February 27th, 2012
04:55 AM GMT

Barcelona (CNN) - It seemed only fitting that I use my mobile phone to make my way to Barcelona for the Mobile World Congress, so for the first time I downloaded my boarding pass to my iPhone, checked in while on a bus, and handed my phone to the British Airways check-in staff upon arrival at Terminal Five. She did not blink an eye. I'm not sure why I waited so long to fully use the BA app.

Then, of course, I promptly turned my phone off after getting to the gate, and then had to stand aside to restart the damn thing (why does the iPhone take so long to boot up?).

Lesson learned.

Then we were packed into the A321 full of tech geeks and gurus. I had a look around and saw the normal amount of iPhones, BlackBerrys and iPads. But I also noticed a healthy number of Nokia phones with Windows OS. Nokia’s Lumia phone was a star at the CES in January. We await Nokia's press conference Monday to see what handsets Europeans can get their hands on.
Of course HTC, Samsung, Huawei, Blackberry and the rest will also have something to say.

I want to have a good look at any of their new super fast quad-core devices – only a year on from dual-core phones hitting the market.

Then there is the so-called hybrid devices – bigger than a phone and smaller than a tablet. Think of a 5-inch screen. Samsung and LG are leading this drive. But it’s too big for my pocket, right?

I've also read of a new tablet with a detachable phone (sounds fun) that would negate the need for a hybrid.

We then have to get used to Android 4.0, with the tasty codename “Ice Cream Sandwich.” With Android quickly taking half the smart phone OS pie, any hardware maker showing off 4.0 deserves a look in.

There will also be a car unveiled at Barcelona – a first for Mobile World. Stay tuned for that one.

Oh, and forgive any spelling mistakes, I write everything at this conference on my beloved BB Bold.

When in Barcelona...

Posted by: ,
Filed under: MobileNokiaTechnology

1. Htc-man

well said.

February 27, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  2. alfana

HOT VIDEOS MP4/3GP @ http://www.nextmobs.com

February 27, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  3. Hugo

It's curious how recently we started reading a lot about the Nokia Lumia. The author of this post even stresses that there were many on a recent flight from London to Barcelona. I find that very strange (this is an euphemism). I travel a lot (UK, Spain, Portugal, Angola, Moçambique) and I haven't seen a single Lumia on any of my recent flights. I'm a tech geek and I always look around for what other people are using. Lots of iPhones. Lots of Android phones (Samsung and LG, mostly). Lots of iPads. No Lumias, however... I have to give kuddos to the marketing guys at Nokia. At least they're trying, using everything in their power...

February 27, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
  4. jakson

Strangest way to the marriage application

February 29, 2012 at 8:43 am |
  5. web site

Very valuable information, I am very grateful,I agree with your Blog and I will be back to check it more in the future~~~ so please keep up your work. web site

August 17, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
  6. icon package

Completely I share your opinion. It is good idea. It is ready to support yu.

hpixel