September 7th, 2010
05:12 PM GMT

(CNN) – It was an upbeat message from José Manuel Barroso during his first State of the Union speech at the European Parliament. And during it, the President of the European Commission also let slip a proposal that was new to me.

I had the chance to follow-up in an interview after the speech. So I asked him, What exactly was the ‘European Vacancy Monitor’? It turned out to be a suspiciously simple system to help clear up job vacancies across the Union.

All vacancies would be published so someone looking for a job in, say, France could see what’s available in Portugal, or Ireland.

For an economist it makes perfect sense. It’s a straightforward market, matching up supply and demand. But even after you’ve dealt with the administrative challenge, what about the political backlash? The two most explosive issues in the region right now must be immigration and unemployment.

How does the President see his proposed new system working? Watch a clip here and check out the rest on TV later today:

« Previous entry
  1. Henk

Good Job Barroso. We need more of these initiatives to enhance Europe.

September 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  2. muhammad sohail arshad

I AM A HARD WORKING PERSON , AND CARRYING ON MY STUDIES IN M Phil ENGLISH LITERATURE ,
    I HAVE REASONABLE QUALITIES TO FULFILL ALL OF YOUR REQUIREMENTS , AND HAVING EXCELLENT WRITING SKILL AS QUOTED BY ALL OF MY PHD PROFESSORS ,AND HAVING GOOD SPEAKING AS WELL AS READING POWER IN ENGLISH.

September 13, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  3. Gail Ellis-Duncan

This is one of the reason I have remained in Germany.As an artist (singer/song writer/entertainer/activist), I am managing to stay afloat and pay bills via gigs while maintaining my health insurance, travel europe and meet some nice people. Though I often miss home, D.C., I am very grateful to have work.

September 15, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  4. raquel fernandez garcia

I am skeptical to any decision taken by mr. Barroso with respect to jobs promotion in the eu. I have tested the system some years ago and i remember there were impossible standards achievable, the route on the system was a complex spider game for adventuriers and the transparency in the system was zero. Closed standards and unflexible market was the top implementation idea at the moment and lisbon program was obsolete during more than a decade, any progress was made or perceived in any eu country. I remember also to have introduced my cv in the search eu pages, no answers and no movement of my cv in those past years in any direction and the potential risk of being disseminated in the wrong sense, but here in spain, nothing happens, they clean everyday democracy with the presentation about different standards and they turn the eye when looking for a good practices framework code gpw7, i was collaborating actively in that network at the moment. I was deceived and i started to look in other directions to understand what happened in the system. The european union system is not a saint organization and the democratic deficit is more than evident actually.
    The EU is a place for sharks capturing feedback, each others talent and creativity. A blocked innovation system is being caused for these reasons mentioned before. Who up the hand to say you say the truth!!

September 20, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  5. Samson atuluku

Im a Tv producer/director with NIGERIAN TELEVISION AUTHORITY with two years experience.i will be glad if i can secure a job with your organisation.

October 9, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
  6. Purodha Perera

Hi, I am Purodha Perera from Sri Lanka. I'm a 25 year old lady who is very interested in joining your Organization. If you are interested I will e-mail my resume. I would like to know if EU would recruit people from Asian countries. Please keep me posted.

Purodha Perera

October 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm |
  7. Ana

Zork: Grand Inquisitor has a puzzle saimlir to the one you imagine. It's also a clever piece of characterization. At one point, you inhabit the body of a Brogmoid, a colossally strong and stupid creature. He opens a boarded-up door by pulling off the planks with his bare hands. Later, he encounters a complex puzzle that's like a cross between chess and an orrery. The solution? Repeatedly bludgeon it with one of the planks until the treasure at the center falls out.

September 3, 2012 at 12:54 am |