April 4th, 2012
10:37 AM GMT

Editor’s note: The Millennials are a generation that are constantly plugged in and moving fast to make their mark on the world. CNN’s Quest Means Business is tracking four of them. In this episode, Intern Latin America's David Lloyd comes to London and tests some potential new staffers while trainee actor Michael Burbach gets ready for the working world. In this guest blog, Michael explains why the theatre remains such an important art form.

New York (CNN) – “Ladies and gentlemen, the performance of [title of show] will begin shortly. Please turn off all cell phones and electronic devices. Thank you, and enjoy the show.”

The lights are dimmed, the first few notes from the orchestra are played, and the curtain is raised. I take a big, slow breath as the first moments of a Broadway show begin. Only the stage exists, time dissolves. I’m lost in the Magic of the Theatre.

Oh, wait. No. I’m still on earth. I’m reminded of this by the pinprick of light in my peripheral vision. My eyes unglue themselves from the actors to investigate the star amidst the sea of audience.

The Magic comes to a screeching halt as I realize I am not, in fact, in Oz, or Argentina, or anywhere else my $26.50 student ticket has led me to believe I am. I am in the West 40s in the New York City. And someone is on their cell phone. Texting. In the middle of a Broadway show.

As infuriating as it is, it’s actually not all that hard to believe. Arguments, breakups, makeups, and other confrontations are often dealt with via text these days.

You’re not really in a relationship until it’s FBO (Facebook Official). You can skip commercials on your TiVo and you set up dates on website Plenty of Fish. You don’t even need to speak to a human to buy your tickets to the Broadway show - the automated voice on the line will take care of that for you.

It’s no surprise people find it difficult to keep their cell phones off while Bernadette Peters is singing Sondheim on stage in front of them. They’ll just watch it on YouTube later.

But we are humans. Like Fanny Brice in Funny Girl, we need people. Our grip on reality and communication is changing rapidly. I know the urge for real human connection is within all of us, but it’s so much easier to simply hide behind the screen of white, glowing light. Real talk is starting to become too scary.

This is why theatre is so important. Even with the distraction of someone in the audience on their phone, theatre is real. There’s no digital barrier between the audience and the performers. There’s no a safe wall of shiny plastic to protect you. No fast-forwarding. Theatre forces humanity in front of you in real time, in tangible reality. In an age where that is becoming less common, I can’t think of an art form that is needed more.

1. MP4/3GP ADULT VIDEOS, GET IT NW 14YR N ABOVE

just watching, getin started 1 2 3

April 4, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  2. greencook

Theater in the US is for the rich; even the middle class cannot afford such luxury ticket prices. The government only support Art for the Rich.

April 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  3. greencook

Theater in American is only for the rich.

April 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  4. Karen

Great article. Theater is truly important. To greencook, No! theater is not just for the rich – check out community theater in your area, or a high school or grammar school paly. They are inspiring!!

April 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  5. LIBBY

So true-wonderful blog! keep them coming...

April 4, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  6. sameh

Beware of entry Algulwowob horror seriously impaired

April 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  7. Khaled

Hi there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wenatd to give a quick shout out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your articles. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same subjects? Thanks a lot!

May 17, 2012 at 7:29 am |
  8. JoilaGarsi

July 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  9. Novozorovs

Девочки, может подскажете? В кои то веки решила закупиться косметикой русской, нашла
    сайт новой зари novzar ru – какие у них новинки кому нравятся? спасибо!

July 29, 2012 at 2:46 am |
  10. NickolasCa

Девчонки, привет, а не расскажете ли мне про духи Новая Заря, а то один магазин я
    нашла aromatel ру, где много всего, а глаза разбежались. Нужно для подарка, кто чем
    пользуется, что нравится? aromatel.ru

August 6, 2012 at 7:56 am |
  11. icons designs

The message is removed

November 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
  12. Best buy electronics

Great goods from you, man. I have be mindful your stuff previous to and you're just too great. I actually like what you've acquired here, certainly like what you are saying and the way in which wherein you are saying it. You're making it enjoyable and you still take care of to stay it sensible. I can't wait to learn far more from you. That is really a wonderful web site.

March 14, 2013 at 4:51 pm |