September 21st, 2012
05:50 PM GMT

London (CNN) – When you read that something from Apple may not be working, the frenzy in the blogosphere is amazing to watch.

Especially when there are hundreds of people lined up 50 meters from where I write, in order to get a new iPhone complete with the problem. They are ignoring us!

Can Windows 8 compete with iPhone?

This time around, it's not the antenna or a silly voice command system still in beta. It's the very reason people like me love a smartphone - the map.

I can listen to songs, make calls and take photos with other devices, if I so desire (I am too lazy to, though) but I want maps at my fingertips, linked nicely to an email that has an address in it.

A few hours ago, I borrowed an iPhone 4 from a colleague who stupidly upgraded to iOS6 (he lost all his pictures and music and had to reload from the cloud - just as Apple warns will happen on older phones - and he of course also lost Google Maps) and walked around London.

Fear mobile technology? Look away now!

Boy, are these maps screwed up. The closest bar to the office closed more than a year ago and is listed. Sometimes. Other times I searched and the new coffee shop was there.

So, it's blending old and new data streams. Meanwhile the movie theatre at Westfields in Stratford East London (next to the Olympic Park) was firmly placed on Stratford Place, off Oxford St. It's currently a building site.

But, let's be real here. Apple was tired of having its newest enemy, Google, get access to its customers so of course it had to do its own maps, just like Nokia does. So Apple will fix this. It will get better, but not quickly enough for me.

The world's hottest smartphones

I love Street View, which I use for professional and personal reasons. I'm just getting used to using it on my old iPhone 4. Now, I have one less reason to upgrade the operating system.

I do just wonder if those headlines that this could be a small window of opportunity for poor Nokia or for HTC are also overblown?

Nokia has been pushing, rightly, its superior mapping services on its phones (I have not tested the new Lumia so I can't say how much better it is), but from the lines of people I saw today in and around the Apple Store (I still don't get that, I just don't), I doubt very much any company but Google can make hay from this.

1. Mar70

I bet Steve Jobs would have not allowed this to come out yet, he would have waited months until this was corrected, to avoid a disappointed crowd... He would have preferred an anxious crowd. But in either case Apple is getting behind too quickly.. maybe they should open offices in S. Korea to speed up LOL!

September 21, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
  2. Samsung Galaxy

Just throw that apple iphone into the garbage.

Buy a Samsung Galaxy. Bigger screen, super fast, and, yes, Google Maps! Plus. Who wants to wait in line to purchase a $500 phone?

My Samsung Galaxy came in a cool box, right to my front door. Simple.

September 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
  3. J

This would have never happened if Steve Job was alive.

He was a hands on perfectionist.

Now Samsung is.

September 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
  4. stormyparis

Steve Jobs was there when we were holding it wrong, when they release the mighty mouse, when they denied the malware people were asking for help about, when they posed as law enforcement officials, when they cut the FM radio out of the iPhone...

Apple has been thumbing its nose at its customers for a while now.

September 21, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  5. Chloe1111

i love the i Phon

September 21, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
  6. a guy

The guy made a mistake, im sure he wants to stick with iOS 5 not iOS 4....

September 22, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  7. dan

There is one other solution, you can run Google Maps in a Safari Browser. Not as elegant as the Google Maps app but better than the maps from Apple.

September 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  8. Serbian

Yup, maybe it can be used in London, but what happens if you live in some smaller city, like I do? If London maps are so bad, I wonder how do they look for Belgrade?

September 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  9. PANATAG

+no ride no helmet
    IT IS OUR RIGHTS TO ASSERT FOR PEACEFUL LIVING*
    during ROAD TRAVEL*
    DURING WATCHING MOVIES*

September 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
  10. Martinez

This i-phone is very help in my business delivery goods. Thanks for lunching i-phone sharing information good morning !

September 24, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  11. ex-apple-fan-as-of-IOS6

I rue the day I "upgraded" to IOS6 on my iPhone4. We used to hate Microsoft for pushing out less than ready products owing to their dominant position in the market. Now Apple is doing exactly the same thing! I'll boycott Apple products and will tell our my friends to do so until they wake up that they cannot take loyalty for granted!

September 24, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  12. yourblueprinttosuccess

Reblogged this on Your BluePrint to Success and commented:
    This is amazing too.

September 25, 2012 at 6:09 am |
  13. kai

LOL at those fanboys in line during the interview. Losers!

September 26, 2012 at 5:04 am |
  14. Rahul

Ummm. Correction! Jim at last says... "No Thank for now Apple. I will stick to iOS 4" He meant to say iOS 5 I guess.

September 26, 2012 at 11:37 am |
  15. Yuri

@zebraboekThe GPS will find your location wuitoht an internet connection. But you will need to have pre-cached (loaded) your maps. If you haven't cached your map ahead of time, then google maps does need an internet connection to load the map. GPS isn't a data connection. I was coming back through Hong Kong and was planning a half day tour around the city, before heading out i loaded the maps over wifi and when i was out and about i was still able to use the map wuitoht the interwebz

October 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  16. mzhabib

Reblogged this on Muhammad Zafar Habib's Home.

October 25, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  17. MR RICH QUEST: PANATAG

LAURA CHURCH

*DUTIES LOCAL OFFICIALS TO ENFORCE DECLARATIONS OF
    AUTHORITIES DUE TO VARIOUS UNSETTLED, MULTI CULTURAL ISSUES*

*PRIMARY OBLIGATION CHURCH OFFICIALS TO RELAY SENTIMENTS SPECIALLY OF ITS OWN MEMBERS & NOT ASSISTS IN PERFECT ACCOMPLISHMENT OF CRIMES*

*PLS ASSISTS US IN IDENTIFYING THE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES

*LEGAL REASONS WHY THE AUTHORITIES CHOOSE TO DISPLAY THEM IN DOWNTOWN AREAS

*RESTRICT FROM MIS USE ABUSE OF USING YOUR PLACE MANY PEOPLE SUFFER & CONTINUE TO SUFFER DUE TO ACCIDENTS
    MOST VICTIMIZED PLACE

"ACCIDENT PRONE AREA"

January 19, 2013 at 12:38 am |
  18. Mr. NATE PARK

I love iPhone for application.......
    It is still good GPS for me especially when I ride bicycle along the bike trail.....

January 22, 2013 at 2:32 am |
  19. Chae Stubblefield

About 69 million tonnes of apples were grown worldwide in 2010, and China produced almost half of this total. The United States is the second-leading producer, with more than 6% of world production. Turkey is third, followed by Italy, India and Poland. Apples are often eaten raw, but can also be found in many prepared foods (especially desserts) and drinks. Many beneficial health effects have been found from eating apples; however, two forms of allergies are seen to various proteins found in the fruit."

My own, personal internet site

April 20, 2013 at 7:36 am |