January 25th, 2012
04:24 PM GMT

London (CNN) – It’s official - Davos does not have the moves to attract Jagger.

The Rolling Stone frontman was supposed to be one of the more unusual guests at this year’s World Economic Forum, attending a tea party thrown by British Prime Minister David Cameron. But unfortunately for Cameron, you can’t always get what you want.

In a statement released Monday, Jagger said he was pulling out of the event, over fears he will be used as a "political football." Sir Mick  – a knight of the realm - said he was worried about people making inaccurate judgements over his political allegiances and, as a result, was declining his invitation.

You have to feel a little sorry for Cameron. He’s already short enough of friends in Europe after his brinkmanship at last month’s EU summit in Brussels. That said, this may well be a blessing in disguise - relations between the UK PM and French President Nicolas Sarkozy are already tense enough, without him showing up with one of Carla Bruni’s former lovers.

Cameron may also be reminded of previous UK prime ministers’ attempts to mix music with politics. Tony Blair is forever haunted by a marginally cringeworthy soiree with Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher at 10 Downing Street, the prime ministerial residence.

Perhaps the most interesting part of Jagger’s statement is the comment that he’s "always been interested in economics and world events" - after all, he did at one point study at the London School of Economics.  Peer into his back catalogue and the signs have always been there: the B-side of the Stones’ first ever EP was in fact a song called "Money" (sample lyric: "Your love gave me such a thrill/But your love won’t pay the bills/I want money”). Perhaps a live performance would have been appropriate at Davos, followed by "Ain’t Too Proud To Beg," and an encore of "Gimme Shelter" for the Occupy protesters holed up in igloos.

So how does Davos replace the swagger of Jagger? Last year it was Bono who bought some much-needed rock and roll to the proceedings, but this year the usual economic ‘rock stars’ like Nouriel Roubini and Christine Lagarde lack the necessary musical pedigree. Look no further then than Japanese-American violinist Midori. She’s hosting an interactive session in Davos on Thursday, that promises to “change lives around the world with the power of music." See you down the front.

1. rando

"MONEY" WAS A BEATLES SONG. GET YOUR KNIGHTED ROCKERS RIGHT, AND AN "EP" IS THAT AN EXTENDED PLAY 45 OR WERE YOU REFERING TO A LP 33 1\3 RPM LICORICE PIZZA?

January 26, 2012 at 12:09 am |
  2. Patrick

is Davos supposed to be David, or do I just not know what Davos is?

January 26, 2012 at 3:44 am |
  3. tivoce

Patrick- Davos is the location in Switzerland where the event is being held.
    Rando – Well played.

January 26, 2012 at 4:07 am |
  4. sameh

very sad situation See the elephant is dying and die

January 26, 2012 at 4:07 am |
  5. edward

Davos got no moves like Jagger.

January 26, 2012 at 4:46 am |
  6. oldswede

Hey rando!
    "Money" was recorded by both the Beatles and the Stones, but neither wrote it. The song was first released on Motown and was the labels first big hit. Berry Gordy, Motown founder and Janie Bradford were the writers and it was recorded in 1959 by Barrett Strong.

January 26, 2012 at 5:12 am |
  7. Big Bang

Maybe the UK PM can invite some Argentine fella. haha !

January 26, 2012 at 8:32 am |
  8. jerryberry

Peculiar how these exponents do nothing to replace the trees or even compensate a fraction for the toll they take from nature as they leave enormous environmental footprints in the form of DAMAGE, burning 8.000kg of aviation fuel to have a certain croissant somewhere. Robert Plants, Claptons, Eltons,Jaggers, and the like do nothing except on occasion help humans and art, but never nature. With so little they could regenerate entire forests. I am miserable compared to them and yet I have regenerated, at my own expense, a considerable area. We must return what we take!! So why do Bonos´s participate in Davos? Publicity? "Look how nice I am"

January 26, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  9. jerryberry

Peculiar how these exponents do nothing to replace the trees or even compensate a fraction for the toll they take from nature as they leave enormous environmental footprints in the form of DAMAGE, burning 8.000kg of aviation fuel to have a certain croissant somewhere or to buy a Channel purse. Robert Plants, Claptons, Eltons,Jaggers, and the like do nothing except on occasion help humans and art, but never nature. With so little they could regenerate entire forests. I am miserable compared to them and yet I have regenerated, at my own expense, a considerable area. We must return what we take!! So why do Bonos´s participate in Davos? Publicity? "Look how nice I am"

January 26, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  10. jerryberry

jaggers, plants, eltons, they do nothing to return what they take from nature, nothing at all.

January 26, 2012 at 9:41 am |
  11. yo

yoyoyoyoyooyooyooyooyooyoyoyoyoyoy yo

January 26, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  12. yo

yo yo yo yo yo my name is joe i live in mexico yo yo

January 26, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  13. mistahkurtz98

Davos is in Switzerland? Anything happening there other than the Rich and Infamous enjoying a 10-star Skiing Vacation? I mean, these are the people serving International Banking Cartel which is just about ready to bring the economic world to its knees. Bravo Sir Mick Jagger for bowing out of the conspiracy. Some people can't be bought. Some people have principles. Those that can be bought and don't have principles get elected President and Prime Minister.

January 26, 2012 at 11:28 am |
  14. eman

View the fetus during birth

January 26, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
  15. Blessed Geek

Do
    All
    Vomit
    Out
    Silently
    ?

January 27, 2012 at 3:41 am |
  16. career path

I have read a few good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to create this kind of wonderful informative site.

May 18, 2012 at 4:35 am |
  17. http://gswhw.net

hey there and thanks for your info ? I have certainly picked up anything new from proper here. I did on the other hand expertise a few technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the web site a lot of occasions prior to I may just get it to load correctly. I had been puzzling over if your web hosting is OK? Not that I am complaining, but slow loading cases times will often have an effect on your placement in google and can damage your high-quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I'm adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot extra of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this once more soon..

July 29, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
  18. tvonline

It is the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have read this submit and if I may just I desire to counsel you few fascinating things or tips. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I want to learn more things about it!

September 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm |