July 25th, 2011
04:36 PM GMT

Amy Winehouse's CDs have sold out in shops across the UK, after the troubled star's untimely death sparked a surge in sales of her critically-acclaimed work.

Downloads of the "Valerie" singer's albums - 2006's "Back to Black" and 2003's "Frank" - spiked over the weekend, and sales of her CDs and records have jumped, both in store and online.

Winehouse, 27, was found dead at her home in Camden, London, on Saturday. The cause of her death is as yet unexplained, but she had a long and well-publicized battle with drink and drugs.

"Back to Black," which featured some of the singer's best-known hits, including "Rehab" is currently topping the sales charts at Amazon.com, and on the online retailer's French and German sites.

"Frank" also features in Amazon's top ten lists, alongside special editions and vinyl copies of both albums.

Gennaro Castaldo, from British music retailer HMV, told CNN the chain was awaiting fresh deliveries of Winehouse's albums, after selling out over the weekend.

"There was an initial spike in downloads on Saturday evening as people heard the news, and then on Sunday when stores were open, we had a lot of people coming in."

Castaldo said the demand for Winehouse’s music echoed the spike in sales seen in the wake of the death of other musicians, such as Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley and John Lennon, and said like those stars, "her mythology, her iconic lustre can only grow."

"It repeats a pattern seen when other artists have died," he said. "Time and again, when someone passes away, you see a huge surge of interest in their current album, and also in other items in their catalogue.

"People want a tangible connection to the artist - they want their own little piece of Amy to hold on to."

He predicted Winehouse would be number one in the UK charts by the end of the week, and said any posthumous releases would likely reach the same peak.

"There is probably enough material to put together an album, and if so, I can guarantee it will be a number one – there is such expectation, such a huge interest.

"And there are likely to be live recordings, stage performances which might be released on DVD – wonderful moments hidden away that will now come to light."

Posted by: ,
Filed under: BusinessMusicRetail

1. Ern

So, why is it that people will now go crazy over someone's music after their demise. Why didn't anyone buy it while she was still alive? I don't think music gets better with death!!!

July 25, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  2. A Fan

So sad and so sorry for her. She had a beautiful voice.

July 25, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
  3. Lawrence Giessinger

Re: Ms. Winehouse – please – 24 hours of coverage on her death is more than enough. Why are we glorifying a drug addict and drunk?? She had her 15 minutes of fame. Enough already!

July 26, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  4. Wasted1

It's like another guy said: "We've lost twenty years of great music." I was a genuine(ly concerned) fan.

July 26, 2011 at 1:40 am |
  5. ana petrov

R.I.P. Although you left the only two albums, your´s star,supported by your´s rarely seen talent,would be shine forever.

July 26, 2011 at 6:52 am |
  6. jimmy

sorry for her untimely loss, this reminds me more of mj ,2 years ago mj gone without a sign ,it is true that we miss them until they are gone

July 26, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  7. money

I am tired of hearing about Amy Winehouse,and how great of a Blues Soul Singer She was.There are Black Blues and
    soul singers that Amy winehouse could not be compared to,but just because of the color of Her skin,and great promo.
    and marketing She was the greatest.I dont even know how they could clasify Her Music as Blues or Soul it was neither
    one.If you want to hear some real Blues or soul Music Next time You are in the Music shop look up Randy Crawford.
    Etta James,Barbara Mason.Nina Simon,Sarah Vaughn.Just to name a few there are many more.I agree She was a
    good singer for Her style of Music,but she did not rate the top 100.
    I grew up and lived the life of the Blues.
    Money

July 26, 2011 at 9:13 am |
  8. george

Listening again to her music. She really was a fantastic singer.

July 26, 2011 at 11:50 am |
  9. Brian

I find it extremely backwards that people suddenly want to buy her albums now that shes no longer alive and doesn't receive a dime. Just download the damn album for free online now that shes dead. Whoever is getting paid from her spiked album sales after her death does not deserve the money anyway.

July 27, 2011 at 5:00 am |
  10. David Chamberlain

Great post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Very useful information specifically the remaining part :) I take care of such info much. I was looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.

June 3, 2012 at 8:07 am |
  11. vps gia re, dich vu vps, share vps, vps free, free vps, buy vps online, vps vip, vps khung, vps pro, gia re vps, ban vps, mua vps

I do not even know how I stopped up right here, however I assumed this put up was good. I do not realize who you're however definitely you are going to a famous blogger when you are not already. Cheers!

August 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  12. dam hy lap dinh cuom

Hi there, I found your blog by means of Google even as looking for a similar topic, your website got here up, it appears good. I have bookmarked to my favourites|added to my bookmarks.

April 26, 2013 at 8:10 pm |