February 7th, 2011
12:26 PM GMT

1. Teemu Laakso

I have a miniature version of this on my front yard. Every morning I have to go to work and being late because of "snow" is not acceptable at all. It would be the same than being late because of sunshine!

February 8, 2011 at 9:39 am |
  2. Caxton Hickton

Well, Helsinki does not represent the whole Finland, and what they do there, does not necessarily apply in other parts of the country. On the other hand, neither does Lapland. I understand that you chose Helsinki, because it's well accessible and even remotely interesting and known – at least among the more educated – in your country. I would imagine, though, that by 2011, the Americans would have gotten over the notion that Helsinki is the only place worth while (apart from the reindeer and Santa Claus).

February 8, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  3. Lassi

HYVÄ SUOMI!

February 8, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  4. Manuel Vilhena

Interesting article. The others nordic countries have a lot to learn regarding snow knowledge with Helsinki.

February 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
  5. Jaakko

Indeed Helsinki does not represent the whole Finland, but as you guessed it, it was propably chosen because it's reasonably accessible and because it's the capital city and is the largest Finnish city (if you can call one such). For example, Oulu, located some 600 km north from Helsinki, has easily double the snowfall and still the town functions just as good as Helsinki does – even it's airport. Snowhow is a good term for this. Not many need it globally, though.

But still, I would not expect an average world citizen – or an even more educated one – to know anything about such a small and remote country. :)

February 9, 2011 at 8:06 am |
  6. Happy Finn

I am proud about our ability to manage the snow in difficult situation. We have long history in this area and people who do not give up. Aad we do this in many languages, Where else? HYVÄ SUOMI.

February 9, 2011 at 9:10 am |
  7. James PK

"Well, Helsinki does not represent the whole Finland, and what they do there, does not necessarily apply in other parts of the country"-Hickton
    Of course it doesn't. Helsinki is the biggest city in Finland, so it's harder to deal with the snow, but still the effectiveness is almost the same in every city/town. We don't have any problems with the snow usually.

February 9, 2011 at 10:00 am |
  8. pietro

that is good video material what helsinki city hall worker can show to world whit cnn,

February 9, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  9. From the North of Finland

Caxton Hickton
    What do you mean by that?
    There are other cities in Finland where it's as important to get rid of snow. The differences in snowfall aren't really that radical throughout the country. It's the massive size of the capital area that makes the issue here, other cities in Finland are fairly small and it's not _that_ much of a pain in the butt to get rid of the snow and keep the traffic network moving.
    And as for Lapland, why they would want to get rid of the snow? It brings money. ;)
    I've never heard of schools getting close due to snow here, by the way!

February 9, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  10. Oh Joy

What were they thinking, my ancestors?

"Yep. Excellent. This is where I want to build my hut. This place is coool."

Thank you very much.

February 9, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  11. Greenwich, CT

Well, Jaakko, I am one such "educated" person who know a great deal about your wonderful country, having visited there about 7 or 8 times in the last 20 years. I've been everywhere from Helsinki to Ivalo, including Tampere, Turku, Kupio, Nantaali, Savoliina, Oulu and Kupio. I am fortunatel to have so many Finnish friends whom I can stay with.

You Finns are a very industrious people who have long endured much hardships. A little thing like snow is not going to get you down. I am proud that my Finnish friends consider me an "Honorary Finn," although I haven't a drop of Finnish blood in me.

Long live Suomi!

February 9, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  12. An American in FInland

Caxton Hickton, it annoys me when I read another comment from a fellow American that proves once again that we know very little about countries outside of America.. please don't comment about things you don't know; it insults me and the Finns. I've been in FInland for years now, EVERYWHERE in Finland is efficient. Helsinki being the busiest and most challenging to keep running is just the perfect example to use for how they keep everyday running despite the snow. and PS there is a lot more than just Santa to see here...

February 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  13. JPD

5,000 truckloads per day. 3,000 dumped on land. 2,000 in the sea!
    That snow being dumped into the sea is filthy! Full of the oil and other residues from vehicles...(perhaps salt, if it is used on inner city streets).

This is not at all an environmentally friendly way to get rid of the snow. At least when it is dumped on land, the natural leaching process will dissipate the residues to some extent before the water returns to the aquifers; but dumping it directly into the sea???

February 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  14. Mikko

To JPD.
    That snow HAS to be dumped somewhere in order for people to get about. It would melt anyway and end up in the normal circle. Where do you get off saying that it is "full of oil" ? Do you know anything about cars ? all this is a figment of your imagination. Cars don't just spray oil in the ground you know. Get your facts straight.

The potential small amounts of salt is nothing compared to ships all over the world unnecessarily dumping their bilge water and other dirt into sea to circumvent harbour fees.

February 10, 2011 at 4:29 am |
  15. Marjatta Lavin

Carlton Hickton! What! Nimi miesta myoten! Different from the United States, education is national in Finland. We have a national standards. The Finns test better then any American from any American School System anytime. I can assure you that a person in Savonlinna or Kuusamo can be every bit as educated as the one from Helsinki, sometimes better. I have lived in the U.S. for 33 years. I ought to know. Why do you have a need to look like the stupid, "famous ugly American!!
    A puddle in New York City seem to get drivers in trouble!

February 10, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  16. American who has been there

The above comments from many Finns showing the competetiveness between the various Finnish regions and cities is characteristic and – sorry- amusing to a foreigner who has been to Suomi many times (educated or not). The video was about Helsinki, not FInland as a whole, and was no doubt chosen as a subject in response to the UK airports' recent ineptitude in handling comparatively very little snowfall. Helsinki's "snowhow" was being praised contrasted with the UK's & rest of Europe's, not other Finnish areas. I agree that it would have been a more well-rounded and thorough report if it had mentioned other Finnish cities, but it did not slight them by omission. I have spent a lot of time in Turku and was very impressed by the heated sidewalks in the central part of downtown in winter, which kept the main walking areas clear of snow. I was told that this heat came from the public water supply piped under the sidewalks, which was generated from industrial by-products, which also supplied heat for free or very little to all the city residents. Not sure if I got that story straight, but it sounds wonderfully efficient both environmentally and economically...not to mention the human values which underly such a program.

February 10, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  17. Rudravarman

..before the water returns to the aquifers.. from the sea?

Btw,good to see Mr.Quest in business,mistook him having perished in N.Y.C / WTC 2001.09.11

February 10, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
  18. VG

Yes. People definitely should avoid dumping snow with trace amounts of salt to the sea, otherwise it might turn the seawater salty or something unnatural like that...

February 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  19. Del

Helsinki is extremely well-known as the home of the Heartagram, HIM and Ville Valo.

February 13, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  20. rob

all i have to say as a foreigner living here is bollocks ,snow clearance here is a joke ,just go to youtube and put in snow clearance montreal and then you will see a military operation and you will see how a street , a pavement and a city is kept moving,here all they do is skim the surface turning streets into sheets of ice and eventually some truck comes along and dumps stones but until that time (and it may not happen) you slip and slide.the excuse of not knowing if acar is under a pile of snow is more lazy talk you post signs and then once again look at youtube for snow removal siren if cars are not removed then tow them and fine the owner,simple really.
    If this city is kept moving please tell me how dumping snow from the street onto pavement and now saying the city has done its job now the pavement is your problem ,once again laziness and taht is the key word here lazy and inept so please Mr. Quest when doing a report make sure you report factually.
    P.S i would like to state in said report t was shown that there was a lot of snow everywhere yes there has been a big snow fall but that was all snow they have not cleared and trust me when i say more snow galls in the eastern board of the states and Canada than i have ever seen here

February 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  21. A Finn

Only finnish people comment here because nobody else is interested.

February 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  22. LB

Canadian here. Finland is awesome.

February 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
  23. Charles

Does anyone know what the music score used in this report is?! Absolutely divine.

June 8, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  24. Surekha Kumar

I love love love Helsinki. I stayed here for two years and found it really an amazing country to stay. Helsinki snowfall work is highly commendable as in -30 degrees when I don't want to go outside, still the workers used to clean the roads full of snow everyday... Its better than other European countries and also much better than Asia.. I wish to come back Helsinki ... :) I am proud that I lived in such a beautiful country...

January 20, 2012 at 4:45 am |
  25. names

I have been exploring for a little for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i am glad to express that I've a very just right uncanny feeling I came upon just what I needed. I so much for sure will make certain to do not overlook this website and give it a glance regularly.

April 4, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
  26. minitruck

My brother recommended I may like this website. He was totally right. This post actually made my day. You cann't believe simply how a lot time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

September 11, 2012 at 2:29 am |