November 9th, 2010
02:16 PM GMT

I went into my local supermarket a last week, and lo and behold, Christmas is here!

The aisles were full of chocolates, tins of Christmas biscuits, fruit cakes and an array of hard teeth-breaking children’s sweets that are meant to fill Santa’s stocking.

Now, I know I don’t want to sound like Scrooge, but it seems that every year the commercialization of Christmas gets earlier and earlier.

And it’s not just Yuletide, but also Halloween, Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and all those other days in the year that really shouldn’t be hard on your wallet but sometimes are.

This year, again, the South African Savings Institute is due to launch its yearly plea to citizens to not overspend and get into worse debt over the festive season.

But do consumers listen?

My questions are:­ does all this early, in-your-face Christmas branding make you want to start buying gifts and food now? Or are you going to spend more wisely this Christmas?

1. Tony

Christmas is surely NOT my time of year.

November 10, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  2. Phil

Yes it is way too early! I can remember as a child from 1947 when I was 4 and in the 1950's Christmas stuff DID NOT COME OUT UNTIL THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING! That is the way it should. Now we have Christmas stuff out on display in July, take note Walmart! Stupid. I refuse to buy one damn thing until AFTER Thanksgiving. As I remember, the stores made their profits rather nicely from Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve. Let us go back to those wonderful times. By the time Christmas comes, you are so sick of Carols being blasted in the store, it destroys the joy of the holiday. Bring sanity back!

November 11, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  3. Laci

I think that christmas advertising and purchases should not be in shops until 1st December as it spoils the excitement and reason for the holiday celebration. Here in the U.K. christmas decorations in some stores go up in September!!!

November 11, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Nils

Hello from Norway
    The Christmas shopping start to early, and it damage the special feeling and atmosfer when the real christmas time is coming in late december.The commercial stuff is going to destroying the christmas, its only going to be a show in the near future,
    sincerely,
    Nils

November 14, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  5. Mike Keleher

THE MARKETING PUSH IS TOO EARLY, THOUGH THE BEST TIME TO BUY GIFTS IS WHEN AN ITEM IS ON SALES AND FOR CASH. EXAMPLE, MEN'S LONG SLEEVE SHIRTS ON SALE WHEN SHORT SLEEVE COME OUT.

November 14, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
  6. Pro-active

Yes it starts early and spoils the joy, excitement and beauty because it is too prolonged. The stores start loading up and displaying Christmas items from October when we are yet to celebrate Thanksgiving in November. It's crazy but then everything seems to be commercialised these days!

November 15, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
  7. icon designs

Completely I share your opinion. Idea good, I support.

October 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm |