September 13th, 2011
10:44 AM GMT

With a population of more than 2.5 million people, Chicago is one of the largest cities in the U.S., behind New York and Los Angeles.

But the people here don't see themselves living in any city's shadow; To them, this so-called second city is first.

Chicago has always been visually distinct, and has raised its profile through film.

But the city realizes it will take more than just looks to keep the industry going.

1. Neil Cassidy

2.5 million people?! Why does the media often quote the populations within the central city limits of megalopolises like Chicago or New York. Chicago has 11 million people in its metro area. It's the 3rd biggest city in the country. Get real, CNN. And no, I am not from Chicago.

September 13, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  2. usavisitor

I visited Chicago when I traveled in the USA. It's a beautiful city. I would rank it third among the beautiful cities of the States. NYC, San Francisco, Chicago in that order. I have always wonder why it wasn't in more Hollywood movies. The on thing that I did notice (no offense intended) was people in Chicago are much fatter than people in NYC and San Francisco. Not that this has anything to do with the movie industry, but it was my observation.

September 14, 2011 at 8:48 am |
  3. Matthew Rivera

Makes me proud to be a filmmaker in such a great city!

October 3, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  4. Philippe Reynders

Hay una parte de la alta tecnología que, todavía, no puedo entender.

Steve Jobs fue un hombre que revolucionó el mundo. La composición y la complejidad de una computadora, todavía me asombran en el día de hoy y un hombre como Steve Jobs, debía que ser un genio para inventar estas cosas.
    Mi casa tiene toda la modernidad posible. Podemos pisar la luna desde los años 60ta. Cuando tengo un problema con mi carro o con cualquier otra maquina, voy a un taller y me resuelve el problema en un tiempo mínimo. Pero…todavía no estamos capaces de resolver problemas que sufre el cuerpo humano. Steve Jobs murió por un cáncer de páncreas y según yo entiendo, el estaba sufriendo esta enfermedad ya desde el año 2006. ¿Porque todavía no estamos capaces de resolver este tipo de problemas y, en el caso de Steve Jobs, cortar esta parte del cuerpo que esta podrida y reemplazarla con una pieza nueva y ya?
    No, no lo entiendo en absoluto.
    Saludos, FD
    Dominican Republic

October 10, 2011 at 2:48 am |
  5. A.C.Chandra Shekhar.Bangalore,India.

My 3 children are living in Chicago,my 1st daughter since 1978.My-self@my wife are visiting chicago since 1982. I like the city.One day while travaling in a train i came across a railway station called 'Holly Wood'.i was surprised to see this name,as since my younger days i used to see lot of Holly Wood films, including The Elephant Boy film in which the famous Indian 'Mysore Sabu',a 11year old,son of a elephant drivers acted in this film&became world famous.He died in California 1962. His son is a famous singerMr.Paul Sabu.I was born &brought up in a Farmers family, i was having less han 2 acres of land.I even to day read your countrys agriculter magazine 'Acres'on web.ted my daughter to take me to Holly Wood railway station. when we enquired about this,people explainedthe story&, a women who was having lands in present holly wood area was very much impressed by this holly wood name, changed her lands name to 'Holly Wood Lands'.Now i am writing a book on mysore sabu who was born in Mysore,which is about 12 miles from my village.

November 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  6. icon design

Excuse, I have thought and have removed a question

November 4, 2012 at 1:19 pm |