October 13th, 2011
05:18 AM GMT

Sydney, Australia (CNN) – In the latest maneuver in the smartphone wars, Samsung is offering its latest Galaxy S II smartphone for a token $2 to the first 10 people in line each morning at a temporary store just steps away the Apple flagship store in Sydney.

Normally priced at $850, the deep discount attracted some young buyers to camp out three or four nights to snatch the phone. "We calculated that the amount of money we are saving ... makes it equivalent to being paid $15 an hour just to loaf around for four days,” one person waiting for a phone told CNN.

“Apple gives no discounts on the iPhone, so honestly I’m not sure why you would line up to pay full price for a phone that’s not as good as a Samsung,” said James Constantine, who bought a $2 phone after waiting outside for three days.

The line in front of the Samsung pop-up store Wednesday morning rivaled the numbers camped out in front of the Apple store awaiting Friday’s Australia release of the iPhone 4S, according to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald. Samsung has “no plans” to continue renting the property after Friday, the paper said.

Apple and Samsung have been waging an aggressive legal battle since April, filing more than 20 lawsuits against each other in nine countries, including the United States, France, Italy, Australia, South Korea and Japan.  Apple contends that Samsung’s Galaxy line of mobile phone and tablets “slavishly” copied its iPhone and iPad, while Samsung claims that Apple has infringed on its mobile patents.

Last week, Apple rejected an offer from Samsung to settle the tablet dispute in Australia, prolonging the ban on Samsung’s launch of its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in that market.  Apple also secured a ban in Germany last month on direct sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1.  In addition, a court in the Netherlands has barred Samsung from selling three models of its smartphone.  A court ruling in California is expected today.

Samsung said it postponed the release of its latest Galaxy smartphone out of respect for Apple visionary and former CEO Steve Jobs, who passed away last Thursday, a day after the unveiling of the new iPhone 4S.  However, Samsung has said that it does not plan to delay court hearings.  In fact, it extended its patent-infringement lawsuit to France and Italy to ban the sale of the iPhone 4S less than 24 hours after its introduction.

Samsung and its Android-based smartphones pose the strongest challenge to Apple’s wildly popular iPhone.  While Apple’s iPhone is the world best-selling smartphone, smartphones using Google’s Android operating system have a greater combined market share.  Samsung is the largest maker of Android smartphones.

Posted by: , ,
Filed under: AppleQuest Means BusinessTechnology

1. Pierre

Apple will stop at nothing to ensure their monopoly. They slavishly seek a world that consists only of iDependent iDiots.
    reminds me of iBM (surprised they haven't been challenged for having the temerity to have a brand that starts with an i) in the early days of PC's.
    Bullies often win little battles, rarely wars.

October 13, 2011 at 5:42 am |
  2. okaythen

Are we sure this is even real? I mean both companies are getting a hell of a lot of airtime like this and both are getting named on every tech blog endlessly.

Is this just for the publicity? It's not that far fetched when you think about it.

October 13, 2011 at 6:07 am |
  3. puniii

shut up all you people!!! let them slug it out. Let the best man win

October 13, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  4. ketsui

Samsung is acting like an angry brat lol

October 13, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  5. ketsui

what monopoly pierre? they haven't bullied anyone pierre, you must be one of those 'im against any big company, ill buy petes coffee' types that tries to be different but just picks the other flavor and thinks he is enlightened lol

October 13, 2011 at 7:12 am |
  6. 1alan1

Apple will probably be gone in two years.

October 13, 2011 at 7:36 am |
  7. MaxPayne

A Samsung phone Yeah right – that's what they're worth: US$ 2. Only a hillbilly idiot will ever buy a South Korean branded product. Frankly they're all crap, and Koreans engage is some of the worst and most devious business practices anywhere. It's in the Korean culture to win at any cost, even selling their soul to the devil.

October 13, 2011 at 7:49 am |
  8. Dorothylisa

there is no war every one wants their business these news are just for publicity. Samsung is best in their world and Apple is best in their nothing is waste.

October 13, 2011 at 7:56 am |
  9. Beefburger

@MaxPayne, what about Apple's "Made in Taiwan" sh!t patty? C'MON! Can't we get the ball rolling on "MADE IN THE U.S.A."?

October 13, 2011 at 8:00 am |
  10. octopus

Pierre, actually you're wrong and do sound like an idiot.

October 13, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  11. BLT

Max Payne you need to shut your cake hall buddy! Your statements are borderline hateful! If I was you, I would continue counting rocks! Korean economy is number 11 in the world! GO TIGERS!

October 13, 2011 at 9:42 am |
  12. AndyinOz

I suspect that most leaving notes that suggest the Samsung product is crap and suggesting that it is all a hoax etc etc might just be a little bit jealous that they are half a world away from Sydney and there for have Buckley's Chance of getting their hands on a $2 (or slightly more if you are a Yank given the current exchange rate) smart phone.

October 13, 2011 at 9:43 am |
  13. HTC

What about HTC?

October 13, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  14. scorpion 42

Just goes to show, how mean and skint the young are today, they have to sit around outside a temp store, to get a phone they cant really afford to operate, because they MUST be unemployed / or unemployable for what ever reason, so they become a waste of space and contribute to the wars between Apple and Samsung, but there you go.

October 13, 2011 at 10:05 am |
  15. Francis

There is nothing wrong with what is going on,actually i dont see any war but only a game.In economics we say game theory both companies are only trying to capture wider market shares with their strategies.....

October 13, 2011 at 10:13 am |
  16. Sabrina

If Samsung follows suit with the rest of Korean media industry (mainly K-Pop) there's no doubt in my mind that they have stolen loads of Apple's ideas. If you listen to any popular K-Pop song in the past 5 years, you'll find an enormous amount of songs that have stolen from popular artists from the US. So it didn't surprise me when I looked at the Samsung smartphone and saw that it was basically the iPhone.

October 13, 2011 at 10:34 am |
  17. John

I like how most of the dudes in the photo are staring at the hottie walking by.

October 13, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  18. Shadow

All the smart phones including Apple exploit bamboo dwelling under class labor of third world countries. Just Apple wants to monopolize so you have no choice! All you people make Steve Jobs out to be like a God. The guy put his pants on the same way everyone else does. Its all about the money. If a guy spent all his waking life helping poor children read, write and math and never made a dime you would never heard of him but make millions of bucks and suddenly he is a god to you. Pathetic!

October 13, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  19. Xenos

Anyone wanna buy my orange?

October 13, 2011 at 11:26 am |
  20. bestever

Samsung is the best product.
    Apple is for loser.

October 13, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  21. S.mrabet

@Sabrina
    "So it didn't surprise me when I looked at the Samsung smartphone and saw that it was basically the iPhone."

Obviously you need glasses.

October 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
  22. becky

I bought a samsung phone once and that was enough for me, the apps were basically useless and people couldn't get through to me. I say apple should take this fight to the end, Samsung loves stealing of other brands while at the same time wants to be seen as a reputable one; I wouldn't recommend them to anyone; the reasons those tablets are so cheap is because they're rubbish.

October 13, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  23. Hitesh

I love non-apple devices. Not Samsung particularly though. Go HTC. I still don't understand how is that Apple is so successful in establishing in Monopoly. I am yet to see a single person whose iPhone works as well as my android device and can do as much as my android device can do. I am a smartphone user since 2003 when Windows Mobile based big screen phone (Audiovox) came out. iPhone sucks.

October 13, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  24. Azreken

How can you look at this and not see a monopoly?
    They have patents on nearly every aspect of the smart phone, and expect them to hold up. That's like making a patent on a haircut; Everyone needs them, but if only one place can give them, then that's who they will go to.
    I like Apple, but they are definately just a bully trying to monopolize the smart phone industry.

October 13, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  25. MaxPayne

Samsung is crapola, as are all South Korea products. Korean economy is number 11 – because they're good at cheating, and suing smaller companies so they eventually close shop. That is how the South Korean conglomerates operate, with the full support of the government. They act big around small companies but are really cowards. Look at their response to NK killing their people – nothing – tail between their legs, woof, woof! Har har!

People who buy South Korean branded products have no taste at all. I wouldn't be caught dead using a Samsung.

October 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  26. panpan

@all
    life sucks. so eat that up and stop being immature.
    'this product is better. that product sucks.' come on!!!!
    it like cnn.com is a forum for elementary students.

@racists
    the world is better off without you guys

October 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  27. bestever

Apple uses core Samsung tech.

I bet this fact is too complicated to understand.

October 13, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  28. bestever

Koreans stole MaxPayne's wife.

October 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  29. maxpayne

bestever smells like kimchi and eats mangy dog meat.

October 13, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
  30. HeeHaw

To John and Others,
    Indeed everyone in the $2 line are looking at the hotty passing by, but did you notice that she has an iPhone?

;)

October 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  31. bestever

maxpayne is an overweight pedophile thailand tourist

October 13, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  32. eddie2010

CNN fails to mention that Apple was caught giving the court photographs that were faked to make the Samsung product look more like the Apple one, and that because of this most of their charges were thrown out of court. My, I guess we have some Apple sycophants at CNN.

October 13, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  33. Rob O

Thats it folks, wrap it up and go home. Hitesh is the know all be all from 2003. He/She knows best. Nothing else to see here. Riiiiight
    Plain and simple, you use what makes you happy.
    I personally dont like defragging my Android device every other day so it runs well, so I will still to my always well running iPhone. My opinion. I wont throw dates at you and tell you I know it all.

October 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
  34. hyd14

i have an iphone 4 and a nexus s and i love them both given that both of them have their equal share of faults.

Why do people have to choose one.....its better to have more options.

October 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
  35. Cee

HAHAHA They all look homeless:-) Look I love my iPhone 4, Apple TV, Macbook Pro, iPad 2, iPod Classic, oh and my awesome iPod Touch which is really just my iPhone 3GS (32GB) which I use as my car iPod butttttttt if someone offered me a Samsung phone for $2 I'm all over it since I would just sell it on eBay lol.

I'm a huge Apple fan but I have hold no ill feelings towards any of the other OS or Hardware makers. The only thing that comes from this is better devices for you and me. So stop all the fighting because all of us are right and wrong and guess what none of this sh^t talking makes a difference.

October 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  36. Cee

@Azreken dude what are you talking about LOL?????? First of all have you been alive long enough to see what smartphones USE to look and feel like? Cause if you have you might understand why Apple who brought out the first all new redesigned smartphone holds so many patents for CURRENT smartphone models. Also the haircut thing just didn't make sense and I don't even see how you can compair the two. If the first iPhone looked like a Blackberry, had the same keyboard, had the same type of icons etc don't you think RIM would have taken Apple to court? But thats not what happened Apple saw what Palm and RIM were making and they made something that was WAY different and all Samsung, HTC etc did was follow Apple's lead, if you don't believe me just go look up pre 2007 HTC, Samsung, RIM etc phones and tell me how they looked before Apple released the iPhone.

October 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
  37. Cee

HAHAHAHA I just did a little research on my prior comment and found a Samsung smartphone released prior to the iPhone, it was called the BlackJack or something like that and it looks just like a Blackberry and the name sounds like a RIM type name LOL! Look I don't hate any of these companies since I don't have a vested interest in any of them but its obvious that Samsung does a good deal of copying. I mean really before they made phones and tablets that looked like the iPhone and iPad they made a phone that looked like a BB Storm.

October 13, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  38. bestever

I sold my iPhone4 because the app icons look like sh!t.
    Why can't they adapt EVERY icon to retina?

epic fail

October 13, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  39. Cee

@Shadow dude don't be a total idiot all your life please. First of all you don't know why I like Steve Jobs cause you don't know me and you don't know the millions of other people that like him either so stop acting as if you have all the answers cause you don't. I doubt that you even really know anything about Steve Jobs to make stupid statements like that. Do you know how Steve Jobs made his millions? Do you know what his salary was as the CEO of Apple? Do you realize that millions of people use iPad's for educational purposes? What have you done with your life to put Steve Jobs down? Your just a troll and a hater and thats sad. Also I didn't care about Steve Jobs I love Apple because every single product that I have owned has worked great and it made tech fun.

October 13, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
  40. Cee

@bestever I don't even know what to say to that since I have several hundred apps and they all look great on my iPhone 4. But ok enjoy whatever phone you got to replace the iPhone 4 I guess.

Who cares?

October 13, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  41. Cee

@Hitesh you need to open your eyes than cause I know several people with HTC phones and none them think what you just said. But thats cute:-)

October 13, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
  42. Mike R

Remember all the patent-less ideas and inventions the former co-founder of Apple stole from Xerox? Even the idea of the mouse?! Kharma's a B___. Pirate on, Sammy, pirate on!!!!

October 14, 2011 at 6:10 am |
  43. James Constantine

@okay then
    hey man, I'm James Constantine, the one quoted in the third paragraph. I can tell you that it's 100% legit, i got my phone yesterday morning!

October 14, 2011 at 6:54 am |
  44. Anonymous

You're talking about a frivolous $ war???

WAKE UP & smell the anger & rage growing at the hypocrisy & continuation of fraudulent behaviors of those in power!
    This is just the beginning...soon things will turn violent...tick tock, tick tock, tick tock...

October 15, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  45. Will

@bestever

I don't know what you're thinking, but to me your post comes across as "Certain GUI elements on my screen were crap quality so I sold my phone and bought one with a crappy screen so that all the GUI elements look crappy, and it's better that way."

Please explain further

October 17, 2011 at 1:59 am |
  46. steven,UK

when you are trusted in all means, would like to discuss about these endless sanction on Iran, in recents months everytime i look at the media, i see proposals from every angle of the US, europe, talking and suggesting a new round of sanction on Iran,while iranian denay these claims.even we think when a senator wake up in the morning and at that day he is not happy with his child or work, then the first reaction is how to put a new sanction on Iran and get some popularities, and even has become a toll for presidentional election. if you want to get more votes talk about new idea of new sanction on Iran.wasn,t US offerd Iran to build nuk energy, seems to everybody something is not working properly

November 24, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  47. Single High-definition Graphite, up on its way My spouse and i knowledgeable just about every solitary pleasure

of course like your web-site but you have to take a look at the spelling on several of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the truth then again I will certainly come again again.

June 14, 2012 at 8:54 am |
  48. motor matic injeksi irit harga murah

Thank you for any other wonderful article. The place else may anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal method of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I'm at the search for such info.

June 15, 2012 at 5:53 am |
  49. Gratis På Nettet

Hello, i think that i noticed you visited my web site so i came to go back the favor?.I am trying to to find things to enhance my website!I assume its good enough to make use of some of your concepts!!

June 15, 2012 at 10:05 am |
  50. sjove ting

Hi there, simply turned into alert to your blog thru Google, and found that it's truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I will be grateful if you continue this in future. Numerous other folks shall be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

July 5, 2012 at 9:33 am |
  51. computer repair london

Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something again and aid others like you aided me.

July 22, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
  52. http://sohastore.vn

Unquestionably consider that which you stated. Your favourite justification appeared to be at the web the easiest factor to bear in mind of. I say to you, I certainly get annoyed at the same time as people consider worries that they just do not recognise about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and defined out the entire thing without having side effect , other folks could take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks

December 28, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
  53. Shannon Oehlenschlage

Prior to iOS 5, the iPod branding was used for the media player included with the iPhone and iPad, a combination of the Music and Videos apps on the iPod Touch. As of iOS 5, separate apps named "Music" and "Video" are standardized across all iOS-powered products. While the iPhone and iPad have essentially the same media-player capabilities as the iPod line, they are generally treated as separate products. In the last few years, iPhone and iPad sales have overtaken those of the iPod.'*';

Most interesting posting on our web page

May 21, 2013 at 12:06 pm |