April 6th, 2012
07:53 AM GMT

(Image credit: Getty Images)

(CNN) – Samsung is predicting a record boost to its profits for the start of 2012, thanks to burgeoning smartphone sales.

The South Korean technology giant expects an operating profit of $5.15 billion for the first three months of the year - almost double the figure it reached a year ago, according to its press release.

Total revenue was 45 trillion won ($38 billion).

The company is thought to have outpaced Apple in the smartphone market during this period, thanks largely to the success of its Galaxy range of handsets.

“Its latest smartphone Galaxy Note proved more popular than expected as Apple did not launch any new model in the last quarter,” Park Kang-ho at Daishin Securities told the Financial Times.

“Samsung is likely to renew its profit record in the second and third quarters, as Apple is its only competitor in the high-end smartphone market.”

However, Samsung has also been fighting a series of legal battles with Apple, with both sides claiming copyright infringements on products such as Apple’s iPhone and iPad.

Apple vs. Samsung: The battlelines

Shares in Samsung - Asia's most valuable technology firm and the world's biggest manufacturer of memory chips and liquid crystal displays - closed down 1.4%, after charging to a record 1.11 million won earlier this week in anticipation of an upbeat forecast.

Posted by:
Filed under: AsiaSouth KoreaTechnology

1. Max

Apple is quickly loosing it`s edge. If it hasn't lost it already.

April 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
  2. Gary

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S2 for awhile and love it. Samsung make great Android OS smartphones and their sales reflect this.

April 6, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  3. Gina

I had the Samsung Fasinate and was by far the worse phone ever. I will never buy another Samsung product again. Their customer service was just as bad as their phone.

April 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  4. sameh

What happens if Joe threw hot water ice

April 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  5. Jennifer

I just wish Samsung would fix the battery alarm!!! ITS THE MOST ANNOYING THING!!!!!!!!!!!

April 6, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  6. Nick

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII X, and it is by far the best phone I've ever had, and this is from a previous Apple fanboy.

April 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
  7. Orville Boutilier

What you don't know is that their factories (in Mexico) are no better than Apple's suppressive environment in China. I am preparing a brief on the subject for publication. In Mexico, the average line worker makes (take home) about 800 pesos per week which is less than $US80.00. Samsung has been outsourcing labor to agencies that, while making a tidy profit off the efforts of the workers, cares nothing about their standard of living. For example, if you're a half hour late for work (for ANY reason) you are docked 1/2 day pay, or 100 pesos (under $10.00). They might be proud of their profit, but they will be quite ashamed of how they got there, at least when I'm through. I am shocked that a company who prides themselves on all things nice and tidy, would allow such a dirty practice to go on inside their operations. Shame on them.

April 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  8. MP4/3GP ADULT VIDEOS, GET IT NW 14YR N ABOVE

i need just 5 million to get all my problems solved

April 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
  9. For Orville Boutilier

About using slave-rate labor..., its happening all over the world, factories in China and India have been doing this, the whole idea about this being unfair is purely western, if the industries are taken away then the laborers shall be worse off, if asked about improving their conditions then samsung shall ask for lower tax rates...

ITS ALL A GAME

April 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
  10. Desmond

I bought a Samsung smartphone instead of an Apple iPhone two years ago. It was a horrible phone and I finally gave it away and bought an iPhone. Since then I bought 4S iPhones for my family, mother, wife, 7 year old son and a second iPhone for myself. I am very satisfied and will NEVER buy a Samsung again (even if they have come out with a better phone since then)

April 7, 2012 at 1:35 am |
  11. Orville Boutilier

Because corporate behavior is somehow taken less seriously by the public than personal behavior, corporations seem to have a whole other set of standards. The standards for many things here are different than the USA, but when a married father of 2 brings home $80.00 a week in an economy that is not too much different than state-side, it makes for a difficult lifestyle. This for a man working full shifts. Rent, food, utilities, and transportation, it adds up here like it adds up there. $320.00 per month is a nothing income and Samsung should know that. That is bad corporate behavior, and it is not taken seriously. In China, you have a different economy, they are not paying two bucks or more for a loaf of bread.

April 7, 2012 at 6:09 am |
  12. pinakibgl

The company is having a clear advantage over Apple in the smartphone market because of the success of its Galaxy range of handsets....but these phones still need some modifications...not so user friendly.

April 7, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  13. John

Samsung phones are great. In my opinion the best Android phones out there. I honestly think the interface is great. I feel like Apple is more about aesthetics (especially for laptops). I like to use my Galaxy as my phone and then my iTouch as my MP3 player. Works out well as I get the best of both worlds.

April 8, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
  14. DallasMarine

Samsung smartphones have been my preferred choice since 2008. I love my Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet and Galaxy S Epic II phone. Used to be Motorola was my choice thanks to the old Razr and Rokr models, but two buggy Droid X phones in a row that I swapped out within a 10 minute period put me off. Apple phones? No thank you.

April 13, 2012 at 6:26 am |
  15. sameh

learn english for free by video

April 16, 2012 at 12:51 am |
  16. Levi

It's a shame you don't have a donate button!
    I'd certainly donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll settle for book-marking
    and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to brand new updates and will share this site with my Facebook group.

Chat soon!