September 1st, 2010
03:39 PM GMT
You can read and organize email from just about anywhere these days.
You can read and organize email from just about anywhere these days.

Gmail has announced a system for organizing email by importance, not by the order in which it arrived.

Ever since e-mail first came along, we've been beset by the tyranny of the digital: how to handle the vast and growing number of e-mails that pour in everyday.

Some, like Quest Means Business producer Gayle, use complicated colors, stars on prioritizing lists. They use labels to sort out their e-mails and then they load them into different folders to keep track of them.

Other people spend hours sifting through the barrage, hunched over their computers like battery chickens.

Then there are those of you who use the ignore method, you know, if it's that important, it will come back again.

Now, I don't have a system. I just look at the e-mails. I answer some. I ignore others. And I forward loads to my colleagues. It's called the Richard Quest passing the buck method. It works, a treat!

So will you use Gmail's new system? Another system? Or no system at all? Let me know in the comments section below.

Whatever you're up to in the hours ahead, I hope it's profitable.

- Richard Quest

1. Marhabarussia

I support Richard and do the same: maybe I am old fashioned ! I just look at emails, answer or ignore; no matter how many is in my box ! If I start using any complicated system, I get lost !

September 1, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
  2. Chris and Anja Moudy

When blowing hundreds on a Ipod ,Blackberry or Android , then ? cents per minute to organize email How is that PROFFITABLE ? + How do you checkEmails what might have been important if you never got it ?

September 1, 2010 at 5:08 pm |
  3. Ladislav Pongracz

I think it is a good idea to organize emails by importance, especially for people receiving loads of emails. My opinion is that it could work but it needs time to "teach" it which emails are important and which not.
    I like your method :))

September 1, 2010 at 7:32 pm |
  4. www.twitter.com/hlmelsaid

I use the system for organizing e-mail by the date,to check the e-mail according its date.

September 1, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  5. elevenses9s11s

yes, it is helpful method Richard and i will start to use it. since i didn't have any connection as well as a budget to do so i'll try to save money to be able to have a mobile system.

wish you good luck & regards.

September 1, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  6. ana petrov

No system at all...joke ...I support Sir Richard´s method and I use the same. I don´t have a necessity to change that..

September 2, 2010 at 4:39 am |
  7. Logonda Emmanuel

The problem comes when determining the importance of the mails. For example is your wife's mails more important that your mother or your kids? or your suppliers more important than your distributors. I think the "importance" needs to be specified.

September 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  8. Marcellus

Logonda is right: defining priority can be more difficult then it looks at first sight.

Due to the fact that I subscribed to many websites (mostly to download whitepapers), I get lots of email. However, I manage to deal with it very easy.

Use different email addresses:

1) Gmail 1 for friends
    2) Gmail 2 for non essential business news, whitepapers, etc.
    3) Hotmail for unspecified or maybe less reliable stuff and junkmail
    4) Business email for serious matters

I look at email as management by exception: only what needs my attention will be answered / replied. All the rest: I see it, ignore it, don't even bother to throw it away.

September 2, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  9. Kieran

Auto sort -
    If my name on the To: line – >>> folder 1; read; answer if necessary.
    If my name on the Cc: line – >>> folder 2; read when time available.
    Slainte!

September 2, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  10. dave rumbelow

Hi, I use Hotmail, windows mail (vista) and gmail for business- facebook for friends.
    I also use my cell phone for last minute business, check my email 3 times a week as I have 10 hour days on the road on tour, so email after 10 hours with 6 tourists in a minibus is the last thing on my mind
    Dave

September 8, 2010 at 7:25 pm |
  11. Asoka Dissanayake

Well email has become a necessary evil but with a big but.
    We managed to to gather the emails of the entire batch after 6 months of search (who are spread all over the world) for our 40 year anniversary.

By then few had said good bye and few said good bye afterwords.
    Beauty was that few had changed so much physically that we found it even difficult to recognize at first glance.

I do lot of search on Linux (we are a community who help each other ) and lot of guys relatively unknown had been very very helpful.
    Apart from that 99% have bad email practices in Sri-Lanka.

We never get a email from our President after the the elections.
    I believe now he is glob trotting.

If we get a email before his departure and that way and that day we can decide not to travel by air and have a holiday.

When he is away we stop working and we have to wait till returns to wake up from slumber.

September 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  12. Jae

1) Nickname ID Gmail: use it for commonly visited websites that require your email log in such as Gilt.com, iDeeli.com, RueLala.com, Amazon.com, ebay.com, and other shopping websites
    2) My name ID Gmail: friends, colleagues, contacts, group emails
    3) Business Email: colleagues
    3) Hotmail: MSN log in use only. I don't even check emails anymore. I just select all and delete.

September 26, 2010 at 10:33 pm |