January 11th, 2012
09:16 PM GMT

London (CNN) – I am a simple man at heart, one who is usually three steps behind the latest technologies and battles hard to try to keep up. So I didn’t really understand the full thrust of Google’s latest news when I first heard it.

Google has changed its algorithm to add social media results to our searches. Users of Google+ will now find information from their friends, pictures from Picasa and all sorts of things that I have no idea about but which are lurking mysteriously on the web.

Google says this makes searches more personal, and gives information which is relevant to you. Surely, if social media is the future, this is all reasonable? So why is everyone up in arms about it?

Twitter, for one, is grumpy. They are complaining because the new search algorithm pulls from Google+ and could therefore make tweets harder to find. Google counters by saying - in my words - “make your stuff available to us, join in and stop whining.”

Even worse, the critics say, is the potential to open a Pandora’s box of privacy issues, because the new search could reveal private information available online. But then again, how much is really private on social media?

Which brings us back to an old argument: How much information should be provided to organisations like Google and Facebook without our specific consent? Further, should we opt in rather than opt out of such services?

Google has already faced the wrath of users and regulators on privacy issues, and is subject to 20 years of privacy monitoring by the Federal Trade Commission after the debacle with Buzz. Facebook, too, has faced backlashes when it has changed privacy settings.

For most of us, this won’t be a huge issue. We use the service, and we welcome the chance to get more information. This means it will be easier to find Auntie Bessie’s pictures from the party, and what our best friends are up to. Google is right. That is what we want.

But recent history shows these sites and services go too far, while claiming they are trying to be helpful. Whenever I hear Google or Facebook are making a change “for the better” I know it will most likely end badly.

Will you opt in or opt out of the Google+ search? I, for one, am already searching for the “thank you, but not today,” button.

I don’t buy from the doorstep and I won’t put up with these sites trawling everywhere for anything. As I say, I am a simple man, and this whole Google business is too complicated. And as wiser minds have said, “if it looks too complicated – it probably shouldn’t happen.”

1. Albert De Castro

This concerns me for my privacy, but at the same time they only get what you share on social media. This means, if too much information of you is out, that's why you decided to share it once.
    Plus, I am using Google+ for a while now and I am loving it. It's usage is low, but the growth of the network is huge. It is more friendly user than Facebook, and more clean.

January 11, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  2. ana

A fascinating article Sir Richard.I am also searching for the ˝thank you,but not today,˝ button. Sometimes a life is too complicated itself and we simply need the simple solutions,although it seems sometimes as old-fashioned,but for the others things we simply haven´t time!

January 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
  3. Arthur N.

I don't see that much of a privacy issue since search+ is for your eyes only, and those of whom you've shared with. Plus, I've been loving Google+ since the launch. I feel my information is secure, and is being shared with only the right group of people in my circles.

Think about how "complicated" it must've seemed to search for answers on the internet 20 years ago. I welcome the innovation, it's an opportunity to further develop how we interact with the web. If my mother was able to log into G+ and start a hangout with me by herself, then I think Google is headed in the right direction to make "complicated" things simple for us all.

Cheers, and thank you for the article!

January 12, 2012 at 3:05 am |
  4. I agree'd with you

"And as wiser minds have said, “if it looks too complicated – it probably shouldn’t happen.”"

Really? Like, honestly? That's like saying an that an engine is complicated and therefor it shouldn't be happening. I mean it makes no sense, just cause something is complicated does not mean it shouldn't happen and who are these "wiser minds" because I've never heard it.

January 12, 2012 at 3:34 am |
  5. oo

Cool guys work at Google. Losers work at CNN

January 12, 2012 at 9:32 am |
  6. Anonymous?

If you want privacy then don't upload it to the internet – simple!

January 12, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  7. James

Facebook is required to have 20 years of privacy monitoring by the Federal Trade Commission not Google. I could be wrong but I'm not sure Google has faced any wrath from users. Well, not like Facebook has anyway.

January 12, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
  8. Rudi Rebstein

Privacy issue my ass!! Dude if you do not want your stuff all over the internet then manage your accounts accordingly.

January 12, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  9. Patrick

The first two sentences literally justify your entire opinion piece to have no practical value or meaning.

January 12, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
  10. Romit

Richard,
    Your argument lacks logical coherence. The main criticism seems to be of privacy, that it opens 'private' messages to others. That's nonsense. Privacy, and selective control via Circles, is built deep inside Google Plus. If you've posted something on Google Plus you have a very good idea and control on who has access to it.
    Given that, I agree with the new Google Social Search - I would consider what my circles feel about a search term valuable enough to have it included in my search results.

January 12, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  11. Mark Thomas

Google has unmarked spy vans trolling the world’s cities, photographing every street and secretly recording people’s network data without permission. It doesn’t matter if you don’t want them to do this, or if you manage your “accounts” or don’t upload stuff to the internet. They take what they want and then they sell it to third parties, and use their vast profits to do it again. If you use Google services or products (such as Android, a shameless, deliberate rip-off of a far better company's innovations) you are sad and soulless and have no integrity.

January 12, 2012 at 3:20 pm |
  12. Alex Povolotski

You know what frightens me? Not that Google collects all your personal data but the fact that the US government finances it... Something to think about.

January 12, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  13. Jeanne

Oh please, Google, Protect our privacy! My husband and children switched all of our private info and photos to Google+ when Facebook change their privacy settings. There are some things we do not want our friends to see, please respect that. We are simple people, and this whole Google business is too complicated. And as wiser minds have said, “if it looks too complicated – it probably shouldn’t happen.”

January 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
  14. jabroni

Google's too complex. I don't even have the Facebook and Twitter. These sites are part of the Big Brother.

January 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
  15. Google Boy

Google+ is complicated? Take 30 min and figure it out. Better yet if it's too complicated stay on facebook. I love G+, it's easy to use and I know exactly who I am sharing with. If this is complicated I'd hate to see how you handle the rest of your life. I also love the new search! GO GOOGLE GO!!

January 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  16. Google Boy

@Alex Povolotski Paranoid much?

January 13, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
  17. Dr.Redwan Mohammed Ahmed (DM)

!

January 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
  18. sameh

oh my god these Childrens bewitches miracles

January 26, 2012 at 4:38 am |
  19. Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.

HOLA,.señor corresponsal,Richar Quest,.yo soy TU amor,.yo soy LA PRINCESA Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.mira ayudame,.es de verdad,.sucede algo muy malo,.y yo no se controlar lo que sucede,.mira ayudame,. auxilio,AUXILIO,AUXILIO,.pero ene stos momentos yo pienso que debo ir a la moda,.yo tengo mi moneda para jugar en la moda,.pero yo quiero que tu me compres un vestido,.mira yo juego todos,.pero comprame BRIDESSMADE,.es una moda BRIDESS,.y tienen los colores,.siempre me gusta el rosa,.y tambien el rojo,siempre,.AHORA yo tengo que jugar porquee s a la ves mi poder internacional,.pero yo juego algo,.MIRA yo tengo que tener EL PODER DE MECANISMO,.yo tengo que tener el poder te prometo esplicarte todo,,...pero ayudame,.porfavor,.NO ME ABANDONES,..a ti yo no te insulto porque tu eers mi amigo,y no me lastimas,.yo se porque te estoy pidiendo ayuda,.tu tienes que defenderme,.yo no puedo sola tu tienes que defenderme,.hasta luego,.yo soy tu amor Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.y yo soy una mama,.yo tengo mi hija ques e llama NICOLE,.y yo quiero mucho a mi pequeña hija Nicole,.,.BUENO,. ahora sucede que el rey Claudio estuvo que confesar que yo soy una princesa imperio sur europa,.y ahora yo estuve que decir que tengo una hija adoptica por el momento que se llama Sofia,.ella es una china bloon,.PERO,mi hija se llama NICOLE,.esa es mi,mi, mi bebe,..mi pequeña niña,..

February 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
  20. Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.

HOLA,.yo soy LA PRINCESA Yisel ASngelica St.Inna hiajd e El rey DIVINO Gabriel,.mira señor corresponsal QUEST ene stos momentos estoy tratando de enviarte sufieciente imformacion para que puedas ayudarme,esto me ha costado un doalr y cincuenta centavos,y alguien mecanicamente se introduce a la computadora para borrara la imfoprmacion para que no puedas rec ibir la imformacion,.y el dinero ese chino no me va a devolver mi dinero,.COMPRENDE QUEE STOE S UN POCO DIFICIL,.porfavor por el momento solamente pyuedo pedir AUXILIO,AUXILIO,AUXILIO,.ya ves que dificil es esto yo pague una hora y media,.y yo no puedo enviar la imformacion,porque un loco me persiguio la pagina personal y borro la imformacion para que tu no puedes saber que esta sucediendo,.y solo puedo pedir porfavor AUXILIO,AUXILIO, auxilio,.alguien tienen que ayudarme,.sucede algo muy raro y sinceramnet etengo miedo,.HATSA LUEGO,yo soy LA PRINCESA Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.

February 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  21. Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.

HOLA,.yo soy LA PRINCESA Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.mi amor señor Quest,.mira yoe stoy tratandod e esplicarte lo quee sta sucediendo,.yoe stoy pidiendo AUXILIO,.pero yo no puedo alguien esta persiguendo y no puedo alguien me persigue,,.TE LO JURO,.pero tratare de esplicar algunas cosas hoy,.y para mañana te esplicare algunas otras cosas,.BUENO,SUCEDE QUE YO ESTOY ENE QUIPO EN INTERNET,.Y YO ESCRIBI ANTE MI EQUIPO PRESENTANDO IMFORMACIOBN IMOPORTANTE QUE ES DE UTILIDAD EN ESTSO MOMENTOS,mi equipo en internet TIENE imformacion escrita que yo presente escrita,.Y tambien veridica porque algunas personas de mi equipo vinieron a el pais Panama a observar,.algunos observaron de cerca y me pregunatron que?esta sucediendo,.porque quedaron asustados,.y una de las razones que quedaron asustados es que saben mas que yo como tienen que ser las cosas de una manera legal,y de manera honesta,.y como es correcto,y corresponde el orden de las cosas,.sin embargo los observadores quedaron asustados,.asi que hay imformacion veridica basad ene chos de la realidad,.entonces primeramente TIENES que saber que yo estoy en equipo con EL CONSEJO DE BANDERBILL,.estoy ene quipo con EL EL EL CONCILIO DE LAS SOMBRAS,.CON EL SUPPORT TECNICO,.que es autoridad mundial,ques e ha desplazado hacia diferentes areas internet,.y otras autoridades importantes,.que tambien estan en einternet,.y sucede que estas autorida-des,autoridades tienen autoridad.y poder en funcion,.y poder competente en diferentes naciones,paises,ciudades,. el mundo,.y desde luego poder en funcion a nivel INTERNET,.bueno,.mi secreto es el GAME MASTER,.uno de los GM,.ES DECIR GAME MASTER es conocido,.el señor Daemon,...bueno,sucede quee ste equipo quee s tambien mi equipo tiene imformacion importante,.BUENO,sucede que yo tambiene stoy ante una psicologa de twistter,.tambien entre a un hospital internet en google,.y hable con una de las psicologas de JUST,.el hospital internet me ayuda para que la psicologa me atienda,.PERO yo nos e que?esta sucediendo,.porque las dos sicologas quee stan ayudandome tienen suficiente imformacion,.yo presente imformacion por escrito para poder recibir ayuda,.BUENO,.estoe s todo por el momento gaste todo mi dinerito,.TE LO JURO,.si yo pudiera hacer hoy un pequeñoe sfuerzo pero yo gaste mis pequeños recursos para pedirte una ves mas AUXILIO,.porfavor AUXILIO,AUXILIO,.yo soy TU AMOR,.tu tienes que ayudarme,.y bueno,.HASTA LUEGO,.yo soy TU amor,.yo soy LA PRINCESA Yisel Angelica St.Inna hiaj de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel, y yo soy una mama,.yoy quiero a mi pequeña hija que se llama NICOLE,..

February 3, 2012 at 10:48 pm |
  22. Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel

HOLA,.mi amor,.señor corresponsal Richard Quest,.yo soy TU amiga,.yo soy LA PRINCESA Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.mira mi amor Richard Quest,.hoy es un dia para saludar a mis amigos,.estoy interesada en mirar algunas cosas que ver con Richard Quest,.porque hay bvastantes productos,.peroe s que no estoy muy acostumbrada a esos productos,.pero estaba mirando algunas cosas como por ejemplo los podscast,.bueno,.hoy para saludar,.me gustari hacerte una pregunta,.porfavor dime,.cuando viniste a visitar el pais Panama,.y yo se que tu viniste a visitar el pais Panama,.dime porque?no me saludaste,.bueno,.yo se que sufro algo un poco triste,.y a veces estoy disgustado,.y no hablo mucho con personas a si como tu,.PERO,.si te hubieses tomado la molestia de invitarme un cafe con seguridad hubiese aceptado,.BUENO,.mejor habalmos de eso otro dia,.PERO HOY TRATARE DE PRESENTAR UNA IMFORMACION MAS,.relacionada con la emergencia quee stoy presentando ante ti,.es decir ante Richard Quest,. bueno,.hasta luego,mi amor Richard Quest yo soy TU amor yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,..

February 5, 2012 at 4:22 am |
  23. Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.

HOLA,.yo soy LA PRINCESA Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,..hola,mi amor Richar Quest,.bueno,. como ya sabes yo estoy presentando una emergencia ante este espaciod e Richar Quest,.y estoy pidiendote ayuda una ves mas te pido AUXILIO,AUXILIO,AUXILIO,.las cosas parecen calmadas,.pero siento miedo,.mas que todo porque recuerdo que te escribi de que las autoridades de la ley,.y las autoridades de gobierno NO existen para ayudarme,.y yo tengo miedo,.te juro que lo que esta sucediendoe s bien estraño,.y yo te imforme el aspecto politico de este caso,. bueno,.ahora tee scribire una imformacion importante y despues de esta imformacion la proxima semana te escribire una imformacion diferente pero poco a poco hasta lograr esplicarte todo,.BUENO,sucede que yo estoy en equipo con un equipo importante,.bueno,.estoy en equipo con el consejo de BANDERBILL,..y con el consilio de las sombras,.y tambien estoy en equipo con el SUPPORT TECNICO,.bueno,.tienes que saber que yo soy en equipo con las autoridades mundial INTERNACIONALES,.y sucede que las autoridades mundial INTERNACIONALES se han desplazado hacia INTERNET,. entonces INTERNET,tiene diferentes areas,.y por esa razon algunas personas con las que hablo en algunas de las paginas internet,..mas que todo en mi pagina e-mail personal,.bueno,algunas de estas importantes personas son autoridades mundial internacional,y tambien autoridades a nivel de nacion,o pais,.o lideres,.BUENO,.estoy en equipo con EL GAME MASTER,.uno de las personas de el GM,GAME MASTER es mi autoridad mundial INTERNACIONAL,............el señor DAEMON,..bueno,.este equipo tiene imformacion escrita que yo presente,.pero tambien algunas autoridades y otras personas del equipo estuvieron observando de cerca los acontecimientos,.y quedaron asustados preguntand---me,.preguntandome que es eso que?es,.entonces yo le conteste es esa la razon por la cual estoy escribiendo presentando imformacion ante el consejo de BANDERBILL,.porque tiene que existir una solucion,.tiene que haber una forma de tratar los diferentes problemas,.yo de verdad no puedo enfrentar sola lo que esta sucediendo,.entonces como puedes comprender este equipo,quee s tambien mi equipo es alguien que tiene imformacion importante que en este momento puede ayudarme,.BUENO,sucede que yo tambien estoy ante una medico psicologa de twistter.,la psicologa me atiende por medio de un hospital internet relacionado con twistter,.PERO,.sucede algo yo he presentado imformacion muy dificil,.es decir imformacion importante ante la psicologa,y me he visto en la necesidad de peirle ayuda a la psicologa,.y yo quiero epdir ayuda,.porque la psicologa tiene que confiar un poquito en mi porque yo soy una paciente,.y estoy disgustada porque la psicologa puede ayudarme y yo estoy segura,.pero sucede que la psicologa d etwisttere sta ocultando imformacion importante,.y ella puede rescatarme sino oculta toda la imformacion,.y sucede que yo tambien estoy en equipo con un hospital internet de google,.y por medio del hospital de google,.sucede que yo empece uan seccion de psicologia con una medico psicologo de JUST,.y yo le presente imformacion importante a la psicologa de Just,.ella personalmente sabe QUE YO QUIERO MUCHO A mi pequeña hija que se llama Nicole,..bueno,. hoy te he presentado esta importante imformacion,.espero que puedas ayudarme,.una ves mas pido AUXILIO,AUXILIO,.... porfavor AUXILIO,.bueno,..HASTA LUEGO,.yo soy LA PRINCESA Yisel Angelica St.Inna hija de EL rey DIVINO Gabriel,.. y yo soy una mama,.yo tengo mi pequeña hija que se llama NICOLE,..y yo quiero a mi hija Nicole,..

February 5, 2012 at 5:06 am |
  24. Tu zona tecnologica

Hi there, I found your site via Google while looking for a related subject, your site got here up, it seems great. I have added to favourites|added to bookmarks.

April 25, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  25. Apply Loan Online

Great work! This is the kind of information that are meant to be shared around the net. Shame on Google for not positioning this put up higher! Come on over and consult with my site . Thank you =)

July 27, 2012 at 7:30 am |
  26. icons downloads

What words... super, a remarkable phrase

October 8, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
  27. Sherer

i acquired my set of two gascans on april 30 i finally recieved them today overdue 12th!! incredible!! i couldn't consider they had that long, but my companion does attain an explanation from amazon online why it received that long.
    Sherer http://moviepinions.com/the-bicycle-hat-bib-is-usually-a-razor-sharp-shopping-item-of-supplies-with-a-lot-of-options/

January 17, 2013 at 2:45 am |