Hi Ali, I have to ask you this question for this reason..every time I turn on CNN there is always a story about about the "Poor Illegal" and how bad they are treated by America. So, this is my question and I hope you answer it honestly, If you were president what would you do about illegal Immigration????

August 12, 2010 at 6:29 pm |
  15. BroDave

Lame. This "show" is a lame idea.

Oh. A question: Is this the lamest show ever on CNN?

August 12, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  16. BroDave

Seriously. Has CNN dropped to new lows with this waste of time?

August 12, 2010 at 6:33 pm |
  17. Tom Fields

Could you please consider alternative energy as a topic? Which alternative energy currently produces the most electricity. Which is the cheapest? Which is the cleanest? Which is the most viable in terms of the electric grid? Which is the most sustainable? etc. If you need some fact sheets, there are quite a few available here. http://www.inl.gov/research

August 12, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  18. skyers

Why do you keep bugging the president about everything? I mean you talk about him every single day. I want to be a lawyer and become the president when I grow up. Will you be bugging me every single day?

August 12, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  19. Carol

Given that the economies of the world are now inextricably intertwined, why are some of , say the G20 economies, doing much better during the Great Recession than others?

August 12, 2010 at 6:37 pm |
  20. Lynne Jones

Mr. Quest, this is actually a two-part question. Has there been a time (from the American Revolution onward) when members of congress have tried to obstruct as many pieces of legislation and presidential appointments as republicans have in the 111th Congress and do you believe republicans have tried to do so because the United States has a black president?

August 12, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  21. Chuck Harper

Good day Ali,

My question involves the credit reporting agencies. Can a person influence their credit score by contacting the agencies with information they don't have such as a persons liquid worth?

As an example, your credit score is just at medium and they know you owe $100,000. total debt. However, you own $500,000. in real estate totally paid for, no mortgage, no leans.

You obviously believe you deserve a higher score, any thing you can do?

Chuck Harper

August 12, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  22. Snowman5

I just wanted you to know that Mr Quest was right! There is no wheat in mayonnaise, there is wheat in cooked salad dressing that some use in exchange of real mayonnaise.

August 12, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  23. Lynne Jones

Mr. Quest, here's a follow up to my last question. Has there ever been a president who has accomplished as much for the benefit of the middle class as President Obama has in 200 days.

August 12, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  24. rodolfo trevino

MR QUEST I ASKED A QUESTION YOU SAID NOTHING TO BAD BUT I GUESS MINE IS THANK YOU ANYWAY

August 12, 2010 at 8:50 pm |
  25. rodolfo trevino

mr quest is there going to be workers comp reform

August 13, 2010 at 12:41 am |
  26. Mark Anthony

During this RECESSION

I have made MILLIONS for others running their companies in the security world. I did this with only a high school diploma
    Now I am attempting to make millions for myself during this recession.
    The reason why I know some much on how to protect a home or business is because as a youth in Miami, all of my friends keep going in and out of JAIL for stealing vehicles and breaking & entering.
    So I took all of that information and turned it into a business, the video attached is one I had made shows how a person can protect any mobile vehicle in conjunction with their home or business security system.
    A Vehicle is stolen every 28 seconds in the US, and 68 million people in the US has a security system monitored
    I invented TheAutoContact, and it is made in the United States. It cost me more but I want growth in the US work force.
    I have an NFL Star that is involved with my company now, and a business mogul. I met them while working on their alarm system.
    My product stands out so much they became investors. There is no other product in the world that does what TheAutoContact can do.
    We were told by (ADI) Honeywell Int. that they wanted to distribute TheAutoContact even before one was made; they signed me up just by seeing a prototype. We are sold nationally by Honeywell
    Thank you for your time.
    Mark Anthony
    305-788-2525
    http://www.TheAutoContact.com is our web-site.

August 13, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  27. Jan

PLEASE!!! Explain the true written purpose of the 14th amendment. I do not hear that being explained on any news cast. I was written so that slaves could become citizens NOT people who want to come here and take advantage of our country. PLEASE let people know that our forefathers wrote number 14 to help the slaves, NOT THE IMIGARENTS!! If the Mexicans coming here to have babies are using the 14th to gain citizenship, then where's my slave? I need someone to help cut grass, work my garden, help cook, clean, ect. So why is the media not explaining this to all of us and more importantly, why does the WHITE HOUSE not understand the meaning of the words in the 14th?

August 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  28. dave

“Birds of a feather flock together.” “The person we are most likely to marry is someone we have a lot in common.”
    It is a sad human condition where we do not like people who are not like ourselves. People who speak differently than us – we do not like them. This hate also occurs between people who are different races and religions, as well.
    I feel this human condition for people to not like those who are different; will make the Afghanistan War difficult to win. Imagine if we had soldiers patrolling our streets who did not look like or spoke the same language as Americans.
    Look at our own country, different groups of people have a major conflict difficult to solve (i.e. immigration problem, gay marriages.) Could it be the different languages, religions, race and who to marry is causing this problem to worsen? (We Americans even hate people who are not a member of our own political party as well.)
    Until we find a way for humans to move away this tendency to not like those who are not like ourselves; we will continue these insane wars and conflicts where no one wins.
    Do you feel this has an element of truth in this concept?

August 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
  29. Martina

With so much talk about financial debt,

how is the bill that the President signed on immigration funded?

August 13, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  30. Helen Weaver

My question is about Medicare. Made me mad as H- when I heard about it. Why will Medicare pay for a 80 year old man,when he is probably at deaths door step now pay for a penile implant and a 65 year old woman needs a mastectomy,and probably could live a good number of years yet with it be denied by medicare.
    THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE FROM MEDICARE?

August 13, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
  31. Helen Weaver

Ali, don't let people lie (BRODAVE) get to you...he is like most of the people of this world,no concept!
    Keep up the good work. Iwatch CNN ALL DAY!!!! ALL of the media reports and reporters are GREAT!!!

August 13, 2010 at 6:41 pm |
  32. Proud Parents

I heard Ali talk about Panama beach city florida , my daughter will meet President Obama tomorrow . It would be nice if she had her picture taken with him . We're proud of her , she voluteers weekly to help others .

August 13, 2010 at 6:58 pm |
  33. paul dzielak

I have just listened to an accountant by the name of Bill Spetrino. He states that there is tax-free money that anyone can get from seven states. Mr. Spetrino states that these states are constitutionally mandated to give this tax-free money to anyone. I am quite skeptical of his claims. My question( to convince those I know who think this is real) is what is the catch? What really is goung on here? This is not as good as it seems. Thank you

August 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm |
  34. IV

How do we leave our questions for Q&A?

August 15, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
  35. Nick McMitchim

Mr. Quest,

Will The Hague ever get around to prosecuting the Bush Administration for War Crimes against the People of Iraq? I read that the Obama Administration has no plans to pursue their injustices.

I am an American who has always supported and sacrificed for my Country. However, why should I continue to my patriotism when leaders in America commit such atrocities with impunity under the guise of a "threat to our national security"? If anyone is a threat to our love for liberty and freedom it is our own elected/appointed politicians.

These looming deflationary times and impending depression is a threat to our "national security." Weak border control is a threat. An uneducated populace is a threat. And even consumer vanity is a threat not a policy of preemptive measures against ostensibly threatening and poorly dressed dictator.

Eric Holder, our AG, called us all cowards at the beginning of Barry Obama’s term for America's attempts to resolve racism in our country. Maybe he should look in the mirror first before making such ignorant accusations. The only cowards out there are our elected/appointed officials who violate their oaths to defend the principles and values instilled in our Constitution. They are self-serving and pathetic.

So, my question to you is do you believe the International Community will come to rescue we Americans from ourselves? We have come to so many other nations in their time of desperate need to thwart of evil. When will we get such help?

August 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  36. Jamie Wright

IFRS – International Financial Reporting Standards
    These new rules have and are currently being adopted by many countries as a way of making business easier across borders for corporations. This development has come in under the radar as scarcely anyone has discussed the costs and benefits. The rules look to be stripped down, simpler and less comprehensive but will dodgy companies now be able to make themselves look better to investers than they actually are. How can investors protect themselves in this new environment as it is more than hard enough now?

Jamie Wright
    Alberta, Canada

August 15, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  37. ancelme

When I went to school in England in the mid thiries, money was good to light up the wick in our classroom magic lantern. I still feel ;like I am gfoing to see a return to those days.That is after the money system imploodes and we will be hunting for wood scraps to keep our fireplaces going in winter.

September 15, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  38. charles person

I believe that many of the corporations that had record profits are not
    hiring because they are waiting for the mid-term elections. This delay
    is contrary to most of us business owners and is hurting our economy
    and our recovery.