August 19th, 2010
01:47 PM GMT

You’ve probably heard the screams “The Double-Dip is coming!” Sound like a great dessert? Maybe some soft ice-cream dipped once in chocolate and once in caramel? Yum! Or maybe nachos dipped once in sour cream and once in guacamole?

Unfortunately, we’re talking about a “double-dip” recession – something many economists and doom-sayers say we are headed straight for. Are we? And if we are, what, if anything, can you do to protect yourself? Richard Quest and I will duke it out for the best answer today on Q&A. 2:00pm ET / 1800 GMT on CNN.

Filed under: Q&AQuest Means Business

1. Martins idachaba

Economic Depressions are sometimes brought by wrong predictions! It's better one's name never appears on the tablet of history than to appear on the wrong side of such.

August 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  2. Michael Harper

I hope this is the ask a question section it does not seem well marked out on the web site and this question is important to me. Yes I'm internet challenged.
    Question: The government is soon to announce that automakers must meet fleet average of 60 mpg by 2025. If our government would adapt the same diesel emissions as Europe, Our automakers would have instant access to a fleet of diesels engines they already produce for europe. These engines get 20 to 30% better fuel economy than gas engines. This would cut our dependance on foreign oil dramatically and at little or no cost to the automakers because the R&D is paid for and is available now. Of course their is the argument diesels pollute more per gallon but, That could be offset because we would use less gallons. Something often forgot. Should the U.S. adopt Europe's emission diesel standards?

August 19, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  3. Seruserry

Hi Richard,

Well u have chosen good topic to get the feedback of the viewers. The double dip will not happen, because we are seeing the inflation in the economy since the zero rates are still in force in USA. Moreover in the Euro Zone, Germany has taken the leadership and its exports are rising. Even the emerging markets stocks are rising and probably we will end the year higher compared to 2009. So taking into conisderation all these aspects, the double dip recession will not happen. But we can expect the world economy to boom only in the year 2013 , since US will be celebrating the 100 years since the birth of FED. So guys let's wait for the party till then sit on cash.

August 19, 2010 at 6:34 pm |
  4. Donald J. Glidden Jr.

The "double dip" recession/ a.k.a. "STALLING".
    "Most sincerely",
    DONNIE Salem Mass.
    EST. 1626

August 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  5. Donald J. Glidden Jr.

August 24, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  6. David McElligott

Tony:

On 8-23-10 you ran a feature story about property sales being low priced in Florida. I missed part of it, can you tell me the area that was from in Florida. Thanks

August 25, 2010 at 12:55 am |
  7. Paula

I have been a victim of the economy, and after being homeless nearly a year, I have dusted myself and I'm back to work.
    However, the IRS has come after me with a vengance. I am BARELY above water and they have seized my bank account. I lost my car. I try to talk to them, but they are IMPOSSIBLE!!!
    If they garnish me, I won't be able to keep up my rent. The tax problems involve a former spouse, but they make NO EFFORT to collect the taxes from the men.
    Is there ANY watchdog organization that can help me? I have not had much luck with the attorneys on the phone book, and the people who advertise on TV aren't much better.
    I need someone to really LOOK at my situation. NOT a drone on the phone who makes NO effort to explain why the IRS has disallowed my returns. also prepared by "experienced" tax professionals. I'm 54, I'm starting completely over. Winter is coming and I live in an area with no public transportation.
    If there is help for multinational corporations, someone can help me! I'm truly desperate!! PLEASE HELP ME!!

August 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  8. Lyneta Miller

My response is to the school system, I rememer when my children were in elmentary school I volunteered in both of my children's classroom. I was attending college and on the two days I was not in class I was a volunteer parent. I joined the PTA in Chicago and we had great support of the parents at the school. We had women as well as men helping in the classroom. It had a great impact on the chldren. If parents are not able to volunteer in the classroom, then they can help monitor the playgrouond, the luchroom and the hallways. I just think right now while unemployed parents can use this time wisely. By using their time one or two days a week in school, this will show the children that their parents do care and are willing to do their part to help in this crucial time of need in the schools. I am one of those parents that volunteered in the Chicago School s as well as in Thornton, Colorado while my children were in Elementary school. I support the schools, I just think we as parents need to show our support if we are not employed at this time. I think it will go a long way to show your child and other children that we are willing to help whenever possible.

Thanks
    Lynetta

August 25, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
  9. t ensley

what will happen if republicans take over the house
    I mean people on diability didn't get a dime for the cost of living
    increase through the stimulus but so many frivilous projects
    meant more to the people who was responsible for distribution
    of that money like the brige to no where..I mean do Obama
    hv any idea the conditions people on disability live in.
    and they couldn't get at least a 100dollars ..when america
    spends so much money on foreign govtments how much do
    " Ireal" get every year well isn't"that american tax payors money" and you tell me Ali why that isn't questioned..

August 25, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  10. c woodsford

I would like more inforation on the device that was showen by Kenny Wallace was showing and where it could be brought?.

August 25, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  11. Richard

Hi
    I search more info on the fuel saver on the web and its very difficult to find who distribute it and sales it in USA and Canada

Can you send me the links please
    Richard

August 25, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  12. Bob

Where can I fine out about the gas saver. I looked on cnn.com/ail
    I would like informates on it.

August 25, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  13. William Oliver

What is the web site for the liberator?

August 25, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  14. Jeff

Was the Liberator fuel saver ever tested by CNN? Or was there an independent test organization that you can point to which backs up the claims of better mpg? A lot of info on the internet points to similar gas savers as scams. How was CNN convinced of the validity of this product?

August 26, 2010 at 1:07 am |
  15. ecosavvy

H.M International was established in the early 2003 as a manufacturing, trading and marketing company based in Malaysia. With great products call Fuel Savers, Laundry Ball & Power Savers.

October 9, 2010 at 7:01 am |