August 23rd, 2010
03:28 PM GMT
Cruise
Cruise

All week Quest Means Business is looking at the time you spend away from work. All around the world we get different amounts of holiday: In Finland it’s 40 including national holidays, whereas in the U.S. there’s no federal law mandating companies pay employees for time off.

Given that large span, we’d like to know hear about your holidays. How many vacation days do you get? Does your company give you more days off the longer you’ve been with the company? Did the amount of vacation play a factor in choosing your current job?

In a world of smart phones, WiFi and fax machines almost any holiday spot in the world can turn into makeshift office. When you’re away from work do you stay connected to the office? Does your holiday sometimes turn into a work vacation? Does that hurt your vacation or help you from being overwhelmed when you return to the office?

Many companies offer discount travel packages to their employees. Do you and your family take advantage of package holidays? Or with the great recession has the staycation become a new, more affordable way to relax.

Leave your comments here (look below) or come on our air by sending in iReports of your favorite get-away spots

And enjoy your stay!

Filed under: BusinessQuest Means Business

1. waleed shaalan

With such a short holiday every year and so much stress built up, the holiday can be just as stressful as we have to relax, sight see, have fun and cram everything we didn't have time to do all year in these poor two weeks. So if anything goes wrong we stress out more cause its those two precious weeks.. I decided to make my entire year a holiday except for those 8 hours a day I work..so I make my commute to work a thrill by riding my motorcycle, I squeeze a swim or a walk.. And focus on making my work my passion, cause if it is just a career its ok and if only a job it will suck.. My life is one big vacation..its a state of mind otherwise I will go crazy racing rats and rat racing all year long..

August 23, 2010 at 8:20 pm |
  2. Claire

the employee contract does gurantee the company paying employees for time off, like 10 days or 12 days per year besides the legal vocations. however, few people would choose the time off while their bosses still work at the offices.under such circumstance, the employees have to follow their bosses' examples with the so called payed time off standing there like a girl of a boy out of their league, attractive but hard to get, really hard, too hard, unbelievablely hard.

August 24, 2010 at 4:12 am |
  3. Derryck S Griffith

August 24-2010:

Should You Work On Your Holidays?

This question was asked by Richard Quest (Anchor), at CNN.com "Quest Means Business" show.

So here are some of my views on this issue/question.

In today's global economic climate, it may be prudent or even vitally neccessary to do so, for the following reasons.

* Un-emoployment rules out any possibility of a vacation.

* Those of us who still have permanent employment, may be experiencing some fear of shorter working hours, a cut in wages, or even dismissal.

* Reduced working hours or slashed wages rule out any possibility for a vaction or holiday plans for most of us.

* And finally, if you are able to get work/employment, saving some money for a Rainy Day, may be a priority for most of us.

And spending less on non-essentials is also being contemplated by many employed people, because of the economic un-certainties overall.

Derryck.
    NYC.

August 24, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  4. meghan shanbhag

Vacation for my husband means working with your family around you....that is how the world is today...you have to be connected!

August 24, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  5. Masiya

I agree with what many of the CEOs said (possibly because I am an entrepreneur I guess) work is fun for me... I travel across Africa supervising software projects for governments and large organisations... so work for me is flying around, staying in expensive hotels, chatting with a lot of interesting and diverse people. I go on holiday so that I can spend time with my family and generally no one minds if I check emails once or twice a day. A few times a year I travel to work with my family and we make a holiday out a weekend or a few days in the week.... so the boundary between work and play is a bit blurred for me!

August 24, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  6. TK

I'm an American who has been living in Germany for the last four years. In Germany, I get twenty-six vacation days, not counting bank holidays or sick days. Having these extra days has allowed me to explore my world and learn more about the different places, cultures, and people thus making me a more well rounded and worldly person. Having these experiences has benefited both my personal and professional life. This was not possible living in the US with only ten days – a whirlwind tour anywhere outside of the country was, unfortunately, all that was possible. When I'm at work, I work. When I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation. If I'm needed urgently, I'm available. The time away from the office allows me to clear my thoughts and regain balance in my life. This, in turn, increases my well-being, productivity, and creativity in my work.
    Your guest from Netflix had a novel and wonderful approach to vacation – that being, as long as all your work is done, you can go on vacation as you like. This, of course, only works if there is ever a break in the work.
    The CEOs you spoke with seemed to agree that doing some work-related activity while on vacation is a good idea; They should! After all, they're CEOs! Being CEO is more than a job. Saying that a typical employee should be doing work on vacation is something I disagree with, that is, unless the employee has the desire to. Working on vacation should be seldom; otherwise, it will become common place, the status quo, and to be expected! Sooner or later, we'll be told that work is vacation!

August 24, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  7. mark

i m from brasil i lives americana i m shareholder petrobras today i works too rodonaves transp truck i but i think this business dont lost mr richard every great

August 25, 2010 at 9:02 pm |
  8. IGGY

I am a Project Manager for a global company and my office is in the USA. After 6 years with my current employer, I get 15 days vacation and about 10 holidays. My project teams have people and resources across the world. I truely realize that even though I may be on vacation, certainly others are not. My vacations are within the mainland 48 states of the USA. My vacations are usually one week max. I take a few 3 or 4 day weekend vacations. I do bring my lap-top and cell-phone when I go on vacation. I'll check my e-mail and voice-mail in the morning or at the end of the day while on vacation. I also put in more than the desired 40 hour work week.

I realize the Western Europeans have more vacations and holidays. I realize the Western Europeans have less hours of work. I realize that Western Europeans tend to disconnect from the office when they go on vacation or holiday. That may be great for their personal well-being, but it is horrible for their project team members and customers who are counting on them.

August 27, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  9. Pumpkin Cao

I am a teacher teaching English in China. I guess the reason for me to choose to become a teacher is that I enjoy 2 months' summer vacation and one month winter vacation. Coz we have no PTO here.

September 6, 2010 at 7:38 am |