August 2nd, 2011
10:40 AM GMT

Beirut was known as the Paris of the Middle East before 15 years of civil war ripped the city apart.

Then the country's late Prime Minister, Rafik Hariri, established building company Soildere to recreate the city centre from scratch. The company created a glamorous new area in downtown Beirut, packed with luxury brands.

But Solidere remains controversial due its wide legal mandate, which gave it almost total control over the future of Beirut’s downtown area.

As the city continues to recover from the war, proponents such as Lebanon’s Prime Minister Najib Mikati are trying to silence the critics.

1. WG Churchill

Hi Richard,
    As an American living abroad, I both enjoy and depend upon your program for up-to-date, accurate informatiion at 1700 each evening.
    BUT - I gotta tell you - recently (past month or two) your producers have not been ready for prime time. Displays that don't work as intended when you try to swipe them, displays that are not ready when you and others call for them to be shown, causing you and your talented substitutes to have to stumble and cover up the error.
    Also, the technical signal is frequently interrupted on my TV screen with pixelated breakups and video/audio mismatch. I see you on SkyTV and the other channels don't seem to have nearly as much of this as CNN.
    Finally, your breaks are SO filled with adverts for CNN's own future programs over and over and over. Wastes my time waiting for you to come back on. That's when I change to Al Jezeera or EuroNews or BBC.
    Please pass this along to the right people as a constructive comment. Thanks.
    WG Churchill
    Linslade, Bedfordshire, England

August 3, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  2. marcus

even though i dont like much cnn.. i do very much like your news anchor nina santo ... she is nice eh very

August 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
  3. Segal

China is holding the entire world hostage and I cannot believe that the west is sitting there like line ducks. China is manipulating its currency to the detriment of the world economy. Americans cannot compete, Europe cannot compete and the rest of the developing world like Africa will remain poor for a whole lot longer because we are all addicted to artificially undervalued Chinese products. Why sign a free trade agreement with a country that manipulates its currency? It does not make sense!!

August 6, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  4. Laura Roland

I just saw a program on CNN about the "downgrade". Now, as I did get a degree in Economics from the the U. of Colorado, I am no scholar. Although, I am well travelled and live in Davos, Switzerland (15 years, married to a Swiss) and part-time for the past 4 years in Hong Kong. I live in a serviced apartment in Harbour City. All of your newscasters in Hong Kong must realize the impact that China Mainlanders are having on the HK economy, and therefore on the global economy!! ("My shopping mall" is SO full of Mainlanders that we can hardly walk through. No local Hong Kongers will even go there anymore.) Why is this?? It is because "free" trade is not "fair" trade. I have not done the necessary research to see how much the trade deficit increased under the Bush administration, but I would venture to guess that it is exponential. Everyone in HK knows that China is incredibly corrupt! Hardly anyone (in the West) knows, for example, about the train wreck that just happened China, which to me is a total analogy about China – a train wreck waiting to happen. But in the meantime, they hold all the money. I started saying years and years ago that the streets in China must be paved in gold, and it looks like I was right. Bush allowed so much free trade – completely without any compliances to, well, anything!! Why are we in the mess that we are in?? Simple – 8 years of Bush -1. Free, unbridled trade, 2. Free, unbridled markets (why are there so many new products? when I had my SEC Series 7, there were basically "stocks, bonds, a few mutual funds, options, and corporate finance dealings" no ridiculously complicated investment products, esp. hedge funds. They should be totally illegal. Why should anyone be able to hedge unless they are producing a product which they use for certain components and need to lock in a price for their own pricing points? 3. Kyoto Protocol – look at what is happening to the Chinese environment. The U.S. has finally adapted some regulations, but continues to do trade with a country that has absolutely NO regard to the environment. (Let alone any kind of patent infringement, but that is another topic) Even HK's close proximity has incredibly increased the amount of air pollution.(Which I can personally attest to as I have been travelling to HK for the past 9 years.) And of course, the most obvious, 5. How can you go to (an illegal) war and DECREASE taxes for the top 1%???? Every single award, Nobel Prize winning economist has said this. Why is NO ONE listening??
    Why does everyone "tip-toe" around the Bush issue?? Just how deep is the corruption??
    I totally respect CNN, especially CHH International which I have the ple
    asure of viewing most of the year as I am only in the US about 6 weeks in the year. I would love to hear any comments. Sincerely, Laura Roland, Davos Switzerland and Hong Kong

August 8, 2011 at 7:02 am |
  5. Laura Roland

One last thing that I cannot believe that I forgot... How many more BILLIONAIRES are there now than 10 years ago (when Bush came to office)??? I am not that old (53), but when I grew up, a millionaire actually meant something – BIG!!! There is something totally, inherently WRONG with the world picture when there are BILLIONAIRES and people living in poverty, let alone, abject poverty.

August 8, 2011 at 7:20 am |
  6. meyershapiro9

Tax the rich. It's the right thing to do. Where is our own Arabspring?

August 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  7. shroom

I have read several good stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot attempt you put to make the sort of wonderful informative site.

April 17, 2012 at 5:30 am |