October 26th, 2011
10:56 AM GMT

London, England (CNN) – Mobile phone giant Nokia unveiled two new smartphones in London Wednesday as it sought to boost its flagging fortunes in the booming market.

The Lumia 800 and Lumia 710 - Nokia's first handsets using the Windows Phone operating system - are the company's attempt to gain traction in the smartphone market, dominated by Apple's iPhones and Google's Android operating system.

As he revealed the Lumia 800 Nokia, Chief Executive Stephen Elop said the company was "signaling our intent right now here today to be today's leaders in smartphone design and craftsmanship."

The Lumia phones put the emphasis on music, navigation and sport, offering music mixes, navigational tools and a partnership with ESPN for mobile sports coverage.

The announcement follows Nokia's partnership with Microsoft in February. The new handsets were revealed at the company's annual Nokia World conference. The phones, Elop said, were part of "a new dawn for Nokia."

Nokia also launched four new mobile phones which it said blurred the line between smartphones and more traditional handsets, offering keyboards and touchscreens, combined with internet access and integrated social networking.

Elop is under pressure to rejuvinate the company which, despite selling the highest volume of mobile phones worldwide, has suffered in the smartphone market. Earlier this year, Apple overtook Nokia to become the world's top smartphone maker.

Nokia announced last month that it plans to cut 3,500 jobs by the end of 2012. These are in addition to 4,000 job cuts announced in April, and a part of a major restructuring.

1. Fonseka

Do I need a "smart phone"? NO

October 26, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  2. kelju kalle

good hardware but the windows phone grid is plain ugly

October 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  3. Abu

Say Good bye to Nokia as well as Windows. Dont understand Nokia marketing Strategy. Before Launching N9 they announced no more development on Mego.
    Useless attempt.

October 26, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  4. Carl Hinchliffe

I feel sorry for Nokia as they once made quality phones but have now lost their way; however I want Microsoft to throw every last penny of their money behind Windows Phone and fail miserably. For years we've had to put up with their cr@p OS and buggy applications due to their monopoly position in the desktop market and I would rejoice at seeing them go down the pan.

October 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  5. Suresh

If the pricing is right, I am sure they will overtake Apple's overpriced piece of crap that Iphone is.

October 26, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  6. prashant singh

Wow its cool huh,now nokia letz break iphone huh!

November 17, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  7. prashant singh

Nokia windows whch means the next n google android!

November 17, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  8. prashant singh

Nokia letz roll!

November 17, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  9. turban

Hello, Neat post. There's an issue with your site in internet explorer, would check this? IE still is the marketplace leader and a large component to people will leave out your great writing because of this problem.

April 27, 2012 at 7:35 am |
  10. juegos para android

Thanks for any other great post. The place else may just anyone get that type of information in such an ideal way of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the search for such information.

May 8, 2012 at 3:34 am |
  11. affiliate marketing

Its such as you read my thoughts! You seem to know a lot about this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few % to force the message house a little bit, but other than that, that is magnificent blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

June 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  12. lacado de puertas

You actually make it seem really easy along with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be actually one thing that I believe I would never understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me. I am looking forward to your subsequent publish, I'll try to get the cling of it!

September 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
  13. juegos online

No me puedo creer que hayas tantos tipos distintos de juegos, cada vez encuentro mas y mas. Estoy por publicar un post en mi blog sobre este juego asi que me lo llevo. Pasateee y comentame!

October 12, 2012 at 11:41 am |