January 9th, 2012
06:47 PM GMT

Doha, Qatar (CNN) – From its humble origins with few natural resources, Qatar found vast hydrocarbon wealth - oil in the 1940s, natural gas in the 1970s.

In 2008, at the height of the global financial and economic crisis, Qatar launched its 2030 National Vision - to invest its hydrocarbon wealth wisely, diversify its economy and to develop an advanced society with high standard of living for all its citizens.

With an abundance of riches, Qatar’s development is all about laying solid foundations and avoiding the pitfalls of unmanaged growth.

1. cnn

congratulation Qatar

January 9, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  2. Ahmed

Qatar still has the rules from stone age.. They are 20 years behind UAE. All that you hear and see is hype... If you want to know the reality come and stay in qatar or better ask a common man about the rules and restrictions here.. Qatar is a big jail with its exploiting exit permit/sponsorship system and stone age labor rules...

January 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
  3. Hilal

Agree with Ahmed, I work in Qatar and I know the pain.. Once you are here , you are stuck.. cant change jobs even if the company no longer wants you. need permission from sponsor to even go on an family emergency... one of my co-worker was not able go to his country on time to see his very sick mother coz to go out of qatar even temporarily you need exit permit (permission from your sponsor) and sponsor did not give it on time. I still remember his crying face... Qatar is the only country expect saudi arabia that has this brutal rule.. all other GCC countries abolished exit permit system as they had realized companies and sponsors are widely misusing it...so qatar in the spotlight now maybe claiming that they are progressive with modern outlook and all, but they are not really what they say....

January 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
  4. Najeh m

cnn get your facts straight.... seems like the western media didn't understand the realities here. qatar is a very suppressing regime with very exploitative rules specifically targeting foreign workers... all those glittering high rises that u see is the result of hardworking under paid exploited workers..... many of these workers are forced to work in extreme hot conditions..even though there is a rule that prohibits working outside.. but authorities simply turn a blind eye because many big construction companies are mostly owned by the royal family here... check with someone who has worked in the ER of HMC hospital (main govt hospital here) during summer. in every hour during day time dozens of workers are brought to ER many of them unconscious due to the over exposure to extreme heat, dehydration , dizziness etc. i have seen it personally.....it is impossible to stand outside for 10 mins during summer as the temperatures would reach upto 122 degree F and these workers are forced and threatened to work whole day.....

January 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
  5. Khalid Ahmed

yeah the all GCC countries have strict visa policy because they do not want so much foreign immigrant to come their country

January 11, 2012 at 1:12 am |
  6. suliemanajeh@alo.com

qatar is such a sh!!ty place to live and work. you have no security of life... i am from a arab country and i worked in dubai and Bahrain before coming to doha. few months before our company (a big local company here) fired many guys including me with one month notice.... most of them had families and kids here.... i started looking for jobs and with allah's grace got one......but my company simply refused to give NOC (no objection letter) asked me to go back to egypt... i had to sell everything my car and furniture etc and had to go back to a place where there is lot of trouble going on.....

to change job in qatar we need no objection letter from previous or current employer and you are at their mercy.. in my case my employer did not wanted my service as the project is almost over, but they did not allow me to work... this is total violation of human rights .. i felt like a slave and helpless...and i pity those royal heads who allow these kind of exploitation to happen under the nose and talk about developing society and values !!! when the truth is qatar is far behind countries like uae and baharain.....making big glass buildings doesn't make a country great....the curse of the people you suppress and exploit will come heavily upon Qatar one day....

January 11, 2012 at 5:13 am |
  7. Big D

I hate to say it, but I was raised in several GCC countries and I've seen their rise and fall within the last 36 years. They are "so different" from Kuwait to Dubai, but that's all details...external factors. The one thing that is deeply embedded in their culture and that they can't change is the extreme belief in class and nationality distinctions. They will mistreat and underpay the labor. They will treat unfortunate Muslims different than Christians from the West, regardless of education and ability, and they WILLl squandor most of it for their own royal family. Sorry, but I know what "trying" is like with the Gulf Arabs, and it's like a fat guy that steps on the treadmill for one day and returns home to pig out on a rack of lamb doused in butter and just tells a bunch of people about that hard day.

January 13, 2012 at 12:01 am |
  8. SilTee

I lived in Qatar for more than seven years running a business and starting a family. While the social life and the circles of friends made life very pleasant with no major objections and qualms, it is the business atmosphere that eventually made me leave despite the (Hyped) volume of work.
    The reality (in my opinion) is that Qatar still does not have the human resources to manage its aspirations no matter how grounded they are. A recent statistic shown to me showed that almost all projects in Qatar suffer from over 50% delays, and on top of it, the corruption and bureaucracy in getting your due payments makes it near impossible to do business profitably there (unless you are in the inner circles).

Whilst I wholeheartedly believe that the Emir and his Wife and some of the top figures have a comprehensive vision of what to do with the money, there is still a lot of it left that is not declared and not trickling down. And despite the way-over-generous wages that are offered to their own citizens, there are a very rare few that are making use of this generosity to better themselves (apart from materialistically) and serve their country better.

I wish Qatar luck, but I will remotely do business with it as one day the mass of dirt that they are sweeping under the carpet will eventually surface and it will not be pretty.

January 17, 2012 at 9:21 am |
  9. Mohamed F

to all the Fuc#r's like suliemanajeh@alo.com ,i'll say how about the egyption as#hole who stool from the company he was working for 1000,000's and and somehow get out of the country ,100's maybe 1000's of the workers didn't get payed and the owner in jill for the past 3 years , you don't like Qatar then don't come ,go to UAE or Bahrian if you like it there

January 18, 2012 at 10:24 am |
  10. kafates

This is exactly y ppl thing u r pigs Moh F. coz u really r pigs.

January 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
  11. eman

Strangest way to the marriage application

January 27, 2012 at 1:53 am |
  12. web site

when I bobed in your page~~~ I found your blog is so wonderful you write the beautiful words with a pictuer~~ both the image and is vivid~~~easy to understand~~`keeping up~!!! web site

August 15, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
  13. url

Very valuable information, I am very grateful,I agree with your Blog and I will be back to check it more in the future~~~ so please keep up your work. http://www.buyakicks.com/

August 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm |