June 7th, 2011
03:04 PM GMT

1. Martin Joergensen

Biking in CPH is a wonderful experience... everybody should try it. Next time you're in Copenhagen rent a bike (or use a citybike for free) and do some sightseeing.

June 10, 2011 at 8:55 am |
  2. Michael Duus

A fun fact: There are more bikes in Copenhagen than inhabitants. And it's not just in Copenhagen but in the entire country people are using theie bikes.

You can actually have a bike vacation and tour the whole country with a biketrailer on special routes and cruiseships arriving in Copenhagen arranges seightseeing tours in the city.

June 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  3. Niels Toersloev

If you need information about the danish cycling culture. See our free knowledge sharing website http://www.cycling-embassy.dk
    Niels Toersloev
    Traffic Director, Copenhagen

June 10, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
  4. Dominic

I lived in Copenhagen for four years and it is true that the city is very, very bike friendly. And whilst it is predominately a flat country, which helps when it comes to biking, the weather was always rather a deterrent. Windy, very wet, cold and dark, and in the winter very icy – I saw a few nasty mishaps on the ice. That said, the Danish always seemed very prepared when it came to coping with the elements on a bicycle – they could suddenly produce waterproofs from goodness knows where in an instant. A lovely little city that certainly knows about biking!

June 10, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  5. Jeppe Mikel Jensen

For more video, information and research on bicycling in Copenhagen. Visit: http://velomobility-cph.blogspot.com/

June 11, 2011 at 7:15 am |
  6. Wineandgold

I never but fail to be amazed at the fascination with CNNs fascination with Copenhagen. There are bicycle paths, but there are more in Amsterdam, various German cities and, yes, nearly as many kilometers in Paris.
    Why this fascination? I live here and know the city. Yes, many people cycle to work, but it is also a traffic-congested city come 15.00 in the afternoon ... and the number of cyclists who die in traffic accidents is very high.

June 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  7. Morten Fix

A small comment to Wineandgold:
    Whether the number of cyclists who die in the traffic is "very high" is of course a matter of opinion. In order not paint any dramatic picture allow me to present the numbers: 19 Cyclists died in the traffic in Denmark in 2010. This is out of a total of 272 that were killed in traffic in 2010.

June 12, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
  8. Christian H

Wineandgold:
    Many cyclist dies in traffic??? – That's = 110% bullsh*t! and just not true at all!

The latest stats (2009) tells that only 6 cyclist died in Copenhagen that year & there is no reason to think that this has changed since then.

Out of a population around 6 million people, where MANY people rides their bike every single day. Only 25 cyclist died in traffic in 2009.

Read the stats they are there and they are free for everyone to look at (language is danish):

June 12, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
  9. Christian H

haha went back to my computer, didn't hit the update button, didn't see that the 20101 stats were up for everyone to see...

But it does not change the fact, that bicycling in Copenhagen/Denmark is safe – very safe actually! :-)

June 12, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
  10. Lorraine

Maybe wineandgold should change his/her name to WHINEandgold. Why the negativity. CNN has a fascination with Copenhagen because it's a wonderful city in an awesome country. Don't hate on it.

June 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  11. Calvin

I've been riding my bike round Copenhagen for the better part of 30 years now and can only say that yes the traffic is congestet in the rush hours every day. But that's exactly why the bike is such a great alternative. If I use my car to work it will take me around 45 minuttes, on my bike 20!

And I'm 100% sure that the safety for bikers in Copenhagen willl improve even further in the years to come, due to the improvements that the city is making continously for years to come.

What can I say Copenhagen is the biking capital of the world.

/Calvin

June 19, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  12. Michael

I live in the western parts of Denmark and its not just in Copenhagen, that many ride bikes to work. In the west you may even see people ride 20 km to and from work every day.

The cycling is also represented by the fact that the race Post Denmark has about 1 million viewers (a fifth of the danish population) every year. With the cycling world championship and the Giro coming to Denmark within the next year, cycling, not just professional but for everyone, is becoming a big part of the Denmark

June 20, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  13. Nikolaj, Christianshavn

I would like to point out that the Municipality of Copenhagen has set specific "Eco-Metropolis" targets for cycling. These are measured in a yearly "Bicycle Account" so that the politicians have a tool for measuring the effect of their pro-cyclist policies. I hope such bicycle accounts inspire other cities around the world to adopt similar benchmarking tools, so that we may compare and compete with each other on measurable facts. Amsterdam, bring it on! :-)

Link to the "Bicycle Account 2010": http://www.cycling-embassy.dk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Bicycle-account-2010-Copenhagen.pdf

June 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  14. Julie

Yeah, as you mention that’s the account for bikes, and if you want to know more, fact & figures, e.g. on the goal of Copenhagen CO2-neutrality in 2025, you can find it in English on this page: http://www.kk.dk/climate

(http://www.kk.dk/sitecore/content/Subsites/CityOfCopenhagen/SubsiteFrontpage/LivingInCopenhagen/ClimateAndEnvironment.aspx)

June 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
  15. Eric

Hate to break it to you, but MGM did exactly this episode 74 years ago :D

Best,
    Eric

July 9, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  16. Rich

I Call CNN program about copenhagenization for prostitution TV , it is not objective as good journalism should be .

The program does not address to use a bike in Copenhagen you need to get to Copenhagen , It does not address the gigantic problem that you can not bicycle on the bridge to Malmø Sweden.

July 14, 2011 at 10:55 am |
  17. fatlossfactor,loseweightfatlossfactor,loseweight,lose fat,drop poundtfatloss factor review,fat loss factor

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice at the same time as you amend your web site, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided shiny transparent concept

September 13, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  18. ????

Aw, this was a extremely nice publish. Finding the time and real effort to create a superb post... but what can I say... I place things off a great deal and don't manage to get anything done. ???? http://www.powerbankinfo.com

June 23, 2013 at 12:19 am |
  19. NYC fitness events

It's so true! Everyone bikes. I went there 3 years ago had a great time. I notice this and did noticed that so many people are fit,I noticed that there were no weight issues.

February 16, 2014 at 12:25 am |