September 2nd, 2010
02:08 PM GMT
For sale and foreclosure signs in California
For sale and foreclosure signs in California

Is your home a shelter, a roof over your head? Or is your home the biggest investment you'll ever make? Can it be both? In uncertain economic times, property has traditionally been thought of as a hedge against other, more liquid types of investments. In good economic times, property has traditionally appreciated. Today, however, is unlike the past. So how does property fit into your life right now? Richard and Ali battle it out to answer this question at 1800GMT.

Filed under: Q&AQuest Means Business

1. Phillo masamba

Tiz trouble.

September 2, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  2. Connie McLauchlin

You guys are still missing the point, where are the males teachers. The female teachers are doing a great job, but I know male students and most of them have little or no respect for female teachers. We must control the classroom and make it exciting.

The economy has taken the parent out of the classroom, it may not be a good excuse but it is one I see to often. So as a private school teacher I have taken the place of the parents, with their blessing.

September 2, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  3. sunmonu kola

It is a long term investment. Property serves two purposes (1) as a shelter (2) as an investment. It is the most realible investment compare with others investments. It has a reliable securities and its returns is also reliable.

September 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  4. jane nyaga

it could be since i live at the edge of a forest.if only kenya improves its tourism.

September 2, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  5. akin

My home is a good investment to me

September 2, 2010 at 9:15 pm |
  6. Jcee

it can be both,&i personal believe in our modern socio-economic time its wise makin one home a roof over ones head&an investment.

September 3, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  7. Raymond Frye

There are 7 to 8 classes every day in middle and high school, Would it not be a better idea to keep the childs attention while you have it and For Example: Let's just say english class, on Monday starting at 8:00am and not letting out until 1:00pm then taking Phys. Ed. and the same type of setup for all classes, so that there are no students rushed from class to class with never enough time to work through troubled issues. all the work could be done in class with the teacher there to answer questions, then if they do have homework they understand what they are doing and only then we could actually achieve no child left behind, This method would also, much easier show a students strong points and week points. Then through High School the school system could much better know what career area each child would excell in. I think the 45 minute class is ridiculous, The student needs time to ask questions, and get them answered, and this is where most students are getting left behind.
    If you want to know more about the details of this idea let me know, because I polled 5000 students and this was the answer of 98% of them: Before we can understand what is being taught the class is over, so we do not have time to answer questions and get them answered in a way I / we can understand.

September 3, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  8. Dennis

What makes me angry at work? When I have asked several time for a promotion or what I have to do for a promotion and my manager tells me that if I keep asking for a promotion, that it could backfire and I will never get one. That was 4 years ago. I still get better that average bonuses and decent raises whenever they give them out, but I do not think I should be threatened and punished for asking for a promotion.

September 3, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  9. David

I'm interested in the recently aired section "Hot Bread Kitchen" with Master Baker Jessica Weldman.
    If you can forward my email to her I'd like to see how long and how much she would ask to take her baking course.
    I'm a dude but I like to cook. Email address is as follows sk1searcy@yahoo.com

September 3, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  10. John Kehinde

A good house is a bi-functional property, i.e it serves as shelter and also serves as a security object.

September 3, 2010 at 8:33 pm |
  11. David Molinero

More Black Teachers?

How about more Qualified Teachers regardless of Race who knows what they are talking about.

How about Less Washington in our schools, and more Local Control over our schools.

How about getting rid of violent kids from our schools.

With record amounts being spent on Education, why are our schools hitting record lows?

September 6, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  12. eg

I am an educator and I want to teach in the state where they only have school for 8 months. Most schools that I know start either in mid August and end in mid June. However, most educators are back to work on their time, without pay, as early as the last week of July. Most of our summers is spent on getting ready for the upcoming year- buying school items, attending trainings, workshops … We also spend holidays grading paper, planning activities for the next holiday and at school getting things ready for when the students get back. As "Educators”, we are on call all year around. School does not end when the students go home and we do not arrive with the students. Many educators donate 4-6 hours weekly of their time without compensation by coming in early in the morning and staying after school. Educators also keep students after school to work with and help the students that did not understand the lesson. As for income, most teachers need to work part-time and during the summer because their income does not meet the needs of supporting a family of three or four. We also spend out of pocket a lot more than the $250 tax break. I could not believe that your speaker talked about only working for 8 months and how great the pay was. Talk to the children of educators and they will tell you how much time their educator parent spends at school.

September 6, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  13. Ravi

Some ideas that can help build good schools:
    1. Money is not a pill that will solve our school issues..people will...we will working and collaborating together.
    Many schools around the world where there is no money to speak off but have dedicated teachers and who inspire students...ck this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5345100.stm or http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/85749/real-heroes-meet-indias-youngest-school-principal.html

Get to know your neighbor...we hardly know our neighbors, teachers hardly know a whole lot about their students besides the bare minimum, students do not know each other..etc. example. when I graduated form 12th grade at a government public school in New Delhi with 72 kids in the science program, our chemistry teacher made personal visit to our homes to ensure we were doing ok, he knew our parents and vise versa ...and guess what we paid Rupees 1 per month for school..it was his and other teachers like him whose dedication and the dedication of our elders in the community that we succeeded.

It takes a village...is so true..but we have a society today that is so hands off with each other that I worry. Example, if one were to discipline a student today..parents or others might sue...we have to look in the mirror to see where it is taking us. We have to as a nation take interest in our kids.

This idea of raising fund for school in the richest country nation is amazing...instead of spending valuable resources on fund raising we need to focus on the academics for our kids...and get their mind off raising money for one thing or another.

Stop glorifying our football and sport players at the expense of our scholars at schools and universities. When was the last time you saw signs and banners on a school campus showing off we have 90% success in Math, Science, or our students make it to Engineering or Science or Art institutes, or our students volunteered to make a difference in the world...etc...something tells me that there is so much money in the sports business that this is not going to change anytime soon. Many parents live the life of keeping up with the jones and we are passing along the same to our kids.

When will the time return when it is ok for our young and old to do their own jobs and not outsource everything ..be is house cleaning ironing, taking care of your kids, cooking, teaching, playing etc...when I went to three universities in the USA in the last 20 plus years many local kids did not want to take on jobs like dishwashing, cleaning etc as it was below them...well unless this mindset changes, we cannot improve. Labor is dignity.

8.We have to get off this band wagon of get-rich mindset...it takes time to grow and become good at things...
    We need to put the focus back to our kids, family, and future of this great nation that involves everyone of diverse background where we get off the mindset of the fact that world belongs to us as oppose to we belong and are part of this wonderful world.

Parents & family are the first teachers and with many home with single parents, or no parents or parents who are not involved..any change will be incremental.

Employers have to take an interest in the nations future also by being flexible in terms of kids care, day care facility, etc.

12. Finally, with our history of accomplishments, we can make it but it will not happen just because we wish for it and have some fancy TV programs and ads etc..we have to get our hands dirty to make a difference.

September 7, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
  14. Ravi

On the issue of whether President Obama is a Muslim or not? Well the last time, I checked the constitution of the USA, it does not say that Muslim cannot be the president!!!

September 7, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  15. Dr Dick Nelson

Hello, & good day Mr. Ali Velshi, as i tune in & enjoy your show daily, & hit myself silly when i miss it, I've been impress & educated on your great style of dress, (shirts & ties) but iam far more inquisitive on your selection / & recommendations on mens dress shoes/socks attire.
    thx for the light hearted side of the news!
    keep us updated!
    CHEERS!
    Doc in – Michigan

September 7, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
  16. Jim Grina

In the Great Depression, it took over 10 years to recover, jobless rates were over 20%, the precipitating event was was an uncontrolled bank lending to uncontrolled investors in the uncontrolled stock market. In the Great Recession of 2008, we have a jobless rate of about 10%, we might recover in 6 or 7 years, and the precipitating event was uncontrolled investment in uncontrolled derivatives of uncontrolled mortgages made by uncontrolled mortgage lenders and processed by uncontrolled financial institutions. Efforts to mitigate the depression were feeble under President Hoover(R), then President Roosevelt(D) used deficit spending in an attempt to prop up the economy. He was partially successful, but foreign spending at the beginning of WWII finally returned the USA to prosperity.

In the Great Recession, President Bush(R) also tried to prop up the economy using deficit spending, with limited success. Then President Obama(D) used more deficit spending to continue improving the economy. Indicators point to a further improvement next year, but no indication that we will return to a "normal" economy in the foreseeable future.

In the light of this, do you think that continuing deficit spending will lead to an accelerated recovery, and/or should we eliminate the Bush tax cuts to reduce the deficit? Is this the best way to attack the deficit, or is there a more effective way? The wealth of Europe was used to end the depression, but I don't think that will happen again.

September 8, 2010 at 5:50 am |
  17. Andrew Mayer

Based on statements by General Petraeus and President Obama, burning the Coran would put US soldiers in harms way, and act as a recruiting aid for terrorists.
    We have laws in this country against inciting violence. So, If in fact any of these things come true, and US forces, or any people die as a result of burning Corans, then Rev. Terry Jones could/should be considered an accessory to murder.

September 9, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  18. Bill

If the church in Florida burns the Koran and attacks happen worldwide, could that minister be held for murder? Cause it was his actions which caused the reactions from the Muslims.

September 9, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  19. Drake

Let's assume for a moment that some of your relatives murdered 3000+ of MINE. Then let's assume that YOU want to locate YOUR family just down the street from the killing grounds. The President says that it's YOUR "right" under the Constitution. The Secretary of State for the UNITED STATES says it will foster "mutual trust and understanding". The news media says that if your plan is not approved that it will cause some of your more "radical" family members to do "something". My advice is: tread softly.
    As for CNN, this has to be great for ratings/ commercial advertising/ revenues !
    Let's have a few more HUNDRED more hours of coverage from the E-mom !
    P.S. As to your announcers remark that the dumbass preacher in Florida has such a "SMALL' ( see" insignificant) following, as I remember Jesus of Nazareth had ONLY twelve loyal , faithful , followers, the Apostles !
    If the Muslims want to start some crap here, maybe it's time for some cowboys and Muslims.

September 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm |
  20. Frieda

I can't find another way to get a message to the CNN Newsroom: for heaven's sake, stop giving that Florida pastor news time!!!! Don't put his face on TV any more. You can report on the essential news events without giving this darn crackpot a podium!!!!!!!

September 9, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  21. Brenda Biggar

Are we ever going to be honest with ourselves. I was a teacher asistant for five years .The teachers cannot teach for disipline problems in the schools. The parents need to take back the responsibility of rasing there children that they had and let the teachers teach. I challenge you reporters to go into the classrooms where there is not a union also. Teachers need to be heard but that is hard where there is no union. So tired of teachers being blamed. Schools are now used to raise alot of our kids . Teachers are not the parents . I never see you have actual teachers on a show. It would be nice to have a week of teachers from everywhere on a show and there faces or names not have to be used . You need to ask the teachers why they cannot teach. Ask the teachers! Again I challenge you to ask the teachers.

September 12, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  22. Beverly Rademsky

I only heard part of Ali's segment today about the homeless and the new book that is out. I'd like the name of the book, so I can purchase it. Thank you.

September 13, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
  23. Sean Blaides James of ROI-Exchange Corp

Instead of discussing all of these problems, The most essential news event has yet to be covered, America' solution for unemployment and economic recovery.
    ROI-Exchange's national address contains the solution to cure this problem

September 14, 2010 at 3:30 am |
  24. THE VIOXX SETTLEMENT CASE

THE VIOXX SETTLEMENT ANNOUCED IN 2007 CLAIM WILL BE TRANSPARENT BUT WAS NOT BECAUSE BROWN AND GREER WAS ONLY COMMUNICATING WITH LAWYER OF RECORD AND THERE WAS FRAUD IS PERPETRATED ON THE COVER OF CONFIDENTIALY. NO COPY OF THE CLAIM PAID TO THE CLAIMANT AND ALSO REFUSAL TO COMMUNICATE WITH CLAIMANTS. CAN CNN PLEASE GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SETTLEMENT. SO MUCH CLOUD IS BEING PLACE ON THIS ISSUE. WE KNOW YOU ARE THE ONLY MEDIA THAT BRING TRUTH OUT. IF SUCH INFORMATION CAN BE CONCELED TO THE PUBLIC IN THIS WORLD OF INTERNET. THRUTH IN BEING GIVEN IN A SECURED POTARL ONLY THE LAWYER CAN SEE THIS INFORMATIONS. YOUR HELP IS NEEDED WITH CASE.

September 20, 2010 at 3:28 pm |
  25. Anita Baysinger

You have many explanations on the proposed tax increase on the rich by dropping the tax breaks now ready to expire.
    Is the cut-off amount of $250.000 for retaining the existing tax rate gross income ? We pay taxes on taxable income so I am assuming that the taxes are based on net income. Is that correct?
    Would you please go into this and explain it on your income pie so we can understand it?

September 20, 2010 at 9:28 pm |
  26. Sterling Lipscomb

Am I missing something? We need more jobs to spark the economy yet we keep shipping them overseas? Why don't we fix this?!?

September 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
  27. PB

** Colbert's Congressional publicity stunt cost us taxpayers $125,000 today. Money well spent?

** Piers' new show had better be earth-shaking in order to benefit CNN as it seems he's only tolerated on AGT because his peers use humor to coverup his sour disposition.

** Ken J's statement about [making program as lively as lively is programming] or something just as "pshawish" sounds like you've attached a really deep thinker there, guys. (Don't allow desperation to muddle your thinking.)

September 24, 2010 at 11:02 pm |
  28. CsbTampa

Well, I say this issue over the teachers unions and state, local and federal goverment has beein going on since I was a student in school in the 1960's. Nothing has been done to resolve this huge issue.

Where I think the problem lies is that the is no specification as to what subjects the student is interested in learning about or specializing in as a profession.

From elementary thru high school the student should be nutured to pursue their goals, whether they want to be a scientist, doctor, computer programer, fashion designer, bank teller, restaurantuer (i.e., McDonalds franchisee or others), reporter, etc. The classes should be tailored to address the specific desired occupation the student wants to learn about.

I know if my courses in school had been all about art I probably would be an art designer, art dealer, museum currator or similar instead of a Realtor.

Schools fail students when they do not specify what the student wants to do, parents fail students when all they want to do is engage their kids in sports so they can make $$$$Millions$$$$ before age 16, and students fail themselves for not taking the initiative to learn irregardless of the environment in which they grow up in.

September 27, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  29. Marcus Reis

can anyone post the website recently presented by TJ where you create online study groups???

Thanks

October 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  30. JOHN R GIBREE

goverment fines tabbaco co. millions. I lost my job expressing my freedom for a smokefree working enviroment.Expossed to second hand smoke every day for 8 years.Pleaded with management and my own union for HELP! [BOTH IGNORED MY REQUEST FOR HELP]. I was forced to seek outside help.Management finnaly responed by retalleating, abbssing thier power to terminate me.The U.S.P.S. even ignored outside agencies trying to help me.According to the contract MANAGEMENT [U.S.P.S.] must provide at all cost a healthy work enviroment for ALL POSTAL EMPLOYEES,and be accountable if they donot. How can a goverment agency break many binding EEO CONTRACTS,COMMIT PURGERY,IGNORE SAFETY, and too much more abuse to mention.WHO DO YOU TURN TO FOR HELP TO ENFORCE SMOKING REGULATIONS WITHIN THE GOVERMENT?

October 4, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  31. MIke Brooks

I'm listening to the blather about the US being behind on college graduates in engineering, mathematics, the sciences. What Ali is ignoring, is that we have done everything possible to *discourage* our students from majoring in those disciplines. I am a mathematician and an engineer. I have had three jobs outsourced and been displaced three additional times by cheap Indian H1-B guest workers! My son, a 4.0 GPA student in mathematics switched his major to law at the recommendation of his college guidance advisor because the H1-B and similar visas are so pervasive and has so displaced American workers that there is no career stability in engineering, mathematics, computer science, the hard sciences, even nursing! Ali, if we REALLY wanted to do something about the lack of US students majoring in those areas, we would end the H1-B and every other guest worker visa today! We have five million unemployed US hi tech workers. Send the Indian indentured servants back home and let us do those jobs!

October 5, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  32. Genisis

Ali,
    Today in your miday news segment you mentioned about Common Wealth Games (CWG)in New Delhi. You showed a clip of trained monkeys patrolling the streets to keep other monkeys aways. Is that all you can relate the CWG to. How about showing the spectacular openning of the games then a empty stadium. Why is there a negative sentiment. Why is it that you cannot show something positive about the world around us so that we can all draw inspiration from what is going around us and better our lives, our world..........

October 5, 2010 at 6:35 pm |
  33. Paul

Ali and everybody else get really excited about the U.S. falling behind certain other countries in selected subjects. It draws viewers as intended. This condition is not good. However, check out the nationality of many of those that have contributed greatly over the past few decades, And why do they come to America? American opportunity or Money! Education should be for everybody. Enhance public education. You never know who will provide the next geat acheivement. It's not always the highly bright.

October 5, 2010 at 6:50 pm |
  34. Moe Hurley

We keep talking about college and going back to school, whatever happened to 'good ole' On the Job Training. Ppl need work now, to pay bills now, to save their homes now. If we have employment in this so called 'green energy' age, then train the ppl now. The American Ppl catch on pretty quickly.

October 5, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  35. anniegeorge

I have miss cnn news coverage this week. I only have one question where is rick.

October 8, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
  36. kathleen

I learn so much from you. . . Obama is trying to do what the Japanese gov. has been doing,. . . collaborating with private industry to fund until they get off the ground. We should have done that a long time ago. You have given us such great xyz's plus so much clarity with financial news questions to get the most out of your guests. Thanks for knowledge and undertanding while we (me included because I have had to work offshore since 2004 to get a fulltime job (India, ROK, Singapore, Oman) and now I am in Los Angeles waiting for another visa to Oman to teach English (ESL) but I am working on becoming a court reporter (I bought a machine and practice wherever I am) just as I had been a probate paralegal then when that became impossible because of law changes, I went back and got an MS in Ed.plus took upp div. classes in ESL. So, we need to keep upgrading our skills just as buggy mfrrs had to transition to the age of the car way back. This particulary hits those nearing 50 who find that difficult to do. Keep up the good work. Thanks to you and your team for your presentations. Kathleen

October 9, 2010 at 11:28 pm |
  37. chris

What do you think? Solution: without imposing the Loan-to-Value (LTV), and the Debt-to-Income (DTI) ratio requirements, the responsible homeowners who are paying their mortgages on time and bound at some point to disband their properties and stop paying because they are paying more than their houses are worth, and they are not allowed to refinance because of the LTV ratio or the Debt-to-Income ratio, they should be given the opportunity at least to refinance to the prevailing lower market rate and reduce their payments. This will definitely reduce the foreclosures and provde some relief to homeowners who are in desperate need for help, in addition to that, all the savings on the mortgages by the millions of homeowners will be pumped into the economy and help in giving it a much needed push. what do you think?

October 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  38. StarWitch Stone

Someone asked, "Where are the male teachers?" (I assume you're talking about black men, but I'm referring here to men in general. I happen to be white and so I know more white men than black men.)

Well, the problem with male teachers is this... a man's main priorities in life are sex, money, and power. You don't get paid well to teach, so men aren't likely to get into teaching as a profession. And the men who DO teach may only be doing it because they want to have power over young girls (or boys). You cannot trust grown men around teenage girls. Look at any adult website online and you'll see why. The adult sites never exclaim, "Check out our hot fully matured women in their 30's." But you'll see over and over again, "Check out our YOUNG TEENAGE GIRLS!" The models look like they are high school aged, often flat-chested and wearing pigtails and bobby socks to make them look even younger.

Yes, this is what a lot of men fantasize about. Don't get it twisted. You don't want men teaching your girls. Even men who are decent guys could start to fantasize about sex with young girls if they are in a school environment on a daily basis.

Men also shouldn't be gynecologists. If you don't believe me, look up how many male OBGYNs have been arrested on sexual misconduct and assault charges. You cannot trust men who put themselves in a position of authority over women and children. They are too likely to screw it up and turn it into a sexual thing. And yes, women can molest children too, but it is far less likely that they will. And when they do molest, the damage doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as when a man does it.

October 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  39. Joann

My bank sent me back a monthly payment on my mortgage? they said that i'm behind by several months, but they been taking my paymen ever month but now..they want me to send them $3,700.00 dollars an i can not get this much money on unemployment of $300.00 a week.what do i do?

Joetta

October 14, 2010 at 7:19 pm |
  40. Helen Leach

The young man who committed sucide:

Every person on this earth is here for a reason. It is not up to us to
    wonder why, but to except that they are here to make a difference
    in our world.

October 14, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  41. CNN viewer

Dear CNN

This is in response to the statement made by Ali Veshi regarding bank foreclosures fraud. He is suggesting that the halt and investigation of bank foreclosures is slowing the recovery of the economy. Mr. Veshi is obviously not living on this planet, and is not fully gasping the concept of fraud. “Fraud,” a deliberate deception for unfair or unlawful gain or swindle. When hundred of thousand of individuals are losing their homes, how can he suggest it is slowing the recovery of the economy? Yes, some of these homes were going to be foreclosed no matter what, but when intentional deception is involved how you can put a number on it. . The fact of the matter is, when a crime is being committed, it cannot be taken lightly. CNN did not hesitated in dismissing Rick Sanchez, who was relaying a personal experience. CNN should put a cap on Ali Veshi and, have him comment only on things he knows about such as, how not to dress. I.e. Pin stripes, dotted ties, stripe shirts in combination- is a serious fashion violation- where is the fashion police. CNN should have him arrested.

Sincerely, CNN_viewer

October 14, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  42. carolyn parrish

Hello, I don't understand why so many people are complaining about the health care bill and wanting to appeal it. I remember when the car insurance took affect, it caused the same panic. Every state mandates that everyone have car insurance or they will be fined. If one insurance should be appealed then they both should be appealed. People need to take a deep breath and realized that this too will pass and that every thing will work out alright. Isn't people health just as important as having insurance on their cars. They both are deadly if you don't have it. Think about it.

October 15, 2010 at 12:20 am |
  43. Angie

Parents fail students when they don't engage in sports?

Student jocks in high schools are the biggest and worst bullies on the face of the earth, who because they are jocks in high schools where the school authorities care more about the sports teams in their schools than the average students, get away with engaging in group bullying against a much smaller single person.

Principles and school staff personnel fail students when they don't take measures to protect the average student from the schools top bullying jocks !

October 15, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  44. Nickolas Bay

HOW TO CREATE NEW JOBS

On the one side we have republicans who do not want new taxes and want the present tax breaks for the wealthy to continue. They claim that by giving the rich a continued tax break new businesses will spring up creating new jobs. The result of all this activity will mean more revenue to the government due to additional working taxpayers and company profits.

The problem with this approach is they assume new jobs will be created but they cannot guarantee it.

On the other hand we have the democrats that propose taxing everyone up to $250, 000 and eliminating the present tax cuts to the rich. Of course anyone making more than $250,000 will pay taxes on the additional income.

Democrats propose this will bring in new businesses thereby creating new jobs and additional income to the federal government by the new job taxpayers. The problem with this approach is they cannot guarantee new businesses will develop. Paying taxes does not create business.

THE SOLUTION:

The federal government establishes a tax assessment based on the actual numbers of new jobs and new hirings made. This is a fair approach to large and small alike; it is based on results not political rhetoric.

This program would run on a year to year basis and tax credits would be issued on proof that new jobs and hirings were made. This would encourage small and large businesses to expand. New jobs would mean new tax income to help lower our national debt. Everyone would be treated on an equal basis. There would be a fixed amount for each new job or rehiring eliminating the present discourse that one business or taxpayer is getting preference.

My proposal would be to base the tax credit on the income level of the taxpayer. This would mean the taxpayer in a higher tax bracket would get a ‘job” credit allowance higher than someone in a lower tax bracket. Our present income tax system is based on income levels. This approach aligns itself with our present tax structure.

I hope some senator sees the merit in this approach and presents a completely bi-partisan proposal using this tax per proven new job idea. This program is based on performance not promises.

October 16, 2010 at 6:10 pm |
  45. Eileen Curras widow to Hernandez, WWII

For most Americans their home is a shelter today. Yes, a roof over their head especially when family does not understands a simple condition like Multiple Sclerosis, and local politics entice people to Domestic Violence. I cannot say that a home is the biggest investment today because I am a person with disabilities and still I cannot get a job. Currently I am pursuing studies and learning from a disability and my limits. At this time of economic uncertainty, it is not both. Sadly, we did not see this economic crisis coming soon thanks to political agendas. The fact is that property has not traditionally appreciated anything but their interest and the reality of times is hitting now. Today, however, is unlike the past. Currently there are no programs for People with Disabilities, and in places like the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, which has more than 26% of the population with People with Disabilities it is not easy. So how does that fact fit on you reality? I would like to hear Richard and Ali battle this topic that affects more females than male, and their families.

October 17, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  46. twina24

I like this blog since it is truthful and shows everyone what is going on with our economy. I hope more posts will be put up on how to rectify the problem of owning property despite our economy

October 17, 2010 at 11:57 pm |
  47. Alan Bissett

To Ali or Tony,

We have our mortgage with B of A, have never been late on our mortgage. B of A is charging us a 6.00 fee for using their online payment service. If you make the payment in the 1st week there is no fee. My wife gets paid on the 1st and 15th of each month and I'm on unemployment so my checks rotate each month. B of A has a stair step fee charge for 2nd and 3rd weeks if the payments aren't paid by the 1st of each month. I asked them to wave the fee and they flattly refused saying that they wouldn't even consider it. Even though I explained our financial situation.They said that we could avoid the charges if we open a bank account with them.
    I feel this is holding people hostage for using a service that they provide.
    This is wrong!
    I would like to hear you talk about this on the air and get imput from other peoplein the financial circles.

October 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  48. Jim Grisdale

Tony Harris:
    Talk about spending in washington.
    How much money is spent for travel during the electio this year for the Prez.VP and first Lady to skirt the country side begging for votes.
    The VP has made over 100 trips to different states and cities.
    The Prez. has made over six trips to Ohio. I would not think the Demc. party is footing the bills. ( The Tax payers ) most like will pay the bills.
    How much will they spend of the tax payers money .

How many kids could receive a good education for this amount of money.

October 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  49. Randy Dube

Hi Ali; I heard you say on a recent broadcast that to get an idea or new innovation on THE BIG I, to go to your CNN page and ask you, and you would give the directions. So, I'm asking you, can my innovations in Continuous Structural Frame Reinforcing methods; http://www.tor-eggs-torclosed-nets.org get a consideration for inclusion on THE BIG I?

October 26, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  50. joe

Does cnn just let people post things on you tube and say they work for cnn there is a man who does that and his name is rajiim gross from fort thomas kentucky. and if he does work for your company by going and watching movies the only people he really interview after the movie is his wifes daughter and her boy friend. so your not really getting what the real people think .

October 27, 2010 at 2:30 am |
  51. David Thelen

Can entitlement payments be replaced by education grants plus business grants that are less make the most sense?
    Now it has been years since I tutored calculus; however, I am going to use one half as a case for argument for simplicity sake.
    People who are on the government subsidies such as Medicaid, food stamps, welfare or unemployment, may have long gaps of no or low employment. This person may have no marketable jobs skills. Why would any employer hire this person? This person may need retraining for the new jobs of tomorrow; in addition, this person may need help to write a resume and fill an application.
    Perhaps people could take a test to match the applicant’s skills with that of an occupation. Then the applicant will be shown a list of future employers to apply for a position. If the applicant wins a sponsored internship, then they will earn tax credits to free community college education for job retraining. Then after the applicant earns a certificate in the new occupation, they may be placed in the new occupation. Tax credits would be awarded to the business for taking a chance on this applicant.
    If the government were going to pay for Medicaid, food stamps, unemployment, and welfare any way. It would make sense to give away retraining and business credits in place of this. Perhaps, dollar one earned by the applicant could be doubled, until it reaches certain amount that is equal to zero subsidized by these entitlement payments. Calculus will calculate this curve. If this total amount were let us say 25-75 percent of ongoing entitlement payments, then it would make total sense to implement.

October 28, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  52. Scott Wilson

Create a 20% tax on campaign contributions and put that money in state funds to support education. The money goes to the state who's canidate is generating the money.

So much money is being used to fund canidates and argueably buy seats. If we could just put 20% of those monies towards something everyone would benifit from think how we could solve so many budget issues

November 5, 2010 at 7:02 pm |
  53. Jo Hartmann

Alli commented on the impact of technology on the economy. First time I've heard this addressed. Technology has put a LOT of people out of work when one machine/program/system can replace dozens-hundreds-thousands of people. Of course business is pushing its use! It's cheaper in the long run.

November 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  54. Alan Bissett

Hello
    You talk about the economy and jobs every day, Everyone is missing the point of getting America back to work.
    I have been in the construction industry since 1970 and have gone through a recession every 10 years. The economy is not going to get going again until the construction industry is back at work. The construction industry is the back bone to the economy and America will not return too anything normal until the construction industry is back working. In the mean time America's construction workers are sitting home running out of UE benefits and wondering what they will do. Why don't you talk about getting the construction workers back working and you would see a completely different economy and a lower UE rate. The construction industry would help all phases of the economy and help save the housing industry. The construction industry employes the largest segment of the population in some capacity.

November 8, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  55. Russell Biner

Will I ever be able to sell my house?

The 21st century is not about the old american dream of owning a home. It's all about staying as debt free as possible and staying away from any debt relation with any bank or mortgage co.

Who in their right mind would go in to debt for something they will probably never be able to sell for the price they paid for it?

It seams like everyone is stuck where they are with no hope of ever selling their home. Let's forget about retirement. Our homes are a worthless investment and an albatross around our necks.

My advice to young people is never buy a home for investment. Keep your money away from the banks. Invest in what you know about not the advice of a broker. Get credit but don't ever use it. Once you do you will be doomed until they day you die.

November 9, 2010 at 8:07 pm |
  56. sam

Ali, please/please give us details on the INCOME VS EXPENSES of our Federal Govt .... and why they cannot cut across-the-board to balance the budget, and then raise the Taxes only to pay for the Debt... One can use the prev FY's income as a basis for expenditures in the following year. Finally, why can't we have a Balanced budget amendment? May be you can address these issues in the next few weeks.
    The country needs 'education' on this to accept 'sacrifices' ! otherwise, we will be bankrupt sooner than we think!!!!!!!!!
    thanks,
    Sam

November 11, 2010 at 5:29 pm |
  57. Joanne

Everyone talks about the System being broken on Heath Care, Social Security, Education. What about Welfare? So much fraud and abuse with this system. Get them back to work. Example: The single moms who collect money under the table from the fathers of these children so they won't lose the state suppoort and don't want to get married for that reason. This also includes dissability young people who are considered mentally unstable and yet can drive an automobile. Why does the government not talk or do anything about this? Let this become nation wide just like Social Security and let's get some cash back from people who stay on this for generation to generation and loaf off of tax payers.

November 11, 2010 at 7:40 pm |
  58. James

I just briefly saw an article which stated something about Veterans being to apply for assistance. I didn't get most of the information on where to apply, or what was needed.
    I would appreciate any information you could send me with regards to this subject.

Thanks
    James
    11/12/2010

November 12, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  59. Randall

What is this with using the word "Fricken" as if it is an exceptable expression. I'm trying to teach my children to not use substitute words being as they are the same as using the word they are replacing. To me it is the same as using "Fucking" and I'm offended with you using it on national news!

November 12, 2010 at 7:42 pm |
  60. Anthony Baptiste

I am a Canadian viewer with two comments:
    I listen the talk about the lack of Jobs...Jobs.... Jobs.. The States have to invest in a massive retraining program because that blue collar job is not coming back.... sign of the times... hence... education reform... healthcare reform... etc..
    Ali Velshi's XYZ... was an excellent comment (TSA).. sometimes the anchors must stop the nonesense and remind citizens the stakes in the new North America.

Anthony..

November 16, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  61. calvinmcdonald

First i love your show.
    Ok everything you say is true about housing,but you must add that where you purchase that investment could put you in the same problem we have seen with cash investment, for 20 years my home in Detroit MI. was a great investment until the local old money in Michigan wanted me out so they could move back in. I bought my home for 35,000,00 in 1997, the value went to 125,000.00. It is now worth 30.000.00 even with all the new editions, so you are no longer safe with owning a home. Q for you how can you own the land your home is on and the right not to ever sell it? Is that even possible.

November 17, 2010 at 8:47 pm |