September 19th, 2011
06:25 AM GMT

Hong Kong (CNN) – When you think of buying a tablet computer, what brand comes to mind?

Well, if a soft-white, backlit Apple logo popped into your noggin, you wouldn’t be alone. In fact, a recent consumer survey shows a whopping 85% of consumers first think of the Cupertino-based company before other competitors.

Just 4% of consumers surveyed first envisioned Samsung’s Galaxy in their hand, according to a survey from Change Wave Research. A mere 2% first imagined buying RIM’s Playbook over other brands.

When comparing operating systems, nearly seven of every 10 tablets sold between April and June of this year were Apple iPads, according to IDC, a London-based research firm.  In percentage terms, that was a rise from 65.7% in the first quarter to 68.3% in the second quarter.

Android saw its share of the industry pie dwindle from 34% to 26.8% in the same time frame. IDC forecasts this slice to shrink even further in the third quarter.

Research in Motion carved out a 4.9% market share in the second quarter. It’s still got a ways to grow – or wither. RIM’s Playbook only debuted in mid-April.

But as new players have tried to take on Apple’s dominance, others have started to take their products off the shelves.

Just last week, Sharp was the latest company to take an axe to its tablet line.

The Japanese electronics maker announced it plans to halt production of two of its three Galapagos tabs – the 10.8-inch and the 5.5-inch – by the end of the month. They’ll keep the 7-inch, for now.

The wipeout of Galapagos, critics say, had to do with Sharp’s usage of its own operating system which made it tougher for app developers to create content.  And the Galapagos line only launched last December.

CNN contacted Sharp for comment. A public relations representative said they plan to make new models in the future, but didn’t say what and when.

Sharp’s surrender follows a similar announcement from HP in August. The decision there: to stop all production of its Touchpad tablets.

And yet, in its report last week, IDC forecast that tablets would grow to 17.5% of the entire personal computer market in 2011.

Clearly that growth doesn’t equate to any equal spreading of wealth among companies. In fact, there seems to be more of just one kind of fruit at the tablet market: Apple.

A note to rival companies: don’t raise the white flag. There’s still more room for rivals in the tablet wars and not everyone wants an Apple.

For every hard-core Apple fanatic, there’s a “Fandroid” that’s willing to throw a smug comment the other way.  If Apple rivals give consumers something more cool, more delicious and less expensive, more people just might bite.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: AppleAsiaBusinessTechnology

1. Marius van der Walt

I think these articles are pro-Apple and i guess the marketing spin fueled by an incentive of some sort to the author. I have tested the Apple Ipad 2, The Samsung Galaxy Tam 10.1 and some others and I must say the benefits of apple are limited to its robust feel. Yet when placing it in the marketplace, in the mainstream....the Android driven tablets outperform and beat the iPad in 99% of the features. The Galaxy tab is lighter and come with loads of apps, even more free apps Apple. The android tablets also provide more computer or laptop like applications than iPad does. I think our studies are wrong and statistics too...The last negative thing about iPad...you just buy one and a month or two later a newer or better one comes out....bummer! So now you'll have to sell urs for much cheaper and buy the new one...

September 19, 2011 at 7:57 am |
  2. Jorge From Angola

I am not pro-apple, but I was forced to surrender and buy an IPad coz the other tablets do not have as many apps such the IPad, also IPad for its price seemed to offer more, so I had to stop being sentimental and get on with real life.

September 19, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  3. Jeffrey From Paris

I think we are way ahead of ourselves in terms of saying the last word on the Tablette Market. It's like saying two years ago that Apple IOS will be the absolute dominant smart phone OS today, and look what happened today with android. In France , where Iphone is consider untouchable, it was just dethroned in five months time by android. There are more great android tablette coming out as we speak and apple ipad is being outnumbered by them.. It's just a matter of time before tablettes head down the same road as the smartphones.

September 19, 2011 at 8:44 am |
  4. Jam

I personally think that this Tablet situation is showing the world that COMPANIEs with suit mentality and EXEL heads is just not going to work. If these BOZOS dosent understand and move their ACCOUNTANT wired brains, they will surely be out of the game.

September 19, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  5. Thomas

I guess if one thinks that Android tablets have a more desktop feel – is purely an subjective choice. So go ahead and buy your Android Samsung, HP or RIM.

Fact is, Apple's software and hardware make their gadgets more controllable in terms of functionality and design. They don’t need third party company to produce the designed hardware. And there's the rub.

September 19, 2011 at 9:32 am |
  6. Rubbish Thomas

The Tabliet PC market has been around before IPAD came along....The only thing that APPLE has going for it is its cool appeal. There are ton of copies and other brands in China using similar software and design. But we only seem to count what the market is telling us in Western Countries. User functionality both Android and Apple OS have equal pros and cons. Once the cool appeal dies for MAC as it did during the 90's, you will see more brands emerge. Android also allows for individual developers to create apps which means Android has a potential to grow where apple will have to keep an eye out on source forge for cool apps being produced source free and claim it as their own. I wonder how many apps from source free sites apple has pirated and made their own. The Tabiet craze is just that a craze. It will change once new gadgets come out. Like someone once said the greatest and smartest marketing stragedy Steve Jobs pulled off was convincing people to buy a 10 inch telephone.

September 19, 2011 at 9:54 am |
  7. Mikael

I'm writing apps for iOS, but making them very portable in preparation for Android. HOWEVER: I have read so many negative things about the Android application store, that I don't feel interested in it. Piracy is the biggest problem from a developer's point of view: its easy for others to rip off your content and re-post it into the store as their own! So you have to keep a lookout and go through the slow complaint process if/when this happens.

So... a proper app management process is a must before a)developers b) customers feel safe about publishing and buying apps in that store. And this is so far been missing. Customers can expect to get malware (serious malware) and/or pirated copies when shopping in the Android store. I'm hoping Amazon can change this, but it requires serious focus.

September 19, 2011 at 10:19 am |
  8. Reza

These kind of pro-apple articles by CNN starts to more and more feel like an insult to our intelligence.

September 19, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  9. VampireJack

The reason that most people think of the Ipad (much like the Ipod) is that whenever a tablet is used on tv, or is "advertised" by a tv program, it's always the Apple products.

I see it all the time on British tv, when tv hosts are discussing mp3s they always say "you can download to your Ipod", whereas they should say "mp3 player". Obviously they are being paid to advertise on actual tv shows.
    The same applies with the Ipad, it's always "your Ipad" not "your tablet" or "handheld computer".

The reason why the Ipod and Ipad do so well is that many people don't even KNOW their are decent (and in many cases, BETTER) alternatives.

September 19, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  10. Jake_in_Seoul

Apple spent many years perfecting the ipad hardware and interface before releasing it and has been able to pay iOS developers back billions of dollars from billions of app purchases. They also have a vast chuck of cash they can use to lock in low costs for components. As HP, Rim and Samsung have learned, these are formidable barriers to overcome. Android has been successful as on phones because 1) it is offered by a wide array of telecoms and 2) it is subsidized by them to the point it is sometimes given away for free. With tablets the Adroid makers will have to compete directly with Apple on price, and that may prove difficulty. Apple had the corporate courage to develop the ipad over many years and then market it globally, in the face of sniggers and sneers, and in my opinion they well deserve their current market lead for taking the risk. Consumers are not idiots. If the ipad is popular it's because the competition doesn't yet measure up.

September 19, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  11. jeragang

yes..... more or less its another marketing gimmic

September 19, 2011 at 11:22 am |
  12. Cindy

I don't see this article as pro-Apple. Statistics are statistics. The whole package of hardware, software and app store is just better and easier with Apple now. If another company actually did have better products then obviously people would buy them. Android isn't consistent now and I can't see it ever being that way. Windows looks like Windows on every computer it's on...Android looks and operates so differently on every device that it gets very frustrating when using multiple units. Until Android (or another company) consolidates the experience and app store, then it doesn't matter what device it's on and Apple will continue to dominate. People can hate for the sake of hating but at the moment, Apple simply offers better value for money.

September 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  13. darknessangel

well... let's see what Windows 8 brings to the table. Begun the tablet wars have... maybe, but they are far from an end.

September 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
  14. Niaz

As far as I am concerned, this statistic is totally wrong. Apple cant, compete with android in many features like file sharing, data transfer, openness. In my circle of friends, most of them , who have apple products even don,t know why they prefer it. They are just illiterate about the operating system benefits etc, they use only bec they are made by Apple. I think that as more and more people will start reading the benefits of android and other OSs, they will have more options to choose from...live widgets should be a compulsory component of a tablet, but just look at ipad, only icons and thats all. If you say that ipad is quicker in response than others, will definitely sound rediculous, keeping in mind that ipad has only icons while android tablets have widgets, which defeintely takes much more space than icons.
    In simple terms, you can,t feel a difference between an ipad and ipod, only that the later is smaller. While if you use an android smartphone and an android tab, even a blind can feel it that the android OS for a tablet is best suited for it.
    one more thing, you will never see an exaguration in android presentation while the presentation of apple is highly exagurated.....

September 19, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  15. Hans

I think it depends on what you look for in a tablet. I love the iPad, but the lack of connectivity and Flash support makes it unusable for my purposes. For the same reasons, all my tech-savvy friends went for Android, mainly Acer A500's. Yes, these tablets are thicker, somewhat heavier, but the pros outweigh the cons.

September 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  16. Felix

The one tablet I was hoping to tip the scales as a challenger, not a killer for Apple, was SONY's S1 tablet. It launches on the 25th and I have yet to get to tinker with one but already what I have seen and read about it, which is quite limited, I am underwhelmed. First, SONY is already selling another hand held device that will smash the gaming aspect of its tablet, the VITA. It is a fault with SONY that they are a massive gaming company, and when they put out their laptops, their hand helds, and all other audio visual devises they push that fact. The S1 tablet, for all its potential, is simply offering Play Station 1 content as every SONY S1 tablet will have Crash Bandicoot installed.

Wow, really Sony? You are putting a devise out with Play Station games that are already 3 generations old in terms of your technology? While your Play Station Vita handheld gaming device is getting exclusive gaming content? See the conflict of interest here? Where is SONY's head? It doesn't stop there for SONY either. SONY has laptops that are capable of gaming, yet, they don't sell certain PS3 titles that would look much better graphically on a PC and perform better gaming wise. Kill Zone 3 looks amazing on the PS3 with just a regular flat panel tv, yet, it can't hold a candle to the detail a PC can project. So why does SONY purposely hold back their PC market with these kinds of moves?

Not only that, when I think of SONY I think of innovation as well, these guys are the only ones I think of that can push Apple products on the technology front and they come out with a massively underwhelming product. Very little about the S1 and S2 are moving the needle, so to speak, rumbling in on their new product. Very disappointing SONY.

September 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  17. Zomp

The so called "Power Users" need the droid – for whatever their reasons are, but I'm guessing it's sort of a football game to them, or maybe it's a Pepsi vs. Coke, or Democrate vs Republican – it's those narrow minded views on a product which one creates a market, but also does not help with innovation.
    The most important feature to me is Itunes, along with many of the apps which allow me to push all my content to the TV set through Apple TV, or to play songs from my iphone to my computer. Find content on my iphone from NPR or NatGeo and then it plays to my Apple TV. Apple has made this so easy for the Non Power Users – Thank you apple for not making me look stupid. Thank you apple for making it easy to set up a network in my home which includes: TV's, ipads, iMac and iPhone all within 10 minutes? ok.. maybe 12 minutes. You CANNOT do that on any PC or droid.. Even setting up a extra wireless node to increase the wireless distance in my home was a snap. While power users will spend weeks trying to set up all the devices – I'm out sailing, biking and just having fun.Cool is good enough for me. Unless a Power User would like to set up a wireless network in my home and every other readers home to prove a point – then I would be open to a droid or pc. But they won't.
    Interactive TV will be first to happen with Apple – You'll have an iPod and TV with identical screens and you can use your iPad to communicate with the Networks when available. You'll see. Apple is providing Fun, Cool, Excitement, and so much more. Droid, I'm afraid, is not ever going to provide so much unless Google takes over completely..

September 19, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  18. Wasted1

If you need a tablet RIGHT NOW, then iPad wins by default since its high quality and huge availability of apps make it a winner.

September 19, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  19. Larry_Rollins

iMac, iPad, AppleTV, Time Capsule.

They have less power than what ever you have, but they set themselves up and run perfectly in my home together.
    That's really all I want and need...
    When there is another company that makes it so easy for me, I will switch.
    I don't have time to fool around with trivial networking for days...

September 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  20. Viewer

Apple products are a waste. You pay so much money for them and yet they are so vulnerable. Drop it once and that's the end of it.

September 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  21. Des

This is one of the sillest poles I have heard of. When you think of hamburger, you think Big Mac but the home BBQ burger is what we eat.

September 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  22. Sam

Why are tablets considered part of the computer market? They are hard to use for any sort of real work. For example, the iPad keyboard (even in landscape rotation) is **just* to small for efficient and expeditious typing. It doesn't feel natural. Also, because they are limited in the transfer of information (still tethered to iTunes, in the case of the iPad), they can't keep up with a real PC/Mac for entertainment. Just because it's big doesn't mean it's part of the computer market: if the Xbox had a screen, would you call it a computer? No–you can't possibly get anything useful (headshots aside :D) on it. I feel like it should be in with the consumer electronics–or (gasp) have its own category. Describing it as part of the computer market is misleading: your tablet consumer is looking for something much different than any computer, so they should have their own metric.

September 19, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  23. Sam

instant corrections: "...*just* too small for efficient and expeditious typing."
    "...you can't possibly get anything useful (headshots aside :D) done on it."

September 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  24. Silas Tymeson

Vielen Dank aus Wien

September 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  25. Imad turk

i think its true, the only problem about droid market is the diversity of apps, its not yet there the Droid OS's, it is powerful and very distinctive in many aspects, but its lacks the huge number of Apples market apps, for myself i prefer buying the very powerful honeycomb OS, specially on moto xoom , but i still can't go for it as it is not yet worth the droid market apps. i'd still be holding on to apple products until google droids comes up into the terms of apple store power.

September 19, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  26. khalil kabara

I think android tablets are far better than android in terms of free apps and customization. Its only the name "APPLE" that makes people think they produce the best. I have an ipad2 and a samsung galaxy tab and i think the android based is by far better

September 19, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  27. kaushik

this is just a paid news. Samsung tab 750 is erasing apple pie like anything. Dunno how long these type of paid news will save apple. LOL

September 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
  28. lolface

hmmm cnn quoting a survey that benefits their sponsor who would have thought?
    Ipads are horrible and yes they still glare!

September 19, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  29. Spendlove

If you bought an iPad then uSuck. CNN what is going on these days with all the Apple plugs? Regardless, I'm going to get back to Angry Birds on my HP Touchpad..

September 19, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  30. Bleh

Wow that's a nice iPad pictured in this article. Ops...my bad, it's NOT an iPad, no wonder it look so nice :)

September 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  31. Wayne

What, no metion of the Asus Transformer and Transformer 4G? Once the 4g version is released, I think you will see their sales pop.

September 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
  32. Owning Android and Apple

I am an owner of both an iPad and the Galaxy. I prefer the iPad because it simply works. The process Apple uses to verify and validate apps for its products is proven effective. Android works until you get an app update that wrecks your system and you have to rebuild (speaking from experience). Apple has a system that works. Android has a vision that I am anxious to see mature. Until then, if you need it to work and work consistently, go with Apple.

September 19, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  33. gary

damn...if ipad works for you then great! If you need to be able to send a file outside of email, want to customize, want real-time data displayed on your homescreen, or want to tie a bunch a services together that are accessible from any PC, Tablet, or phone then get an android (calender, contacts, email, social networking, shopping, etc.). I do agree that you don't have to be intelligent to have an ipod and thats ok! Go ride a bike or go jogging instead of reading up on technology and being able to produce posts where it at least looks like you know what you are talking about. For the rest of us with normal to high IQ's that are tech savy, we'll stick with something that is powerful vs. cool anytime. I'm gonna go watch some flash movies and animation on my android. later

September 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  34. unbound

When you think about a product to blow your nose, what comes to mind?

If you thought of Kleenex, you're not alone.

Was this supposed to be a serious article?

September 19, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
  35. Marcus

I do not believe in statistics, I just believe in what I see, and what I see is that the page ran smoothly and beautifully on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

September 20, 2011 at 12:50 am |
  36. Theo

Just bought an Acer Iconia 500 for $386,upgraded to Honeycomb 3.2 and am very impressed,bit heavier than an Ipad2,but a lot lighter on the pocket. Almost has too many ports, plugged in a USB drive full of songs,photos and videos,quickly transferred them and all worked well. Just turned on my LG blue ray player and too my surprise there was the 500 no setup or anything, and the music,photos and videos,I'd put on the 500,played them and all worked. Plenty of apps,same as the ones my HTC Desire,I am one happy puppy and alot richer and able to do a lot more than if I,d bought the Ipad2.

September 20, 2011 at 1:01 am |
  37. Yoall

iPad 2 = Gaming + Life + Social
    The rest = geeks & nerds who program the whole day
    'Nuff said mofos

September 20, 2011 at 2:20 am |
  38. Theo

Yoall,you're right,Ipad2=Socialites.

September 20, 2011 at 2:46 am |
  39. Theo

Actually I,m predicting the winner will be an Android device somewhere between 5 and 7 inches with high resolution dual or quad core. Something like the Samsung Note or Acer 100. But in the meantime, keep bringing on more and better Android machines.

September 20, 2011 at 3:52 am |
  40. Dictionary

Delusion: A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness: delusions of Android dominance.

September 20, 2011 at 5:22 am |
  41. Logic

I'm pretty sure searching on Google (the makers of Android) would yield an unbiased result. If you search "Tablet Market Share" and limit the results to the "Past week" you will see the unbiased truth: iPad's market share has grown and Androids market share has fallen from the first quarter of 2011 until now. What this might MEAN is mostly opinion, but you can't deny the FACTS.

September 20, 2011 at 6:09 am |
  42. Theo

Android Tablet market share
    Mark Peters : August 20th 2011 – 11:11 CET

Android tablets take 20% market share from Apple tablets : According to the ABI Research Media Tablets study, Android Tablets has taken 20% market share form iPad tablet. Worldwide annual media tablet shipments are expected to top 120 million tablets in 2015. While not quite asstrong as traditional Personal Computers or Smartphone annual sales, media tablets are emerging from the shadow of non-handset mobile devices and rapidly coming into their own. Android tablets have collectively taken 20% market share away from the Apple iPad in the last 12 months. However, no single vendor using Android (or any other OS) has been able to mount a significant challenge against it.

Looks like these sre the LATEST FACTS. Looks like the Android battle is on.

September 20, 2011 at 7:20 am |
  43. Logic

Theo, that's a month old. The latest reports show that, despite many new Android tablets being released in the 2nd Qtr of 2011, the Android has fallen from a 34% market share down to 26.8% while at the same time iPad has risen from 65.7% to 68.3%. It appears that the first Android tablets came on the market, stole some of iPad's thunder, but are now losing ground against the iPad.

The battle is definitely on, but so far there is no tangible threat to iPad and Apple's dominance of the Tablet market.

September 20, 2011 at 7:49 am |
  44. Robert

Well I am curios about what will happen when Amazon launches their tablet. I don't think Apple would suffer in the short run but it is likely that they have to cut their margins launching cheaper alternatives just as they now are doing with iPhone4.

But I also have to mention the Swedish company Terranet that is to test use of mobiles without mobile network. That may have an interesting impact on the mobile world and the mobile internet as we know it.

Thanks
    /Robert

September 20, 2011 at 7:54 am |
  45. Carlo LP

Please Please Please Competitors... Do something. The last thing I want is to be a prisoner of the dictatorial Apple...

September 20, 2011 at 9:33 am |
  46. Matt

My wife has an iPad, I have a galaxy tab. Did someone dare say the Galaxy is more powerful than the iPad? Not even close. I would gladly sell my Galaxy Tab (which I paid $600 for) to the highest bidder. Good riddence to it.

September 20, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  47. D Ward

All bow to the mighty fruit.....

September 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  48. Kevin

The reason the iPad has been and will continue to be successful is because of advertising and ease of use. all of you apple haters saying that's a bad thing, look ridiculous. It's true, those are 2 huge factors for a product to succeed. But that can't be the excuse for why android tablets aren't doing well. Every time I turn on my tv or the radio all I hear about are android tablets, mostly from Verizon. But anyways, you sound ridiculous when your whole argument is apple is only winning because they have good advertising, but you can even run a widget on them!
    Ever stop to think that widgets are what customers are looking for?
    Apple is doing well in the tablet category because what their device does is exactly perfect for what a tablet should do. It's not necessarily do the most powerhouse of things because apple knows people don't want to work for 8 hours nonstop on a touc screen. I like the idea of android, but all they are trying to do is make a tablet a desktop computer with less hardware and a touchscreen, which is why the iPad is crushing them.

September 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  49. Samurai Shonan

The only operating system that was ever a fail for apple was OS9. It sucked. Every other one has been brilliant.

October 4, 2011 at 3:25 am |
  50. Corey

No Flash makes iPad useless to me. All these tablets, Apple or Android, are WAY overpriced. If I ever get one, it will be Android. If I read correctly, on smartphones, Android already has more market share than iOS and no doubt that will eventually happen on tablets too.

October 5, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  51. Best Buy Tablets

Wonderful beat ! I would like to apprentice even as you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog web site? The account helped me a appropriate deal. I had been a little bit familiar of this your broadcast offered vibrant transparent concept

April 26, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
  52. memorias kingston

Magnificent post, very informative. I ponder why the other specialists of this sector don't realize this. You must proceed your writing. I'm sure, you have a great readers' base already!|What's Happening i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to give a contribution & help different customers like its aided me. Good job.

May 19, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
  53. store

That is very interesting, You are an overly professional blogger. I've joined your rss feed and stay up for searching for more of your wonderful post. Additionally, I've shared your website in my social networks

May 23, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  54. The New iPad

hi!,I like your writing so so much! proportion we be in contact extra about your post on AOL? I need an expert on this space to solve my problem. May be that is you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

May 30, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  55. hair remover|hair removal system|at home hair removal|hair removal at home|laser hair removal|laser hair removal prices|hair removal for men

hello!,I love your writing so a lot! proportion we keep in touch extra approximately your article on AOL? I need an expert on this house to unravel my problem. Maybe that's you! Taking a look ahead to see you.

June 15, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
  56. MLS Listings

You really make it seem really easy together with your presentation however I find this topic to be actually something that I believe I'd never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely large for me. I am having a look ahead on your subsequent submit, I'll attempt to get the dangle of it!

June 19, 2012 at 9:48 am |