August 30th, 2012
11:12 AM GMT

London (CNN) – From the budget, to economic benefits, to the legacy: No-one is talking about the Paralympics’ bottom line.

Perhaps it’s because Team GB and the London 2012 organization were so impressive, leaving the country revelling in the medal haul rather than totting up the bill.

The nation has gone sports-mad, now embracing the lesser-known (but I’ll bet just as exciting to watch), paralympic sports, from Murderball (think of it as wheelchair rugby) to Boccia (like bowls, but for athletes whose disabilities impact on their motor skills).

But - despite all this goodwill - the UK economy is refusing to play ball.

The economy is expected to grow in the third quarter of this year - but analysts don’t expect it to fully recover ground lost over the previous three months.

The Bank of England is worried that the economy will remain flat this year, and while UK unemployment has fallen, output has shrunk.

Sponsors line up for Paralympics

Economists tell me the much heralded “Olympic effect” will likely to be broadly neutral, across sectors such as transport, hotels and to retail.

Mega events, even those the size of the Olympics, are not the panacea to a nation’s economic woes.

But did we really expect those fundamental economic problems to wash away like a British summer?

What the Olympic Games have done, and I expect the Paralympics to reinforce, is foster a feel-good factor and a change in attitude towards Britain and its businesses.

The mood is more positive and proud, inside and out. Call it “enlightenment,” if you like - which happens to be the title of the Paralympic opening ceremony.

And maybe that is how we will get back to growth.

Every chief executive I’ve spoken to for Marketplace Europe has had a positive outlook, a can-do attitude and a desire to rise above challenges presented by the global economic slowdown. They are not wallowing in bad news.

These leaders view the economic crisis as a test of strength and endurance. They are thinking like elite sportsmen, like the paralympian super-humans who have trained so hard to compete in London’s games.

Next week, from the cheap seats in the Olympic Stadium, I’ll be cheering them on.

1. gaz

Unfortunately, I don't think positive thinking is going to make debt disappear.

September 4, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
  2. Best Restaurants Minneapolis Minnesota

Pretty portion of content. I just stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to claim that I get actually loved account your blog posts. Anyway I will be subscribing in your augment and even I achievement you get admission to constantly rapidly.

October 4, 2012 at 9:17 am |
  3. icon download

Absolutely with you it agree. Idea good, it agree with you.

October 8, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
  4. UPDATE THIS ANNOUNCEMENT ON THE NET AND ON THE NEWS PAPERS A ROUND THE INTERNATIONAL NEWSPAPERS

WE ARE FORMING THE NEW POLITICAL PARTY TO CHANGE THE GOVERNMENT LEADERS AT SOUTH SUDANESE STATES.
    THE REASON WHY WE ARE WILLING TO LET THE WORLD DEMOCRACIES LEADERS KNOW MORE ABOUT US AND WE BELIEVING THAT REPUBLICAN PARTY ARE THE FATHER OF THE DEMOCRACIES AROUND THE WORLD. THERE IS NO REASON THE FATHER OF THE WORLD COULD BUILD UP A OTHER DICTATORIAL LEADERS AT SOUTH SUDAN.
    THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN WAS BEEN FIGHTING FOR THESE KINDS OF HUMAN RIGHTS DURING OF THE ROYALTIES PRESIDENT OF AMERICAN NATIONS FREE ALL CITIZENS OF UNITED STATES FROM SLAVERS AND TODAY THEY ARE LIVING INEQUALITIES AS THE ONE NATIONS UNDER ONE HEAVEN FATHER FOREVER
    WE ARE GIVING YOU OUR TWO LEADERS NAMES Mr. L.T. GENERAL DAVID YAO YAO AND CHAIRMAN FOR TWO AGENCIES SSRF/SSRP AND COLONEL Mr. JOHN WIYULA CHUOL CHUOL,.
    WE WOULD LIKE TO ESTABLISH CONTACT WITH NATIONAL AMERICAN WORLD LEADERS BASE FROM OUR FRIENDS RP AND FOREIGNNESS RELATION OFFICIALS

October 16, 2012 at 9:52 am |
  5. Chukwuka o Ndukwe

Across the boarder networking is very very rich

October 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
  6. Gabriel Hosting VPS

Magnificent beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped me a applicable deal. I were tiny bit familiar of this your broadcast offered brilliant transparent concept

January 4, 2013 at 4:22 am |
  7. publicidade campinas

Magnificent put up, very informative. I ponder why the other experts of this sector do not realize this. You should continue your writing. I am sure, you have a huge readers' base already!|What's Taking place i'm new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to contribute & aid other customers like its aided me. Good job.

March 9, 2013 at 6:23 am |