December 7th, 2012
07:22 AM GMT

Hong Kong (CNN) – While China has become the world's second largest economy, doing business in China is now perceived to be more corrupt, according to Transparency International.

China dropped five spots to 80th place out of 176 countries surveyed in the 2012 Corruption Perceptions Index. "The world's leading economies should lead by example, making sure that their institutions are fully transparent and their leaders are held accountable. This is crucial since their institutions play a significant role in preventing corruption from flourishing globally," said Cobus de Swardt, managing director of the Berlin-based corruption watchdog.

Denmark, Finland, New Zealand, Sweden and Singapore topped the list as the cleanest countries to do business in the world, according to the survey released Wednesday. Somalia, North Korea, Afghanistan, Sudan and Myanmar ranked at the bottom.

The United States was ranked 19th in the world, below Japan and the UK and ahead of Chile and Uruguay.

China isn't the only emerging economic giant to perform poorly on the index. India was ranked 94th, a step up from last year's ranking. Russia was 133rd, 10 places higher than 2011.

In Europe, Greece - whose ailing economy faces tough austerity measures to meet international standards to get bailout cash - plummeted to 94th place on the list, down from the 80th spot last year.

Corruption Perceptions Index 2012 - Top 25

20. (tie) Uruguay

22. Bahamas

22. (tie) France

22. (tie) Saint Lucia

25. Austria

25. (tie) Ireland

Read the rest of the story

1. santafegreencleaning

Reblogged this on santafegreencleaning.

December 7, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  2. physic

Amazing blog! I dont consider Ive observed all of the angles of this topic the way in which youve pointed them out. Youre a true star, a rock star man. Youve got so much to say and know a great deal regarding the topic that i think you ought to just teach a class about itHaHa!

December 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  3. shtakett

CNN, is desperate – posting virtually the same articles for the second day in the row.

December 9, 2012 at 3:07 am |
  4. shtakett

@physic
    You are not gonna full us, fake-comment-bot. Like I said – CNN is desperate, – employing "copy-pasters". Ha-ha, so funny. Just Google what this "physic" had wrote above!!! Right – the same comment all over the web.

December 9, 2012 at 3:14 am |
  5. shtakett

And were did the reply button go???
    Oh, right, censorship.

December 9, 2012 at 3:16 am |
  6. george argiriou

Hi, i am making comments to your (CNN) blogs for years.Now that i want to right for the most serious things my country,greece,blocks my comments.I hope this will pass through.

December 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm |
  7. george argiriou

If my next comment (the third) do not pass then the block is obvious.

December 21, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  8. george argiriou

I am from greece but i am a citizen of the world.

December 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  9. george argiriou

In 24 hours there will be an erthquake in the island of Santorini of greece.It will be 6.2 Rihter and 40km under the sea level.

December 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  10. george argiriou

There will be a train accident in Pakistan too.

December 21, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  11. george argiriou

I think only about Sofia but it seems it is a faraway dream.

December 21, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
  12. george argiriou

I demant to get my civil (health) rights back.

December 21, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  13. george argiriou

I am already in the mood to kill some people that underastimate my inteligens and my manhoud.I never thought i would came to such state.How things go when i'll be back to roole the holly town i will be killing people and my white outfit will become red from their blood in a very little time.

December 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  14. george argiriou

After the injury for some months ,almost everyday,i was peuking before i go to school.

December 26, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
  15. george argiriou

Goodmorning.I have a suggestion to make to everybody.When someone wants to say the word whoore sould instead say the name keta.keta is the biggest whoore of the planet ever.she is old ,ugly body and soul, and her beast is the church.she turned a russian woman who was friend to me ,to my enemy,with a whoore way manner.Unfortunatly she happens to be greek.

January 16, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
  16. george argiriou

keta is pronaunts kaita.

January 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm |
  17. george argiriou

in greek it is καίτη ή κέτα.

January 16, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
  18. wwjw

Who released this report? China is China,not Chile!!!!!!!!!How can the writer make such a mistake?

January 18, 2013 at 6:35 am |