August 25th, 2010
11:05 AM GMT

Running your own company is hard work. So is running a family. So many parents try to juggle both, struggling to manage their careers and ensure their children are happy.

As a working mother, I have huge respect for anyone trying to manage the demands of work and family: Trying to achieve a "balance" between both aspects of your life is always hard.

Every working parent figures out by trial and error what works for them.

If you have your own business, it’s easier, in a way, to juggle the demands of school pickups and sick kids. That is according to one working mom, Kirsten Goss, who runs a jewellery design business from her hometown of Durban.

She has a shop in Kensington, London selling her beautiful pieces of jewellery, which are all made in her studio in Durban. Besides sourcing stones, designing necklaces and earrings, managing staff and travelling to London once a month, Kirsten also cares for her two young children.

So what are her tips for a happier working parent?

Location helps. We spent some time recently profiling Kirsten Goss for a story on Marketplace Africa and there is no doubt that a smaller town like the port city of Durban, with its warmer weather and simple outdoor lifestyle, helps.

She says she would not be able to manage her crazy juggling act between work and parenthood in a busy, urban, expensive town like London.

Having an understanding spouse also helps, she says.

You also need a capacity to be in two places at the same time - a superhuman ability that every mommy know all too well!

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. C. Marteney

My wife is a working mom, Now from home with our new business. http://www.thehoperope.com which we sell a symbol of hope in the form of a rope with a knot at the end. It clips to almost anything and reminds us to never give up when times are tough. It also finances the website that will be used to connect people all over the world that are going through similar situations such as divorce, financial struggles, medical struggles and much more. She is doing this while raising three kids ages 16, 14, and 3.....Talk about a SuperWoman. AND she only has 1 hand, due to a defect when she was born....i love her and you should check out her business. It can and will help millions, by People Helping People!

August 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
  2. kii

I enjoy this story,because it gives me inspiration and hope.I have something I am writing about women.So to know that a woman can do business in this way in Africa is wonderfull.
    I am hoping run my own international business and NGO ,so,I need inspiration likes. please tell Goss to inspire other African women to try some thing.

August 29, 2010 at 7:41 am |
  3. ruth

balancing home and my career is sucidal!

August 31, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
  4. Join Scentsy UK Sell Scentsy UK Become a Scentsy Consultant Canada Sell Scentsy from Home Sell Scentsy Candles Online Sell Candle from Home Sell Candles Make Money Start a Candle Business Online Work from Home Legitimate Work from Home Business Opportunit

I landed on this site by mistake, but had to read this post! I'll be back! Thanks!

April 6, 2012 at 7:34 am |
  5. ormari

You actually make it seem really easy along with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually one thing which I believe I would by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely vast for me. I'm taking a look forward on your subsequent submit, I will attempt to get the grasp of it!

June 7, 2012 at 10:06 am |
  6. Shocking Top Money Secrets..WoW... go here now.

Somebody essentially help to make critically articles I would state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and to this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual put up extraordinary. Magnificent activity!

June 17, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
  7. Make Money Online In Malaysia

You actually make it appear really easy along with your presentation however I find this matter to be actually something which I believe I might never understand. It kind of feels too complex and extremely large for me. I'm having a look ahead in your next put up, I will attempt to get the cling of it!

July 12, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  8. volunteer jobs in kenya 2012

Hello, Neat post. There's an issue with your website in web explorer, could check this? IE still is the market leader and a huge part of people will miss your great writing because of this problem.

September 5, 2012 at 2:09 pm |