February 28th, 2011
05:38 AM GMT

Beijing, China (CNN) - I had thought China's situation was significantly different from the Middle East because the government has been successful in bringing better living standards to the people here. You would think that would make Beijing feel less vulnerable. But perhaps all authoritarian regimes react the same.

My crew and I went out Sunday afternoon to see if there was going to be a public response to anonymous calls on the Internet to stage protests and begin a Tunisia-style "Jasmine Revolution" in China. When we arrived at the shopping district Wangfujing, the designated protest location, hundreds of uniformed and plain clothes police patrolled the area. We waited to see if any protesters would show up. But after half an hour, there was no obvious demonstration.

We started shooting a short report and within minutes the police descended upon us. My cameraman was led away. My producer, Jo Kent, started filming me with a small camera when a plain clothes policeman batted it out of her hand. He and several other officers started shoving us around. Three bulky men grabbed my petite female producer. Three more nabbed me, holding my arms tight. We offered to walk on our own but the officers pushed, at times lifting us off the ground, before dragging us to a bank branch where police were already detaining other journalists.

The officers took down details of our press credentials and told us we needed a permit to conduct interviews in the area. However, there were no protesters and we weren't interviewing anyone. As far as we understood the regulations, we weren't breaking any laws. In an especially bizarre statement, the police denied that anybody had forced us into the bank, claiming that we showed up on our own volition. They returned our camera and we discovered they had deleted our video even though it was just me on the street discussing how there were no protests. When we insisted on being released, one officer said we were free to go at any time - just not until they said so.

After half an hour, we were released. We walked off the premises and I tried to explain on camera what had happened to us. We were again immediately surrounded by police who attempted to put us into an unidentified car which they said was an official vehicle. One of the men took my press card and refused to give it back until I wrested it out of his hands. I demanded that he show me his ID badge and he did eventually - while covering his name with his thumb.

We found out many other journalists were treated the same and, in some cases, much worse. A former colleague and friend of mine Steve Engle of Bloomberg News had been dragged into an alley by several police who beat him up. He ended up at the hospital.

My own experience and those of my colleagues show how incredibly terrified and paranoid the Chinese authorities are of any anti-government movement forming in China.

1. jasmine

WTF china – assaulting and beating up foreign journalists. indeed, you show your true colors not as an economic superpower but a draconian Orwellian state. you can't oppress your ethnic groups and middle class forever.

February 28, 2011 at 5:50 am |
  2. olsziwizi

What a shame! Stop just reading. Learn how you can solve the crimes search online "United Forensic College"

February 28, 2011 at 5:54 am |
  3. Godmade

Sound like this is more like a Foreign media "Jasmine Revolution" in China. Of course if some guys come to my house try to create tensions I act the same as well. Can't you find something more interesting to report? Sorry CNN crews, I don't feel sorry for you guys.

February 28, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  4. Justina

China is teaching good, decent manner in her secondary schools.

February 28, 2011 at 6:35 am |
  5. Omar, Riverside, California

It is funny how China holds one face for the political side but when their true colors come out they do everything to hide it. What is also funny is how ignorant and weak hearted true Chinese people are. It is also a shame that many Americans are becoming this way failing to notice how we are becoming like the Chinese and just letting big government do what they will. If we do not want to become the next China living in fear and not wanting to do anything then we must voice our opinions about everything. We must keep an open media where it is free to report on everything not just what huge companies want. But then again maybe you are happy being a sheep just like the Chinese. What a pathetic country China is and if we don't change we will be just as Pathetic as them.

February 28, 2011 at 6:40 am |
  6. Fred

Wow, that cop looks just like Jet Lee!!

February 28, 2011 at 6:48 am |
  7. michael

Chinese authorities always such barbarian !!! for any regime, it's same across the world!!!

February 28, 2011 at 6:51 am |
  8. Bakar Arang

The chinese ambassador to US should be dragged out of his office and detained for interrogation.. just to let china know it the wrong way to act civilized.

February 28, 2011 at 6:53 am |
  9. dingerash

Well, it is because of the role of international press in the Tianmen squres's event, The bad memery and the facts in Tunisia and Egipt will automatic they reaction as that. Vilent? see the police in New York, you will think they are very polite.

February 28, 2011 at 6:57 am |
  10. I hate C

Although I have lots of Chinese friends, I really really really hate the Chinese government. The goverment is extremely exclusive. Think about it. The Chinese government continuously bothers other countries such as Japan, South Korea and Vietnam.
    I am pretty sure there is no country which has favor towards the Chinese goverment. As China gets power, it will take off its mask and more bother or threaten other countries.

February 28, 2011 at 7:00 am |
  11. Andew Xu

How long can China suppress the chinese people. Chinese are not dumb. Its a question of time before they will overthrow the current dictatorship.

February 28, 2011 at 7:02 am |
  12. Joey

Democracy in China needs to come already.I can't believe with their billion people population, and their internet (Censored, but there's microblogging sites) that it hasn't come yet.

CNN, stay safe with your reporting.. And be aware that Americans don't have CNN International, we only get CNN Newsroom telling us some boring videos you found on Youtube, so we know how you feel down in China.

February 28, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  13. Dozo

Tunisia-style revolution in China? Better not!

February 28, 2011 at 7:15 am |
  14. 兰博基尼

it's common in china, the authorities do not just do this to foreign journalists but also more to the chinese people,no body want to be the first one to uprise. but most people have the heart. they control almost everything ,include media and law.
    chinese never all be foollish.just because we people are just too disadvantage to the authorities.we have no way to be together and have no enough strenth to deal with the authorities.

February 28, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  15. Janman

Western dogs and monkeys screaming harrassment in China, for taking the role of being protesters. The animals are really disgusting to say the least.

February 28, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  16. Chris

It's not just the foreign journalists. I was out this morning with my new DSLR, taking pictures of the fresh snowfall we just had, and the police dragged me into a car, took my camera, and deleted all of my pictures, including my Chinese New Year pictures of my wife and family. I was nowhere near any of my city's protest sites, either. China is not a safe place for anyone these days. I don't care WHAT the Chinese people say.

February 28, 2011 at 7:55 am |
  17. Zack

Although I'm supportive of free speech and free media, we should understand that not all countries want to embrace democracy. Why do we have this belief that democracy is the only way to manage a country? Why do we want to 'evangelize' democracy to the world? Are democratic countries really that good?

February 28, 2011 at 7:55 am |
  18. Greg Cardenas

Stop buying Chinese products...it is obvious the Chinese don't get it...why is USA buying from there when Africa is showing more democracy.

February 28, 2011 at 8:07 am |
  19. Does it matter

Extremely sorry for you journalist guys. The Chinese police should have greeted you with a bunch of red roses and valentine cards.

February 28, 2011 at 8:34 am |
  20. GMR

How nice. They have shiny, new equipment, Western-looking uniforms and spanking-new police cruisers, but they haven't the faintest idea of how to be police officers. Just goons in uniforms. Ahhh, without having a real democracy, what else could you expect? Democracy is flawed, but the alternatives are worse.

February 28, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  21. Matt

@GODMADE
    congrats you just earned your 5 mao. You are so wrong. Journalists don't cause trouble, they report it. Keeping people informed is not trouble, unless you are a CCP party member whose survival is based on keeping people ignorant and in fear.
    The journalists are invited guests in "your" house. You shouldn't beat them for telling others you fought with your family while they were visiting.

February 28, 2011 at 8:40 am |
  22. T1Brit

What is the difference between Gaddafi and The Chinese Government?
    The Chinese are more clever – they do not use machine guns anymore – and are very economically powerful.
    Apart from that – no difference at all.

February 28, 2011 at 8:54 am |
  23. Chris Waddell

China maybe being much "smarter" than the Middle East "regimes", has figured out that the "Internet" and "International Press" were two big contributing factors to how "well" the fall of regimes has gone. They obviously are trying to derail anything similar occurring on their watch. Not all of the regimes are going to end peacefully with everyone joining hands and singing "Kumbaya". The "Asian regimes" I am willing to be will be 1000's times bloodier an ordeal.

February 28, 2011 at 9:03 am |
  24. Roger Rabbit

Don't be so upset...it is not as if they were regular people, they are only chinese....they have another couple of hundred years to go before they are civilized.

February 28, 2011 at 9:07 am |
  25. Patrick

For a better look at China's paranoia regarding the Jasmine Revolution, check out http://www.nohrden.net/Nohrden/Deadliest_Flower.html.

February 28, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  26. John Smith

More journalists who think they are gods and should have the "right" to stick their cameras in anywhere they like.

February 28, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  27. Roger Rodriguez of Guam, USA

If China wants to ever become a great superpower like the United States the Chinese government needs to realize that freedom and democracy is vital for that to happen. The United States is the greatest and most prosperous nation in the history of the world because of its freedoms and democracy. The Chinese government better change its ways or it will never be a great superpower. India is the world's largest democracy and I suspect that it will be India, not China, that will be a great superpower.

February 28, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  28. francisco

You need to use hidden cameras in china. Put just any small camera into a purse and make a small hole and you can film everything. Thats what we d do when I worked for the secret service of a country. THere were no 007 cameras there. just palin normal small cameras most of the time inside bags and cases

February 28, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  29. Pat

The other day I had a little debate about China with a lady whose husband works in China. She claimed that it isn't that bad there and that most Chinese are perfectly happy with the communist dictatorship. My answer: most Germans were also perfectly happy under the Nazi dictatorship. 'Nuff said.

February 28, 2011 at 9:20 am |
  30. The Cynical Optimist

"It's not just the foreign journalists. I was out this morning with my new DSLR, taking pictures of the fresh snowfall we just had, and the police dragged me into a car, took my camera, and deleted all of my pictures, including my Chinese New Year pictures of my wife and family. I was nowhere near any of my city's protest sites, either."

This is what's really going on there I suspect. It is at this level where Chris is obviously not a foreign journalist and is nowhere near any indication of protests, just a guy with a camera taking some scenic shots, and the next thing you know, you're sitting in an unmarked car and your family photos have been deleted. Totally paranoid thugs this guys are with their intimidation tactics. They don't do that kind of thing in Taiwan anymore, but they once did. The CCP has got to go before this country is going to make any real progress and be recognized as "civil". Well, they still have the Tang Dynasty to be proud of.

February 28, 2011 at 9:41 am |
  31. Josefine

Why didn't the go to Caracas to film, they really are democratic and allow to film big anti-Chavez demos!!!!!

February 28, 2011 at 9:46 am |
  32. desert voice (troubledgoodangel or Nathanael)

This is an insult to all the American people: China has spot in the face of U.S. media! It is also an indication, what will the future world be like: it will be Orwellian in the highest degree! Why? Because the wealth, China's, Russia's ... and America's is increasingly being concentrated in fewer hands! No matter how they call themselves: Politburo, Shanghai Stock Exchange, or Wall Street, they will increasingly suppress the People! Wake up, World, and fight back!

February 28, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  33. bb

It's pretty obvious that a lot of the commentators posting stuff like "get out journalists!" are just part of a Chinese internet campaign aimed at trying to show there's support for beating up the journalists and protesters.

Sorry, but no one supports beating up demonstraters or journalists.

People are smart enough to understand what the Chinese government is doing to its people and to foreigners who try to report on it.

I feel sorry for the Chinese people. For them, this kind of oppression is a part of their everyday lives. It shows also how much bravery is necessary in Egypt and other countries... to stand up to similiarly brutal treatment.

February 28, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  34. sbuxguy

I don't condone what happened to their "reporting team", but at the same time, can you blame them? CNN spends a obsurd amount of time reporting how horrible and unfair China is. The saying "2 sides to every story" rings very true with reports published here. You do indeed show a side of China... it would just be nice for you to actually report the other side as well. The best part is that you were told/warned to not turn on the camera, yet you did it a second time and still have a problem with their rules? Their country, their culture, their rules... abide by them when you are in their country! American's expect the same when an outsider is visiting.

February 28, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  35. PC

Luck that Yoon is a fair-skinned Korean ( hope i guessed it right, Yoon is a Korean surname ), otherwise she probably would have been beaten up left,right & center like the poor black American walloped insensately in LA or somewhere ? ( sorry, i can't remember exactly which is which, because too many cases happened there ); Chinese police are quick-learners.
    BTW, no offences meant to the black American here, just merely quoting your predicament of staying in the most powerful and democratic country in the World.

February 28, 2011 at 11:09 am |
  36. Alex Peterson

It is a fact Chinese govt performed much better than US govt. Look who is owing who money. Talking about human rights, US just need to look in its own backyard (Guantano). Doesn't practise what is preached. Look, US democracy will not work everywhere. It is terrible, waste money (is Clinton still in debt?), time and highly inefficient. When will US Govt grow up? Maybe they are just trying to hide their embareessing failures with all these tough talk BS with the rest of the world.

February 28, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  37. Oh, please.

@Pat
    Godwin's Law. You have proven it.

@Roger Rabbit
    No, not racist at all. Indeed, in a billion people not one is "civilized".

@T1Brit
    Because Hu Jintao has been in power for 42 years and there is of course no obvious end in sight.

@Chris
    And I was beaten to death on my way to the interrogation chambers, where those meanie Chinese took my bomb-making kit away!

@michael
    What is this I don't even.

@Bakar Arang
    Are you aware that you could start a nuclear war? Is that really your idea of civilization? A burning hellscape of death and diplomatic foolishness?

February 28, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  38. Matt

Met Steve Engle on the job a couple months ago. Seemed like a good guy. Hope he's okay and recovers soon.

February 28, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  39. BP Spill

Yeah right, ask the ppl living in FLorida during BP Spill clean up, they weren't even allowed to dig sand in the beach,and the BP have bought out hte local government to ban journalist at all time.

BOO HOO HOO

February 28, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  40. Nike von

I really hope you all to go to China, infact most of chinese are friendly to Americans. Imagine if somebody come to incite against your country your social system,what will you do,what will your government do??!

February 28, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  41. Anon

As a resident of china, I have to say Ive seen nothing of this sort here. In addition, I have no sympathy for these journalists. They were in a place taking pictures of something they shouldnt have been taking pictures of. This isnt the US, the govt is very careful with how things are and in all honesty, things are better here in my opinion than they are back home in the US. So if someone, like these journalists come in and try to throw a wrench into the mess, I say beat the crap out of them. Its no different than those retarded kids that went hiking near Iran or that idiot who tried to enter North Korea. If your up to no good, or are doing something you shouldnt, then you deserve what you get. Who is to say the US way is correct? Who is to say the american/western values of free press are the right way? They are not the way of this country, and as such, the journalists should be more careful to follow the rules of where they are. Just to be clear, I love my home country, the US, but sometimes I feel they try to assert their values upon others when what others are doing is working just fine.

February 28, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  42. Aaa

A bunch low life attention seeking reporters, that's even too good for you.

February 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  43. Tad Pole

I do more than my fair share of complaining about how short sighted the politicians are in the USA, but whenever I read about China, I have to shake my head in disbelief. How long do the leaders of China think they can surpress a people that want reform, that want democracy, that want proper representation? In the past it was easier to hide the truth, but if they had any brains they must see it is going to happen sooner or later – why not preare for it, and let it happen in a way that won't cast them as the leaders of shame for eternity?

February 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
  44. Peace

Some people do not like the peaceful situation in China, they like to see the mess in China and want to do as protester not journalists.

February 28, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
  45. exrugger

Working in China the past several years, I have never seen police do any kind of police work other than harass citizens and others in the name of regime stability, and enrich themselves with bribes from every imaginable enterprise. Absolute corruption exists at every level, and local party officials and their business partners wield absolute power, with a few general parameters set by Beijing. This is not a Communist country by any stretch, it is a Fascist one. Big business and big brother work hand in hand to help each other out, and profit by each other. They are completely paranoid of any ripple of popular unrest, and use the shotgun to kill a fly approach, witnessed by their shutting down everyone's access to internet service in order to stifle a few strident voices. The claim that China's booming economy has created a higher standard of living does not apply to the vast majority who still live in 3rd-world poverty. It's no wonder there weren't protesters to be found in the posh shopping districts of the capital. If and when the revolution finally comes here, it will come from the countryside. And it can't come too soon.

February 28, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
  46. Ryan

It's time for a revolution in China. Beating up foreign journalist? If the chinese police can do such things to foreigners what more locals!

February 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  47. charlie111

Some cowards outside China tried to tease the police by calling a revolution. A handful of activists showed up. Quite a few dozens of "journalists" also showed up, mostly foreign. And the US diplomat who is aspiring to be the next president also showed up to lead the action. But then there were hundreads of policemen and even more spectators. What a revolution!
    The diplomat scored a few points for his run for president. Now get the fk out of China, ok!

February 28, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  48. Kinsnia

In this case the foreign reporters have to take the job of protester since there was none. Next time maybe the journalists can also take the police's job and beat each other up. In that way you can call it a real independent journalism.

February 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  49. John

Police brutality is common in the US if you are a minority. At least you weren't stripped naked and raped like in the middle east.

February 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  50. from China

Pff, police brutality and subhuman behaviour is more common in america than in China. I lived in both places and from the reactions here i can say most americans dont even begin to have a clue what life is like here.

Most people, 95% + is happy with the government. its working out for them and they support it.

So instead of stirring up nonsense I would suggest to look in the mirror because there is more wrong with human right in your own country, You just butchered 1 milion iraki's for oil so you nolonger hold the moral highground for the next 1000 years. please you people just crack me up.

February 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  51. Tim

Situation: foreign media reports on the 'Jasmine Revolution' that actually doesn't exist. Said journalists show up in China, and see proof that there is indeed no such thing, at least in an area where the supposed revolution is supposed to take place.

Facts: Eunice Yoon is South Korean. It's pretty clear where South Korea stands in its attitude towards China. CNN; please at least TRY to be non-partisan, or least make an attempt to believe in the journalist ideal that reporting is supposed to be NONBIASED. There is no public gathering without a permit in China. It's the SAME THING in the United States. You can protest all you want, but you need to be OK'd. It's in the Constitution if you don't believe me. If you go to another country and disobey their laws, what did you THINK was going to happen? A bunch of journalists are gathering at a non-designated protest area. I mean, no one seems to think twice about reporting how Singapore jails foreigners for LITTERING. THAT'S totally cool, but this isn't? Come ON.

Opinion: The new-found fears about China trying to take over the world is simply and completely retarded, not to mention hypocritical. I mean, NO ONE seems to see a problem with the US helping establish benign dictatorships in South American countries to maintain stability, but they see a problem with China trying to establish trade agreements with the rest of the world? We NUKED people. TWICE. No other country in the world has ever used one on civilians, OR combatants for that matter. People get upset when China tries to trade with dictatorships and decry that China is indirectly supporting them by providing them with commerce. Do people not realize that we've DIRECTLY ESTABLISHED dictatorships in Chile (which led to a 17-year reign of terror), Iran's Shah Pelavi in the 50s (who suppressed democracy), and many, many more. The right-wing called it 'a necessary evil'. How can the people in this country be so dense?

February 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  52. coder

get used to it lady
    the US is not far behind in pulling the same type of control

February 28, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  53. Guanxi

China is obviously fed up with the white man. Anyone who works with the white man is just the same. When the Los Angeles Police Department beat up Rodney King, African Americans became fed up too and beat up white people in LA. When the Americans killed the Vietnamese, the Viets got fed up too. When the Brits beheaded the Chinese after drugging them with Opium, the Chinese got fed up too. When the Americans invaded the Philippines, the Filipinos got fed up too. America is only 5% of the world. Those who support it are on the margins of society. Even if all white people supported America, they're only 15%. The majority of the people in the world will simply beat up Americans and their supporters. Americans better stay home, or else...

February 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  54. a 23years chinese

police in china are not polite and their behavior are not normative,if they make a mistake ,will not be punished by law carefully.because chinese law not pay much attention to this.
    most of chinese kown that U.S police service for folks,and envy you.
    but police in china have no idea that they must service, they usually only finish the task their leader carried out and they often have no good manner to folks.
    I'm sorry for their barbarian.sometimes some chinese can't recognize their crude behavior.after all,most Chinese had not received higher education,but everything will be better and better.
    CNN is famous in china,especially in 2008 Xizang report,from those days,CNN stand for false in Chinese heart.Mybe it is a misunderstanding.
    today I come to watch CNN side,because I believe CNN pursue report facticity .

February 28, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  55. Silas

You've got to love the Chinese propaganda machine. I bet most users 'critical' of what Eunice Yoon and her team did in Beijing are actually working for the Chinese government trying to deliver 'reasonable' arguments against freedom of press and democracy.

February 28, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  56. Sunny Sun

Look, people of the Free world

China has come so far from noting and you westerner cant see it if your life depend on it. All you do in complain about other country and how there system is wrong. Chinese governess cares about the will being of its people. Our way of life and tradition has been passed down from generations to generations. It cant be changed in a short time. For all you reporters who are a GUEST of China, please respect our way of life and law. We don't go to America and hate on all the bad things you have done to the people and other country's. We China aren't in wars with a much smaller and weaker country. We don't take advantage of a weak and defenseless of the middle east. Please don't expect Chinese to think and act like you since we are educated different and have different culture. Chinese people are happy and the economy is going great. Why change something that is working and people are happy. Why are you making things worse?

February 28, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
  57. mjs

I would think the average chinese person would be happier because most of the rest of the world is been exposed
    for their greed for invading other countries for oil,supporting dictatorships for oil,supplying arms to arab dictatorships,
    causing wars in african countries,plundering the resources of african countries(amongst the richest whites live in
    south africa),legalising greed via wall street,exposure of scandels and misuse of taxpayers money ...etc...

February 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
  58. Josh

Chinese authority should expel all these journalists, and shut them out. It is not so good for Chinese society to have these "King makers" to stay in China.

February 28, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  59. Kara khan

This is the Curse of the Red Flower.

February 28, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  60. lg

the report doesn't make any sense

February 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  61. Paul

Cmon people, you and your beloved America couldnt care less about free press or democracy (there are dozens of america-backed dictators out there and you havent complained about their censorship, not once, until they become a reliability) you guys just hate the chinese more.
    Censorship exists in China and that is a fact but at least they are upfront about it and they will not bs you with euphemisms. However on one hand America preaches freedom and democracy but in the other she is financing dictators and killing dissidents like Anwar al-Awlaki.
    THAT is why the "Middle East" (quite a generalization there) and China are not buying your "freedom and democracy" mantra.
    Hypocrites.

February 28, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  62. erin

It is interesting reading some of the comments blaming the journalists. It almost seems as if the Chinese government has a social media PR team to post comments trying to defend the Chinese Police actions.

How were the journalists at fault? They were reporting the ABSENCE of protests. The Chinese govt. made a non-story a larger story now.

February 28, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  63. shengart

Congratulations to another failure attempt of instigating problems in China by the CIA. The foreign press was really disappointed that nothing happend on the streets of China, no violence, no bloodshed, no revolution and they were thristed for chinese blood to advance their own career very much like their own hypocrite politians, trying to creat something out of nothing. "Oh Man! No piles of death bodies and river of blood? What are we going to report? How are we going to answer to our boss at CNN?" I just love how they always like to send Asian descent reporters who's probably completely illiterate in chinese for such projects, as if she or he could speak for the people in China, but then again it's CNN, How much truth can one expect from such paparazzi agency? After all it's all about entertainment and rating.

February 28, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  64. snowmountain

Usual vapid comments by the 50 cent brigade. China is still run by "thugs and goons". Why anyone is doing business with this repressive, brainwashed society is beyond me.

February 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  65. ThreeLaughs

Give me smartphones or give me death!

February 28, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
  66. shengart

Roger Rabbit wrote:
    "Don't be so upset...it is not as if they were regular people, they are only chinese....they have another couple of hundred years to go before they are civilized:"

@Roger Rabbit
    My condolence if you were abandoned by your chinese mailman father, How could he be so irresponsible? To bring such a mentaly defected sub human like you into this world? How could he be so irresponsible to the human race?
    WAS ABORTION A OPTION FOR HIM?

February 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  67. Frank Robinson

In China word of a communist military dictator is the law of the land.

February 28, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  68. mwensjoe

why does this seem new to anyone?

February 28, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
  69. owen

Visit China, spend some time there and meet the people, I have been doing that since 1980. Much more reliable than relying on news editors who need to manufacture a story to get the ratings.

February 28, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  70. Bankole

This old system of government by the chinese is not palatable. China would not survive if it continues like this.

February 28, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  71. stone

I think it's easy for Chinese understand why the government has done this kind of thing for western media, because they always bad and negative things of China. I don't feel sorry for the reporters either. For any country, they have their own problem, and they have their own solution and way to go, i hope for someone just stand away, it's not your business. i think US got a lot of problem as well and more than any country.

March 1, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  72. marianne

The US and the European Union need to stop bowing their heads to China, out of fear of missing out of a market of 1.3 billion slaves (because yes, that is exactly what Chinese workers are). Our democracies our not perfect, I know, but we are open societies where abuse of power is ultimately punished. In China, abuse of power is an official policy. We can not be complicit in this. I say we start boycotting companies like Apple, that boasts being the 2nd biggest company in the world, but has achieved that only because it pays chinese workers 10 dollars for each iPad that is manufactured but then sells them to Americans at 500-800 dollars.

March 1, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  73. kenny hsu

how terrified and paranoid you are, big Red. change is coming your way.

March 1, 2011 at 1:01 am |
  74. michael

China is a COMMUINIST COUNTRY!! Plain and simple.Time to get rid of this Communist Country NOW!
    Where is General George S. Patton! He would say lets go kick some Commie Butt!!!
    COMMUNISM = OPPRESSION!!!

STOP BUYING MADE IN CHINA PRODUCTS!!!

March 1, 2011 at 1:28 am |
  75. Chen Laifa

CNN should know that it is very unpopular in China. Heard of the anti-CNN website? Most Chinese in China and overseas will not forget how CNN had twisted facts about Tibet in 2008 so as to demonize China. Photos of Nepalese soldiers battling misguided and undiscerning Tibetan dissidents in Nepal were captioned as those of the PLA bullying the Tibetans. When Wikileaks had much damaging news about the USA government and its hypocrisy, CNN would not publish any of it unless it could get the approval of the American government. Press freedom is selective as far as CNN is concerned, but demonizing China and glorifying the USA underpins its editorial policy.

March 1, 2011 at 2:07 am |
  76. PC

Latest breaking news :

There will be another round of "Jasmine Revolution" walkabout this coming Sunday. Starring :-

Demonstrators : Eunice Yoon, her Korean friends
    Reporters : Steve Engle & other camera-wielding western media monkeys
    Supporting cast : Chinese policemen
    Audience : the ever-curious Chinese

Shouting slogan :-
    "Rights to instigate riot in the name of free press"
    "China should break into pieces"
    "Democratic rights to riot"
    "Western media is the truth"........with fine print reading : even though on and off we do sensationalise issue and pasting the wrong photos to spice up the issue, we got no choice, otherwise our news won't sell and we will be out of jobs, sorry if someone have to die so long as it is not our family.

March 1, 2011 at 3:16 am |
  77. achun

Our government do well i think.I m a chinese.Go back your home quickly ,guy.China do not welcome you.

March 1, 2011 at 3:30 am |
  78. AC

Why you guys so interested this kind thing, which only a few Chinese people interested?
    I really feel those CNN journalists are always with a colorful eyeglass. Through they are reported the news in China, but don’t know Chinese culture.

March 1, 2011 at 4:28 am |
  79. Jim

Was Anderson Cooper there, and if so, did his hair get mussed?

March 1, 2011 at 4:37 am |
  80. Walk upright already

Umm, hello? CNN moderators . . . anybody out there? I understand that the neanderthals have their right to spout off like everyone else, but would you please enforce your own terms of service and remove the openly racist posts?

March 1, 2011 at 4:37 am |
  81. Frank

freedom and democracy will never ever happened in China. China has the largest population in the world, 13 trillion, think about it. Authority government is definitely needed in this country to control the people and keep the country in peace. BTW, why cnn always repot negative news about China. Afraid of China is going to be the next world superpower and leader?

March 1, 2011 at 5:01 am |
  82. ddpppd

Hundreds of foreign journalists anticipated the “uprising in China”, and American Ambassador just bass by. What a joke.

March 1, 2011 at 6:46 am |
  83. Bill

It seems unfortunate for you and your producer, but should we really be surprised by this? If you can't handle minor harressment (especially by Beijing standards) and feel the need to write a full page story with nothing other than detailing how you were unable to do the job you're paid to do, then maybe you shouldn't be a field reporter.

March 1, 2011 at 7:15 am |
  84. Doug

Zack: "Why do we have this belief that democracy is the only way to manage a country? Why do we want to 'evangelize' democracy to the world?" You're right, why don't we ask the Chinese people what they want.. Oh wait, that would be democracy.

March 1, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  85. R.Chen

I've saw in a chinese newspaper (taiwan?) that the US smbassador to china by the name of Jon Huntsman was caught on video in some anti-dissident sting operation at a designated rallying area. A chinese man approached and asked if he, Jon Huntsman wanted to see chaos in china, but the ambassador apparently realized what he was in for and walked away.

What's more interesting was that CNN or Associated Press asked the chinese foreign ministry if they believed Jon Huntsman was there by coincidence, and the spokesman said that they didn't have details on the incident, although a white house spokesperson said that Jon Huntsman was there by coincidence only. I think it's very sad we're doing all this to undermine china's progress and solidarity, then try to convince patriotic chinese citizens of the veracity of this white house statement calls for "freedom and democracy".

March 1, 2011 at 7:49 am |
  86. Doug

Time to yank their chains. Stop all food exports to China and to any other counties that sell food to China.

March 1, 2011 at 9:29 am |
  87. manu

China has this dedication and discipline. That is why china is china. western world looks foolish commenting on china. these town sized countries will never understand how a single countries with ten of billion population can be managed. these stupid journalist were treated that they deserved.

March 1, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  88. Wiliam

The so-called "journalists" are to blame. BTW, why is it always "China" that is blamed when local police are rough? It's like saying the United States government cracked down on the rioters in Chicago 68. Anybody who has ever actually visited Wanfujing plaza knows it is like 2 miles long, and is always blocked 24/7 every day. Americans are addicted to their bias against China and always will be, so this is just another example.

March 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  89. jack wei

sbuxguy

February 28, 2011 at 11:05 am |

That is right " You do indeed show a side of China... it would just be nice for you to actually report the other side as well."

March 2, 2011 at 2:59 am |
  90. jack wei

Doug

March 1, 2011 at 9:29 am |

It's extremely ignorant to "stop food exports to China " he almost can make and have much of food on his own,while export everything to the rest of the world . so its nt a effective way .guys , you should learn more about China in order to help Chinese people out of the dictatorship .

March 2, 2011 at 3:17 am |
  91. Roxy Wu

China is a large country with many complex issues, and according to Chinese government's official records there were over 10,000 protests in China last year. Which means there are, on average, dozens of protests going on in China on daily basis- this is not unlike what is happening in the United States or any other large countries.

What is strange about this "Jasmine Revolution" in China is that Western reporters seems to know in advance exactly all the protest schedules of in any Chinese cities, but yet there were very little domestic Chinese participation. By CNN reporter Eunice Yoon's own admission, there were no protesters at all at the Beijing protest, only a bunch of Western reporters:

And only 20 people showed up in a Hong Kong protest (Hong Kong is considered one of the freest cities in the world):

This has caused many people to wonder what are those Western reporters' roles in the Jasmine Revolution, what are their motives, and who is funding their operations?

March 2, 2011 at 5:06 am |
  92. wow

"One of the men took my press card and refused to give it back until I wrested it out of his hands. I demanded that he show me his ID badge and he did eventually – while covering his name with his thumb." – can you imagine a reporter does this in New York City? He will be dead by now. These are all one-sided story, but this little detail shows what's really going on – the journalists have no respect to the law enforcement.

March 2, 2011 at 8:18 am |
  93. I love C

@I hate C
    Please be understand that not Chinese government bothers other countries, but the other countries bother China. Like U.S
    But I can understand why you say Chinese government bothers Japan, Korea. Coz they are the dogs of U.S.

March 2, 2011 at 8:22 am |
  94. I love C

@jasmine
    You WTF

March 2, 2011 at 8:25 am |
  95. Chn

God bless you.
    They do this because they are afraid.

March 2, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  96. ProChina

China is no longer that powerless country that would allow "eight nation allies" to invade her. China is a giant in the international scene – and the destiny of the world relies on how China sneezes. If China sneezes too hard, the world will catch a cold.

March 3, 2011 at 6:02 am |
  97. plot

The jasmine revolution in China is clearly a political sabotage using hi-tech communication tools to disrupt China, like in Arab region. How hypocritical and self-righteous it is!

March 3, 2011 at 6:05 am |
  98. US style

Does US want to have a "Jasmine" Revolution? Why you US guy doing is regarded as the rule for world? US is colonized place, your place belongs to Local Indians group. Your ancester is prisoners of former UK. US history is a histroy occupying other people. Do you know US history , and what are they doing now– Eunice Yoon?

March 3, 2011 at 6:29 am |
  99. US style

China has 1350000000 people. Chinese people now is doing their best for this life. We have our owe ideas, thinking style, we do not fear any threaten from you US contry, We love our contry.
    Do you mean you want us common people now to give up everything to go to street for meaningless protest? If US govenment pay each Chinese people US$200 a day as salary - prepaid 1 year only. We will follow your US calls to go to street? Eunice Yoon, please pass this information to your Present and your govenment. thanks.

March 3, 2011 at 6:37 am |
  100. David Liu

While China's economy has been booming in the past 20 years, its human rights has actually gone backwards, worse than the days of 1989, evidentially very uncivilized. Even without any protest, civilians and journalists still get detained or even beaten up just because they are walking down the streets of Beijing. In fact, I would say its rulers are simply gangsters dressed in suites. However, long gone the days our president would come out and criticizes the unethical Communist Party (dictators). Why? It's because China has so much money on the table we don't dare to piss them off anymore.

March 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  101. jeffwang

well, reading CNN china news these days, i can summarise in this way:
    chinese call for protest.....sorry mate, no protest to report – then make one... it goes...reporters harrassed by police..there you go...beaten up by police.. hey wait, did you see anyone got beaten? we've got no photo, mate....easy, let's make it this way..' several reportedly beaten...' you can't say i'm wrong, coz i really heard it, did i?

March 4, 2011 at 3:53 am |
  102. mike from china

To be a chinese myself, i feel sorry for this country. I really hate this government.
    Now u guys should understand chinese government has two totally defferent sides.
    a hypocritical government will never get support from its people.
    BTW, try easyrecovery or something like that. it can recover your data even your
    memory card has been formatted or re-writed. i look forward to your pics.

March 4, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  103. tenix

exclusive, opperesive, and corrupt, China needs another Mao Ze Dong to overthrew the present authortities

March 5, 2011 at 6:00 am |
  104. waley hu

i am chinese and i dont like the government,either. but i dont think all the comments here are right. you only know the dark side of china. all of you should shut up till you really read some books on china

March 5, 2011 at 6:40 am |
  105. waley hu

by the way, some people say china is always bothering japan.tha is not the case.japanese killed so many chinese without committing the crime or any apology,besides, the shameless country wants to claim soverenty over the islands which are ours, japanese are just bitches who look like a polite nation, they are so fake.

March 5, 2011 at 6:45 am |
  106. waley hu

as for the pollution, in the past europe and U.S. caused lots of pollution, and then they knew the consequences and decided to set up factories in china to produce goods for them. and they keep blaming on china. is it fair?all i wanna say is that before you judge a country, you should know about its history and other sides.

March 5, 2011 at 6:51 am |
  107. Vincent Gao

Nothing has happened in China as you and the US ambassador to China are craving for. .
    1.Obey the laws and regulations of that country where you are in. When in Rome, do as the Romans do
    2. Tunnel vision will get you nowhere. Actually, Chinese are more open-minded than the US. Just imagine how many people in china are trying to learn a foreign language, whereas, how many Americans bother to learn a foreign language?
    3. CNN is rejected by almost every Chinese. Anti-CNN website is just a vivid example.
    4. The US will never be on the highground again to teaching the world about human rights. Take a look at the Wikileaks, the wars in the mideast? Don't forget about the weapons you supplied to these countries.

March 5, 2011 at 6:54 am |
  108. Andrew

Yes, the authorities are rough and unrefined around the edges, but I truly do not believe this is a reflection of the Chinese people. Just like any other ethnic group, we should not judge one based on the actions of those in power because we know those with power are more prone to corruption and ill-will.

March 5, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
  109. Mel

If safety of journalists in China is a concern, why not take satellite photos instead?

March 5, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  110. 群山揽月

western is god?no,i don't think so.the chinese people needs you help?we are suffering a lot?don't read a book by its cover!just look the country by your eyes!not by cnn

March 6, 2011 at 8:44 am |
  111. Huang Jeson

why the CNN journalists know something happen there? I think someone organize and inform them, and I'm not sure whether CNN participant that

March 8, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  112. ari5

"What makes China's treatment of the international press so bewildering is that there had been no protests for us to cover here. Not that the government should be treating foreign journalists this way under any circumstances, but the authorities have been lashing out with such severity in an attempt to intimidate us even though we have nothing to report. All we would have done this weekend was shown that the streets of Beijing were perfectly peaceful and gone home."
    Why do you insist on putting the spotlight on China? It is a no brainer that your intent is obviously parsimonious with the aim of yourself getting a glorified scoop at the expense of whipping up a sensationalized non event to the detriment of locals while you stay at 5 star hotels and scoot hme when when events go out of control leaving the loals to their fate. That's what you are. A mouthpiece and a tool of Washington's vovert attempt to destabilize China. Your selective choice of words andphrases, including Jaime Flor's selective description of a goverment that is "jittery" when a better word "prudent" could had been used, are all highly questionable. You work – meaning you take money – for a news network that has close ties with the US government, and you take orders from your editors. So, you are just a soldier of fortune, a mercenary. in a media war like these, the local Chinese citizens – whether they be police professionals or otherwise – have every right to shoot you. Almost every Chinese know now that your news item is intended to show the Chinese government in a negative light in every way possible no matter their performance is regarded with satisfaction by more than 80% of the population. Truly, just who are you to pass moral judgement and villify? The day when the Chinese of their own volition rise up in unrest and revolution, then only you may pass judgement. But before that happens, please shut up and stop meddling. Like LKY used to say, you are not an elected goverrnment, so what right have you to try and influence the overthrow of any local ments? Why don't you focus on influencing the overthrow of your government by frquently focussing on your native Indian population and how your white forbears forcibly killed and murered them and took their land away? Wy don't you refuse to comply with Washsington's "request" for once? Your omission og selected news or news items and inclusion of selected news items, are extremely glaring.

March 9, 2011 at 3:16 am |
  113. Monsterzzz

Surprised that there was no protest? Not a surprise to any Chinese, we are not interested in any "revolution", at least not at present.
    Of course it's easy for you Americans to say that China needs revolution and everything, because none of you really need to move your asses to China and experience the "revolution", which means chaos, fighting, blood, death. If you are not ready to stand in the front line, how dare you try to drive others to the front line?
    And a question to Eunice: will you go to Times Square and report "nothing happens here today" just because you receive an anonymous tip-off? If you do, I'd really like to see your "nothing happens" coverage; and if you do not, what on earth were you doing in Beijing?

March 9, 2011 at 8:30 am |
  114. Renee Zhang

Most western journalists seem to wish to find as many protesters in China as they can. What an intesting mentality! Actually in China, there's few protests. I don't mean all Chinese live a very happy life. Most Chinese think it no need to protest, with they are not used to. They are easy to be satisfied. Of course, some want to protest but dare nott. In any country, there will be some people not satisfied or even angry with their own country and government. No need put so much attention on China's protests.

Personally, I feel ashamed of the police. There's no need to worry about foreign journalists if they do nothing wrong. Hope China's freedom of speech and broadcasting is coming soon.

March 10, 2011 at 5:29 am |
  115. xin

The jounalists deserve it.

March 10, 2011 at 6:55 am |
  116. Ken

Shame on the Communist Party!

Again, I am Chinese, I love my country not the disgusting government!

So just slam the government alone please!

March 10, 2011 at 9:46 am |
  117. casey

There are tons of low quality journalists who have to dig whatever to make a living. They are like ambulance chasing lawyers. In the 19th century so many missionaries worked as undercover agents for the imperialists.

March 10, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  118. casey

In this case CNN crew are ambulance chasers

March 11, 2011 at 1:53 am |
  119. james

Yoon should be reporting for CNN USA not CNN International. Her views are pro-western. She is writing for western audiences, very obviously. She should have known better before going in there; she deserved what she got. Jaime Florcruz was a better Beijing CNN correspondent.

March 11, 2011 at 8:11 am |
  120. pennstation

eunice luck to air blog on CNN web. I will pay my tribute to this brave pro. thank lenient cops in uniform and in plainclothes.

March 11, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  121. GBush3

If the event never happened, then why is CNN covering "it"? Was CNN and the US ambassador there to instigate an event?

March 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  122. Map

The Times said it best....
    EARTHQUAKE IN CHINA....NOT MANY KILLED...
    Let the Chinese sort it out...when they grow up...

March 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  123. not big on democracy

March 14, 2011 at 11:34 am |
  124. Helen Tun

Most people who commented about the Chinese government should actually make a trip to China and see for themselves some of the overeating and publicity stunt foreign journalists are like. It is kind of scary how people who read into these journalism actually believes the things that are written here. I do not mean going to the nice and beautiful everything you see in the big cities but to travel inland and see for yourselves the Uyghur, Mongolian and Tibetan suppression that is mentioned so much and so big.

Everyone should go and see for themselves the history and speak to the natives and everyone else about the issue the Dalai Lama-s and Kadeer-s have created. Speak also to the many foreigners staying in China and get their stories.

It is not expensive to fly over there and backpack your way or even stay there to live among the people.

By the way, I am Asian but not Chinese.... It is very sad to see respectable journalist and news sites turning wild to generate readers which is why you just don't read one news-stand but look at other journalism especially those from the native regions.

March 15, 2011 at 4:40 am |
  125. TU

You American just think of yourselvers,maybe the police think you of terrorists. You should thank them not shooting you, for happening in America, you may be dead!

March 15, 2011 at 4:56 am |
  126. TU

Although I think our gov has more to be better, but I think everything has its reason.
    Just like this topic, layed on the same site as the Japan's earthquake, and you call this
    international important events? Why not pay more attention on other more important things.
    You western media are so hypocritical. Do not think we know nothing about the world.
    In these years, how many civilians were killed by your army all around the world?
    Your president should be sent to International Court of Justice. But we all know it is impossilbe
    because know the court is yours, hehe!

March 15, 2011 at 5:25 am |
  127. Chigong

@"not big on democracy:Yeah, china is odd about that. Tienanmen square weird. They think shooting students that protest is the right thing to do. Their people live in fear of their government and are scared to live freely. They are still oppressed evidently."

No. Shooting at the students is absolutely wrong. But what is wierd is that the same topic can hang on on CNN's web site headline area for so long (almost 22 years now) and yet is treated as fresh news. Whenever, whatever they report about China, they almost never forget inserting in a side note referring to this topic. On the other hand, the news about the American atrocities around the world, Gitamo, the killing (dileberately or by mistake) of innouncent civilians in Afganistan and other atrocities leaked by WiKi Leak, would not even survive for more than a week. Just a question to you, only if you are American, how do you feel that, if for every new item about the USA, we insert a side note to remind you of the genocide on the American Native Indians or remind you of your dark history of abducting the black people from Africa and making them and their children slaves? It would be fun to see your reactions.

March 16, 2011 at 12:17 am |
  128. Chris

Every goverment is same. USA show more democracies. So Wikileaks show us.

March 16, 2011 at 4:50 am |
  129. princess

Why are people always comaparing China's behaviour with Western democracy? Just because the citizen can freely capture photos and videos does not mean they are truly free- why condemn Chinese people? Do you Westerners think if you're democratic, then why does evry othe company in the world has to suffer because your multinational companies decided to go global? Isn't that bureaucratic in nature? Forcing many people to close shop and become regular workers because Western companies say they will get your economy. So don't condemn other race based on what you see- look closer and study first what you want to say and know if it is relevant.

March 16, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  130. princess

Why are people always comaparing China's behaviour with Western democracy? Just because the citizen can freely capture photos and videos does not mean they are truly free- why condemn Chinese people? Do you Westerners think if you're democratic, then why does evry othe company in the world has to suffer because your multinational companies decided to go global? Isn't that bureaucratic in nature? Forcing many people to close shop and become regular workers because Western companies say they will get your economy. So don't condemn other races based on what you see- look closer and study first what you want to say and know if it is relevant.

March 16, 2011 at 7:36 am |
  131. journo

Princess, get out of your pillow castle and wake up to the world. Harassing journalists is wrong. Period. I lived in China for many many years. I am no stranger to the east, so you can't label me according to your uneducated prejudice. Once the light of freedom of the press is gone, information that helps people make better decisions with their lives is gone. Is it the truth? Yes. Is it important to the public? Yes. The problem is, the more truth that comes out, the worse it gets. That's a sign that people are not happy. So people will do what they have to do to get happy. Princess, you are one of millions of self-important little twits that infest China's middle class. I have seen your fat, ugly and dumb face before.

March 16, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  132. Papa

Welcome to China, the PDHs or PHDs, permanently damaged in the head or those who suffer from Permanent Head Damage, get what you deserved and get your ass out of this nation!

March 17, 2011 at 3:00 am |
  133. Papa

Any new media censors posts or feedbacks just as any government would do, you can't lie about this.

March 17, 2011 at 3:01 am |
  134. Papa

Not harnessed, properly taken care of, you should say.

March 17, 2011 at 5:12 am |
  135. Papa

There you go! One of the post disappeared. No better than what you term as an "authoritarian government", that's what CNN is.

March 17, 2011 at 5:42 am |
  136. anonymous

Sounds much like whining to me from the journalists. If there is no protest to be reported then it's even more suspicious to be hanging around there in the first place! It takes no rocket scientist to figure out that. The police are obviously there to keep law and order, and apparently they are not taking any risks and checks out and removes everyone that is remotely suspicious, some call it harassing, other call it superbly efficient policing. So CNN journalists stop whining, it comes with the job, if you want the first scoop, then you accept the risks, don't come back crying if it all doesn't turn out the way you wanted it.

March 17, 2011 at 8:58 am |
  137. Risa D

When you try to create a topic, you should first deeply understand the situation and background of such matter. When something happened which would disturb the day to day life of a normal civilian, beside there were probably nothing useful could ever come out of it.why were you doing it? As a qualified journalist(I hope so!) where is your extraordinary sence for the news? Where is your professional ethics? Any police anywhere in the world could probably do the same to keep the peace and stability of the society. Would you? And the Japanese people need all the attentions and love from all over the world right now, why don't you write something nice and encourage for them? For the 50 "die hard " workers? Shame on you as a probably second generation Asian American?

March 17, 2011 at 9:46 pm |
  138. Jarison

That's why so many Chinese like to leave China.

March 18, 2011 at 3:28 am |
  139. jz

Looking deep into too your heart and tell me you weren't there "hoping" or even "creating" news. And please tell me you are not secrately preying that China would be just like Libya, so your face will be on every tv screen globally. You people shown up the places before anything happened and waited cameras in hands, just in case your cameras would attract a few spinable images to feed the west public, after been warned, repeatedly and publically not to doing so. Yes, now you got your name out and hopefully your job is more secured at this not so hot job market, you wouldn't care anything else as long as your got your story. You were not required to help chinese keep social orders, so it goes both ways.

March 18, 2011 at 8:01 am |
  140. eris

learn to be professional

March 18, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  141. od

is this your assignment. we all know how authoritarian regime handles journalists. honey what do u expect? we are more interested to know what happen to the citizen. not your whining. journalists should expect what they will get. next time write something new. if u still feel miserable get a new job or hobby

March 18, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  142. misty santana

It is with sorrow that even in such devastation to its people that the Police force of Japan would be so repugnant and act in violence to the World Media. Will they then be seeking assistance from Countries around the World to assist their people! I was in a Japanese restaurant yesterday and saw and felt such sorrow in the eyes and faces and the beings of the Servers there. We are in Canada. When an immense disaster happens in any Country it shakes all of us around the World. We are from the human family and in that we are not isolated from what happens elsewhere. Imagine being those people! The human fall out and the actual poisonus emmissions from this Nuclear Disaster will be far reaching! Are we all doing rethink about this as a source of energy! I hope so. misty santana

March 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  143. Observer

Trying to brew a storm in a tea cup what a joke. Isn't CCN a CIA outfit, i am afraid many Bahrain being kill by US allied the saudi

March 19, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  144. Observer

Of course police should do there job, I mean journalis alway do the bad new, feeding on somebody else suffering. get a life

March 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  145. Jun

i do believe that china is doing everything that is beneficial to china. it is a communist country. let us respect them with that. it is not the place for cnn or the usa to meddle in china's affair. okay there is a protest, why do you know about it if you are not involved? i do feel that that is very suspicious of you being there if you are just reporting. the thing is usa wants to be number one 5-10 years from now. and it cannot be without having democracy everywhere. well, there is a saying that nobody can have their cake and eat it too. so be happy that china dont make you leave of their country.

March 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  146. Pedro Jesus

@ Journalists involved: I hope you are aware that, providing you don't record anything else on the same tapes, every bit of information that has been deleted is easily retrievable by an expert with specific, although quite affordable, equipment. It would be very useful to restore that material and allow the US Gov to use it as evidence against the Government of China as well as broadcast it through CNN. If more and more evidence is collected and shown to the public China will be forced to change their ways.

March 21, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
  147. To get accustomed

The CCP is treating foreign jounalist like this,think about how they handle its subjects

March 22, 2011 at 3:53 am |
  148. grahame

i am chinese, when i am reading the comments ,i just feel so funny. you all don't konw chinese people, and all comments for us,i looks you all want to help to liberate chinese. but do you ask " do we chinese need your help".

March 22, 2011 at 4:50 am |
  149. k1dson

welcome to China.

March 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  150. jkk

HAHAHA people, mind your own f business. i am an american and i have lived in china for years, you really can't say the chinese are ignorant. they know exactly what their government is like, and they've found a way to deal with it and live their live under the control, as a result they are doing well (mostly economic-wise). i can say every chinese i've met is happy with their government, (and in fact many don't), but when it comes to the choice declare a war to the authority and having millions of killed or behave and make money, they choose the 2nd. my point is this really is none of your businesses, they have a bad government, so what? is it the reason to piss us off and maybe potentially send our troops there and make a government that WE like??

March 23, 2011 at 1:16 am |
  151. Betty

The Chinese are going backwards ever since the end of the Olympic Games. They love to blame other countries for their own mistakes. Plus they're getting even more racist.

March 23, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  152. Darrin

It is time the world united and stood up against the Chinese Government and its degrading & barbaric attitude to the rest of civilization, if every country where to inject more resources into their own industries. This would then allow development of their own economic structure, thus being less reliable on China.

March 26, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
  153. jones

china will be the biggest headache for the united states and asean countries. they want to control everything from inside and outside of china. democracy will never prosper in china. if ever there will be war in asia, it will be china who will start it. right now china is bullying japan, vietnam, and the the philippines.

March 28, 2011 at 4:40 am |
  154. gdslove

am a chinese ,i can understand ,because this is china ,it's ordinary in china,what can we say ,what can we do ?history choosed the Communist Party ,he gave chinese people tomorrow ,an chinese people followed him 、whatever happens ,the Communist Party is great 。but someday it not welcomed by the chinese people ,he will disappear ,so i think is the furniture is better !i love my country ,dragon is not cat !

March 29, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  155. kash

i really condemn CHINA's acts.this day, 3 OF MY PATRIOTS was executed by THEM. it is not right to take lives of people even in any reason.. you are not GODS of this world so stop acting as one. UNITED NATION SHOULD TAKE A STEP!.i feel sorry to the journalist.

March 30, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  156. ss

This journalist has peas for brain and zero respect for the rules of her host country. Of course the Chinese govt is trying to avoid magnification of a "Jasmine Revolution", since this is sensationalism created thru Western media. I'm an American expat living in Beijing and have been for the last five years. As far as most people can tell, this "revolution" is hype and to allow CNN and other sensationalists to make this into a big story is quite pathetic. I looked throughout CNN to see if they featured any story about how Hu Jin Tao has criticized the Libyan airstrikes and the allied forces' use of violence....NOTHING! But yet, China is always portrayed as a a powerful and hard handed aggressor building up military forces. People need to open up their eyes and not judge by what the media says. Experience it first hand and you may see something positive that those people actually living in China see.

March 31, 2011 at 3:58 am |
  157. drcid777

SS et al are in fantasyland. Vitriolic criticism of the U.S. government runs daily in the media on all subjects. Two individuals were just released by the CCP from prison about ten days ago after serving sentences of 8 and 11 years. Their crime? Going on-line like many of us do here and talking about a leadership change for their country. The same thing the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner sits in prison for right now. The CCP still clears parks and public areas with secret police at the hint of public dissention. In all ways but economic or scientific, the CCP still sits in 1955. In 2011, all art galleries across China have been vacuumed clean of any criticism of the ruling party. Google was created in the U.S., the CCP tried to crush it. No wonder. Google, Facebook, Twitter and the internet were all created in the U.S. and all played a part in bring down the dictatorships in Egypt and Tunisia. There is no comparison between CCP ruled China and the U.S. People across the world are beginning to demand more control over the governments who control them. 60 years doesn't equal 5000. The CCP doesn't own China

April 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  158. drcid777

Yeah, it's "sensationalism" that the CCP clears all parks and public squares at the hint of dissention. It's "sensationalism" that the CCP beat, imprisoned and killed their own citizens for going outside and doing peaceful breathing and motion exercises, and you can bet would do it in 2011. It's "western media bias" that is the reason the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner sits in jail in China. No, the reason has been the same since 1951, no one is allowed to challenge the CCP premise that they are the most brilliant minds of the 1.3 billion people when it comes to running the country, and any public discussion disagreeing with this is met with prison time or death, except now they are arresting citizens for doing what most of us have done on the boards here, going on-line and asking for a leadership change for our country. People around the world now want more control over the governments that control them.
    Google was ceated in the U.S., the CCP tries to crush it. 60 years doean't equal 5000. The CCP doesn't own China.
    Godspeed to The Jasmine Revolution.

April 3, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  159. drcid777

CNN- I thought you abrogated my first post so I sent another similar one- sorry

April 3, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  160. manuel

Since there is no real Jasmine protests, why detain the journalists? Let them see there is nothing, then they go home. What's the problem?

Following faulty news leads is not grounds for harassment in any country. This kind of muckracking, true or not, happens every single day in the US. If China wants to make itself look evil, then this is the way to do it.

April 3, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  161. hillper

i want to know about the world outside of china. what we can know from china's report is that the government is good and out country is powerful

April 4, 2011 at 5:11 am |
  162. Jeff

It seems from some of the racist commentators here (don't worry, it's only the Chinese, it's not like they're civilised etc.) that we're all as bad as each other. There but for the grace of God.

April 4, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
  163. hid

Welcome you to China, to look at the now China, China a sayings: seeing is believing, ears ~!

Everybody have each view, ethnic cultures customs between life down there was light came out

Advocate everyone equal love earth live good you behave decades lighting ~!

Chinese love the world, love peace

April 5, 2011 at 4:36 am |
  164. hid

China is too deep in history, have to prevent damage.

April 5, 2011 at 4:40 am |
  165. hid

I just China an ordinary family, China now achievement, is to rely on oneself, arduous struggle out! Though the United States are developed, people's equality. If there really is alien invasion or the end of the world. We don't know the global solidarity? Hope you think well ha ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ if you can develop can peace two countries combined again how.

April 5, 2011 at 4:48 am |
  166. Eddy

Eunice, Are you Chinese?

April 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  167. hid

Yes, I am a Chinese. Welcome to China. See the real China, look at China's current society. Free to see CCTV English channel.

April 6, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  168. Cliff

Dont be so “ cnn ” as a common people.

April 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  169. Moveon

you guys stage protests in my country.obviously you want us become a second USSR.I live in this country for 21 yaers,but I do not feel any regime.Just bacause the media like cnn describe the country to be a regime,it is the part of there job,but do you want others or enemies to divide you country??the police are doing there job to keep unity of the nation!

April 9, 2011 at 4:10 am |
  170. AA

I am a chinese,just a student.I think the government is not good.If I want to do something,like access twitter ,or to know something,like "Tunisia-style "Jasmine Revolution" in China" ,I cannot.I only can try it with VPN or some other things.
    I do not believe the government,it always block some information,not only the Internet,but also some things like "sanlu" or "shou rou jing".For "harmony",we have to lose something even our health.
    I want everyone to see the real "China".

April 9, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  171. TT

中国是一个民主国家
    China is a democratic country

1:中国共产党历史奋斗目标,就是建立一个人民当家做主的共同富裕的社会主义国家。人民当家做主,就是人民民主。
    1: the Chinese communist party history is to set up a goal, the people are the masters of the common prosperity of socialist countries. The people are the masters, is people's democracy.

2:中国近几年,领导人实行定期更迭,取消了个人指定接班人,实行了中共中央委员会集体讨论,党代会投票表决。个人可以为党和国家培养干部,但能否成为接班人,需要中央委员会及各地方党的委员会集体决定,党代会投票表决。还要报请人大会议人民代表再次讨论表决。
    2: China in recent years, leaders change regularly shall be designated successor, cancelled a personal, instituting the group discussions, the central committee of the communist party congress, a vote. Individuals can for the party and state, but can become cultivating cadre successor, need central committee and all local party committee collective decision, congress vote. Also submitted to the people's congress of the people's representatives talk again about voting.

3:中国现有体制,不可能产生个人独裁政权,也不可能产生世袭王朝。党内不会答应,人民不会答应。
    3: China's existing system, will not create personal dictatorship, also could not produce hereditary dynasty. The party won't promise, people are not the answer.

4:人民有表达意志的权利和途径,有权决定自己的领导人。
    4: people have the rights and ways to express his will, has the right to decide their own leaders.

5:人民言论自由有保证,网上各种言论,各种意志的表达,都不会受到追究。但不能造谣,不能弄虚作假,不能诽谤他人。
    5: people's freedom of speech is guaranteed, online various speech, various will expression, wouldn't be investigated. But cannot rumor, cannot fraud, cannot be defamatory.

以此,可以断定,中国是一个民主国家。
    So, can conclude that China is a democratic country.

但中国的民主还是很不够的。
    But China's democracy is not enough.

1:还有一些领导,违反民意,弄虚作假,霸道作风,个人独断专行。
    1: there are some leadership, violating public opinion, deception, bossy style, personal gangsterism.

2:人大代表的选举,个别党的领导就是个人指定候选人,老百姓选也得选,不选也得选。
    2: the election of deputies to the National People's Congress, individual party leadership is individual candidates, people choose also designated to choose, don't choose also get elected.

3:还有党委书记卖人大代表资格,许多富豪老板当选为人大代表,都是有钱,买来的。
    3: and secretary of the party committee of National People's Congress qualification, many sell billionaires was elected to the National People's Congress, the boss is rich, buy.

4:个别政府领导,不接受人大代表否决和罢免,抓捕投反对票人大代表的事件时有发生,得不到公正处理。
    4: individual government leadership, not to the NPC veto and dismiss, capturing vote of congress incidents, no fair treatment.

5:还有个别领导,对网民自由表达的观点,不符合自己的意愿,就耿耿于怀,听不得人民的批评。
    5: and individual leadership, the freedom of expression of the Internet perspective, not accord with his will; it is still smarting from the TingBuDe people, criticism.

中国要建立一个人民当家做主的民主国家,要走的路还很长,而且更加紧迫。
    China should establish a the people are the masters of democratic countries, a long way to go, and more urgent.

我们也在学习中,也在发展中,你们西方国家也不重头开始的吗~
    We also in the study, also in development, you western countries are not start over? ~

你们不要把眼光停留在 中国50年代 60年代。
    You don't put the eye fixations in China in the 1960s in the 1950s.

April 10, 2011 at 3:24 am |
  172. ENGINEER JAMES DADA ORUWA

Criticism is the act of criticising someone who has done wrong. I saw on BBC WEBSITE on China criticising the United States Of America. It said that the U.S should stop using human rights as a way to intervened in other countires affairs.
    The Chinese should know that the Americans are the only superpower in the world.
    They are the only world police in free and fair,justice. The Chinese should look what is going on around the world ranging from bad governance,tyrannism,dictatorship,oppression to terrorism.They should know that this world is in great danger.

Everybody does what he or she likes and say nobody is watching me.The world is in brink of another world-war.If it is not for the United States of America the whole world would have been fighting another world-war.

The chinese should always learn to appreciate the Americans and get heed to their call for the respect of human rights in their country.They stop human rights abuses.

They should know that without the United States of America the world will become a war worse zone. Americans should ride on with their human rights affairs throughout the whole -world. May God bless the United States Of America.

ENGINEER JAMES DADA ORUWA.

April 10, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  173. Jared

Just because you dont feel being oppressed does not mean no one is being maltreated around you...
    In the name of peace does not mean you have to silence the aggrieved person...
    Just because you have money now does not mean you have to look the other way when your neighbor is being beaten and rob. . . China do have a long history but it does not mean your culture is better. . .
    Remember Ai Weiwei. . . .

April 13, 2011 at 2:02 am |
  174. 公务猿

the society is more black than u report~ most of the old people have been brainwashed, especially rural people, coz the CCTV the state run media never tell the truth. Anyway, what is next step if we overthrow the goverment ? How could we assure the next goverment is not a shit one. After we figure it out, we will do it.

April 13, 2011 at 2:13 am |
  175. 公务猿

BTW never fully trust the media, u know what I mean?

April 13, 2011 at 2:15 am |
  176. S.C.Han

How to say.
    I did not believe our govement represent the will of Chinese people.

April 14, 2011 at 3:22 am |
  177. devil.west

U.S always thought itself as the god for the world, put your army everywhere to SAVE those poor people with killing those civilians. CNN is not a free media as you guys thought, remember, they server for those people have power. Stop put you wishes and wills to those people you think are poor and suffering. We have our way to resolve it, just think about how can stop your great president sent your brothers and sisters around the world to kill people pretending as the world police.

April 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  178. DA

Would love ti see if Julian Assange got ne thing on this !

April 17, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  179. TMS

There's seems to be alot of opinion thrown around here and most of them are bias and seemingly made without much thought. Both China and the US has committed abuses I don't think anyone of us can deny that ,
    US invaded Iraq without much intel some even suggested they falsified it, illegal CIA/FBI conduct(operation MK ULTRA, illegal tap wiring of US citizen)
    China has lots too , they restrict freedom of speech , freedom of religion with heavy censorship in media both television and internet ; notorious for arresting people "suspected" of dissent (often without solid evidence or using evidence obtained illegally) ; and of course who can forget Tienanmen Square and its aftermath( the massive cover up)

Looking it this way the two government seems to have much in common , and they are the same at the core those of you who thinks that any form of government(capitalist,communist,monarchy) would put ahead its people without abusing the power they are wield are downright delusional /ignorant or you just refuse to see the ugly truth(i suspect 99% of you fall under this category)

So what's my point? i mean if they are the same and all , yes they are alike with 1 different in key aspect. Under the assumption that all government will eventually abuse their power what's to stop them from doing so? Its ACCOUNTABILITY George W bush didnt walk scotts free he became a political leaper and perhaps one of the most hated man, the CIA and FBI did not just say "i am sorry" for their misconduct HEADS DO ROLL and THAT"S the real difference When government abuse power in US(as they already have) it is well known and someone will take responsibility for it , this discourage blatant abuse of power.
    meanwhile can we say the same about China ? does those government official participating in Tienanmen square massacre take responsibility? NO how about the wrongful arrest do they get punished for that? NO , WHEN THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILITY THE GOVERNMENT WILL DO AS THEY PLEASE , so all of you wake the fuck up

April 20, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  180. human

Do you really think CNN speak truth?

April 22, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  181. drcid777

Back to your state-run tv human

April 23, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  182. drcid777

Human- We all know that CCP TV is a bastion of truth

April 23, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  183. ThatsNotTrue:[

Geez, CNN, are you anti china or anti american with the many blogs about religon running your country, yet you can't stay out of other people's business, and when chritians can't worship in china you complain.....I'm confused. Sorry cnn, it's the same all over the world, stop trying to cause trouble in china, we aren't blood savages like the american governement with all their wars, and through our 5000+ years of history we know change comes within, that's why jasmine didn't work (only the past british colony hong kong had a small minority for it). IF YOU WANT ANOTHER LIBIA OR EGYPT YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE WRONG PLACE....MAYBE TRY TO CORRUPT THE IDIANS????&&& STOP WHINING IF YOU GOT INTO THE CIA OR SOME GOVERNEMENT RELATED PLACE OR TOP SECRET THING, I DOUBT THEY LET YOU FILM IT IN THE US.
    WHICH LEADS TO MY NEXT QUESTION, DO YOU KNOW ALL OF YOUR GOVERNMENT'S SECRET...OR ARE JUST BEING PAID BIG MONEY TO SHUT UP THE US AND FOCUS ON......THE NONE EVENTS IN CHINA?
    ps. people are beginning to see the TRUTH, and are the anti china people hired to make the comment since there's always some1 in your news stories saying that all the positive comments are hired chinese people.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
    Start studying taoism and buddhisim they are the main religons in china, we don't go for organized religons....look at how it corrupt your government, that's why christianity is a minor religon. &&& our religon tells us, to fix our self before we point at fingers at others. To the random bloggers who is just ranting in this blog, please listen to the comments telling you about china & not be so bias to your creditors who own 1-2 trillions of the US debt.
    &&& Like a hippie I'll say peace and cnn, please delete all of the discriminating comments on here....you know that they found where the UCLA and the "christian girl rant on tsunami" girls lived and other information.....unless you hired these people, well if you did don't be surprised if you get sued or something, kay. Just don't blame me....I warned you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  184. watuzi

Eunice, you exaggerated again.. Like all your previous reports and including latest one, on floods . you intentionally spun it,by using ' mass evacuation ' rather then rescue operation . And you also didn't report on numerous new public housing, in regards to Sichuan quake anniv.
    You didn't allow comments to be posted for this report in the vid page.

May 15, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
  185. metropolis

Лауреат конкурса домашних видео фильмов "Один день первоклашки"
    Дайте свою оценку, пожалуйста.

July 23, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
  186. icon designs

I agree with told all above. We can communciate on this theme.

hpixel

September 22, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
  187. webcam girls from Russia

Simply wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity on your post is just excellent and that i could assume you are knowledgeable in this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with impending post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please carry on the enjoyable work.

November 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
  188. ????

????????????[??:??]
    ???? http://www.jiaotongju.com/js/index.aspx

December 20, 2013 at 4:07 am |
  189. In home personal training Long Island

Theres no stopping it! The country will go democratic. The people will not stand for this type of ridiculousness.It may take a little more time to happen but good always prevails.Shame on the Chinese police and the Chinese government

January 10, 2014 at 10:59 pm |